How much do you spend on clothes?

I am 49 so probably don't qualify as "young", but I spend typically $100-200 per year. This year will be closer to the higher end as I need a new winter coat.

It might be interesting to compare spending between men and women also. I am fairly unusual as a woman (at least among my circle of friends) in that I have very little interest in fashion. Many of my friends spend more on a single handbag than I spend all year on clothing. Not judging, just sayin'.

Three years less young than me!

Well Nords I need you to keep maintaining that you are young as I am just behind you so I am hanging on your coat tails.

Age is just a number, however what bothers me about being 47 is knowing my life is probably half over. Even if I live another 47 years that is not going to be enough time to do all the things I want to do.

Almost nothing. However I have noticed that stuff tends to disintegrate after 15 or 20 years.

We do not spend enough on clothes to even bother to track it, as we are retired and do not need fancy clothes. However, it is true that my clothes are getting worn and need replacements once in a while; T-shirts get thin after so many washings, and polo shirt collars and sleeves get scuffed. Don't quite want to look like a hobo, you know? :) Not yet anyway. Another solution is to join the nudists. :D

I figure our clothing budget is an emergency fund. One of the 1st things to go before having to switch to cat food.:LOL:

Well Nords I need you to keep maintaining that you are young as I am just behind you so I am hanging on your coat tails.

Age is just a number, however what bothers me about being 47 is knowing my life is probably half over. Even if I live another 47 years that is not going to be enough time to do all the things I want to do.

Yes, but you couldn't do much during the early years due to being an infant and then a child. In fact, I think that probably you can subtract the first 18 years or more, which means you have only experienced 29 years of independent adulthood. In another 29 years you will be 76 and probably still excited by life and doing plenty of those things that you want to do. :flowers:

Let's see - - I am 61, so if I subtract 18 years then I have had 43 years of independent adulthood. In another 43 years I will be 104.... so I guess I am probably a little over half done. :)

These threads always make me feel like a spendthrift so I got out all my receipts and checked how much I spent on clothes this year and the total was $862. That included $105 on underwear and $216 on gym clothes and bathing suits ( I take water aerobics at least three times a week and the chlorine eats away even the chlorine resistant suits ) . I spent $591 for clothes mostly at JJill . This $591 included a dress for a wedding , Pj's , a few new casual outfits and an all weather jacket for my trips up north . I feel this is a reasonable amount . Sure I could spend less but everybody spends money on something . I have no interest in a WII or an expensive camera but decent clothes do interest me .

Hey, you're a high roller when it comes to clothing. So far this year I spent a total of $43.46, back in January on underwear.

But then you know us older forum members, never spending as much on clothing as the twenty-somethings, right? :LOL: I think that part of the reason I haven't spent much this year is that I am retiring so there isn't much sense in buying new work clothes.

$43.46 - now thats excellent! From what I see of the twenty-somethings, they spend more than that on clothes per day.

and sometimes it is better to keep them unknown .:)

Yes, I'm probably better off not knowing - If I knew her expenses, I'm sure my medical expenses would skyrocket due to stress, etc

Gosh, we spend almost nothing on clothes. We have a closet full of clothes left over from our DINK working days and it will take years to wear them out. Generally, we each buy a new pair of shoes every year and replace worn undies, but that is about it.

Year before last I bought a new blue blazer for a cruise.

Kind of sounds pitiful, but who cares?

In another 43 years I will be 104.... so I guess I am probably a little over half done. :)

Looking at my relatives as examples, chances are that if I even make it to 80, it is most likely I will be spending my days in a rocking chair, enjoying the petunias. If only active days are counted, then I am past my mid point. :( Thank heaven I RE'ed.

I have no interest in a WII or an expensive camera but decent clothes do interest me .

This implies that the rest of us do not have decent clothes. :cool:

It's OK. Some of us do not even have any clothes (search forum for nudist thread). :whistle:

Year before last I bought a new blue blazer for a cruise.

Kind of sounds pitiful, but who cares?

I still have several suits and blazers, and intend to maintain my weight to be able to fit into them, provided the moths do not get to them. Just an occasional dress shirt is all I need to buy. Heck, in fact I cannot remember the last time I bought a blazer or a suit; it must have been more than 10 years, when I was still working full-time.

Reactions: W2R
Bbami, you are 3 years MORE young than I am! :flowers:

ta,
mew

Bbami, you are 3 years MORE young than I am! :flowers:

ta,
mew
Don't ya just love that less and more young term! However if I said that to someone in "real" life, their head would probably explode! :LOL:

Looking at my relatives as examples, chances are that if I even make it to 80, it is most likely I will be spending my days in a rocking chair, enjoying the petunias. If only active days are counted, then I am past my mid point. :( Thank heaven I RE'ed.

I'm in the same boat. I do not come from a family who live long lives. My father died at 58, my mother is still alive at 68, however that is not due to any effort on her behalf. 3 of my grandparents died in their 60s. Heart disease, diabetes and cancer are common family disease. So based on that, I budget to go to 100 but realistically I think any year beyond 69 will be a bonus. I am hoping it is much more.

This implies that the rest of us do not have decent clothes. :cool:

It's OK. Some of us do not even have any clothes (search forum for nudist thread). :whistle:

Sorry , If that came out wrong . I am sure everyone has decent clothes even the nudists . After all you can't run to Walmart in the nude .

I got you all beat. I have a negative clothes budget.

Each morning I just walk out naked. Someone is horrified enough to quickly put some clothes on me. Later I sell them down on Broadway to an older Lesbian.

Ha

Each morning I just walk out naked. Someone is horrified enough to quickly put some clothes on me. Later I sell them down on Broadway to an older Lesbian.

Two questions:

1. I'm guessing you walk out naked because you sold your 'flashing' raincoat?
2. Why would people from Lesbanon have any interest in buying your clothes?

Sorry , If that came out wrong . I am sure everyone has decent clothes even the nudists.

Just teasing. ;) Indeed, as you wrote, each of us indulges self in a different way. It's only money, and we can't take it with us.

If I asked my SO how much he spent on clothes he would probably say nothing or $20 for a gator tee shirt and while that is true it is not the whole story . Clothes magically appear in his drawers . Worn out underwear gets replaced and dirty tee shirts become new again . Is it the clothes fairy ? No , It is me keeping my SO clothed . I have been married twice and now have a long time relationship and what I have found out is married guys usually do not shop for clothes(except suits ) . I'm not sure if they think those clothes appear by magic or what . So I can totally believe any married guy claiming to have a clothes budget of zip while still looking good but the wives budget is a different story . Just the whole truth and nothing but the truth !

I got you all beat. I have a negative clothes budget.

Ha

Great idea ! I'm sure if I walked out naked somebody would throw money at me to get me clothed except there are a lot of old geezers around here and to them I might be a hot tamale !

Great idea ! I'm sure if I walked out naked somebody would throw money at me to get me clothed except there are a lot of old geezers around here and to them I might be a hot tamale !
Ahhh yes...I remember the hot tamale days. :)

For me now... it's more like a cold burrito ... Anyone like burritos? :greetings10:

Plan B in case my property taxes skyrocket. ;)

I just woke up from a recliner nap. Looks like I missed a heck of a party here on this thread.
So who's still running around naked? :cool:
I think it was Ha.... Now I'm wondering who's replying to this forum naked....:blush:

Back
Top Bottom