Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Those of you still working/not FIRE, how much life insurance are you carrying?
2x annual income or less 46 47.92%
3x to 5x AI 26 27.08%
6x to 8x AI 15 15.63%
9x to 11x AI 5 5.21%
12x or more 4 4.17%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Re: How much life insurance do you carry?
Old 07-26-2006, 08:39 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Ranger, I am curious: why deal with these guys instead of USAA?
I got this policy before I jumped on board with USAA, haven't even compared rates?

Does USAA have better term?

Edit: Here is what USAA said when I tried to shop for Insurance:

Based on your data, we have no life insurance products available to meet your needs.

Not sure why?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2006, 08:45 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyopRanger
Does USAA have better term?
They have a full range of policies and they are almost certainly a much better credit risk.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 03:12 PM   #63
Dryer sheet wannabe

I carry about 15x gross income.* I recently got my first real job after having been in school for nearly all my life.* I currently support my wife and son, have a good income, but no savings.* I figure that carrying this much insurance is the least I can do for my wife because she sacrificed a lot to put me through so much school.* Plus, it motivates me to be a very good husband because I want her to value my company more than the potential death benefit.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:22 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy
Just curious here...

Are all you active-duty military types absolutely sure that your life insurance will pay if you die in a war zone/combat/etc?* I can't recall how it was when I was in.* I just remember that widows often got nothing or close to it.
Yes! The spouse has SGLI and Navy Mutual Aid. I thought they were cheaper for us than USAA, but I will check again.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:30 PM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowGirl
Yes! The spouse has SGLI and Navy Mutual Aid.* I thought they were cheaper for us than USAA, but I will check again.
I don't think that anyone is cheaper than SGLI, but USAA is pretty competitive... I haven't used NMAA in decades.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 02:32 AM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Here's what I got from USAA:

Thank you for your inquiry. Unfortunately the USAA Life Insurance Company is not able to write new business for members that are residing in Italy due to licensing and compliance issues.

As long as your current coverage has no War Exclusion, I would recommend staying with that policy. Currently we have military underwriting limits based upon rank, and the maximum coverage we would have been able to offer you is $300,000.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:47 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

The poll has no specific category for 0x.

We have figured since our house was paid off we didn't really need any.
Had 1.5x through DH's work but he quit and we figure with no kids, the survivor would make it just fine with nest egg savings and cheaper cost of living for one person instead of two.