Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-10-2010, 03:01 PM   #201
Administrator

Brewer, I don't know how it is where you work, but in my agency assignments HAD to go through my chain of command. In other words, they had to come from my supervisor (or her supervisor). So in a case like that, I'd refer the person to my supervisor.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2010, 03:10 PM   #202
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Brewer, I don't know how it is where you work, but in my agency assignments HAD to go through my chain of command. In other words, they had to come from my supervisor (or her supervisor). So in a case like that, I'd refer the person to my supervisor.
What she said. Chain of command or not at all.

No advantage in pointing this out to the person who emailed you.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:16 PM   #203
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
They did an end run around me and went to some of my many bosses for their approval before they went through the charade of asking me if I wanted to do it. My bosses should have asked me or at least told me about it before "approving" my involvement. But it is abundantly clear that I am just another headcount, so...

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:23 PM   #204
Administrator

If your direct supervisor hasn't approved it and then personally assigned it to you, I would insist on it. It doesn't matter who these guys SAY approved it.

People in other sections at my work used to try to Shanghai me like that all the time. I would just smile and refer them to my supervisor.

That way she was aware of who in our section was overloaded and who was bored, and could shift some work or travel off of me. If it doesn't come through your supervisor, you don't know if you are using your time to the organization's best advantage (and you also might not get any credit for it if there are any cash awards floating around).

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 02-10-2010, 05:06 PM   #205
Give me a forum ...

I would go to my supervisor and tell him/her about the contact, share that you are flattered that they would think of you but you have made committments that conflict with the request. Supervisors don't like to be undermined but then they want to look good to their bosses too. Plot together how to gracefully decline.

Are there technology tools such as GoToMeeting that could be utilized to accomodate the request?

However, this indicates that you are very well thought of in the organization. Consider how to leverage this situation and get face time where it will make a difference for you.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:38 PM   #206
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
I would go to my supervisor and tell him/her about the contact, share that you are flattered that they would think of you but you have made committments that conflict with the request. Supervisors don't like to be undermined but then they want to look good to their bosses too. Plot together how to gracefully decline.
Uhh, they already did the end run around me and went to my bosses first before coming to me. Since it suited my @sshole bosses' purposes, they threw me under the bus and committed me without even asking whether I would be willing to be involved (I'm not). Not that it matters, since I will continue to be the rented mule until I escape.

- Will Rogers
Old 02-10-2010, 05:50 PM   #207
Administrator

If I were your supervisor, I would be really ticked off that you are taking orders from people in other parts of your organization based on hearsay from them about some conversation they supposedly had with me and/or someone else, instead of working for me. Communicating to your direct supervisor about this sort of thing is common courtesy and depending on your supervisory, may be necessary for any future advancement. Just a thought.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 02-10-2010, 06:09 PM   #208
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If I were your supervisor, I would be really ticked off that you are taking orders from people in other parts of your organization based on hearsay from them about some conversation they supposedly had with me and/or someone else, instead of working for me. Communicating to your direct supervisor about this sort of thing is common courtesy and depending on your supervisory, may be necessary for any future advancement. Just a thought.
My less-than-worthless bosses were copied on the email from the requester, so they know about the request, know that I know they were copied, and know that I am supposed to regard this "request" as a directive. If I were to object directly to them, I would be penalized for it. I was signed, sealed and delivered without ever being consulted, or so they all believe. Bastards. I hate working for these people.

- Will Rogers
Old 02-10-2010, 06:24 PM   #209
Administrator

Oh, ok. I didn't understand how that came down. Sorry.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 02-11-2010, 04:30 PM   #210
Give me a forum ...

Well, the cat is now out of the bag, as I have applied for the new spot. I think the new team really wants me, since the group VP even went out of his way to call me from Australia to discuss the spot. Crossing my fingers and hoping the current bunch of fools do not try too hard to hang onto their rented mule.

- Will Rogers
Old 02-11-2010, 04:47 PM   #211
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Well, the cat is now out of the bag, as I have applied for the new spot. I think the new team really wants me, since the group VP even went out of his way to call me from Australia to discuss the spot. Crossing my fingers and hoping the current bunch of fools do not try too hard to hang onto their rented mule.
My fingers are crossed for you, too, Brewer! I hate to see you stuck in such a bad situation.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:03 PM   #212

Brewer, crossing my fingers that you are able to escape your current situation soon.

BTW do you think it is possible that your current supervisor actually wants you gone which is why he has been pushing his luck and renting you out at will? He probably sees you as a troublemaker because you have dared to question the status quo, so hopefully if that is the case he will do what he can to make your departure smooth.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:37 PM   #213
Give me a forum ...

Actually, I rarely if ever speak up. My sojourn into the VPs office was out of character. Generally I just salute whatever gets run up the flag and get the job done. That is probably why I was deployed for a month into a mess: they knew I could think on my feet and sort things out with limited or no input from above. But if they are happy to see me off, that is fine with me.

If I were them, at this point I would be worried about a mass exodus. I am the second person in the group to apply this week.

- Will Rogers
Old 02-11-2010, 06:52 PM   #214
Give me a forum ...

I don't think Brewer's current group wants him gone, I think they have little insight. They just don't get it!

This is consistent with my observation of many, many, organizations: while economic (promotional) opportunities cause employees to look around what pushes them to act is how they are treated.

I remember being cornered at a national meeting by a regional manager accusing my office of 'stealing' his employees. The truth was he was a mean sob, he had no idea how many in his group were seeking other positions but I knew the exodus had not run its course.

Employees are truly in a bind when the entire organization is toxic and other opportunities require a household or career move.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:01 PM   #215
Give me a forum ...

Why can't we all just be dentists?

ha
Old 02-11-2010, 07:02 PM   #216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
I don't think Brewer's current group wants him gone, I think they have little insight. They just don't get it!

This is consistent with my observation of many, many, organizations: while economic (promotional) opportunities cause employees to look around what pushes them to act is how they are treated.
True, but their organizations will never admit that they mistreated former employees. In fact, the minute an employee is gone, the boss and remaining employees will likely badmouth him/her to anyone willing to listen.

Quote:
I remember being cornered at a national meeting by a regional manager accusing my office of 'stealing' his employees. The truth was he was a mean sob, he had no idea how many in his group were seeking other positions but I knew the exodus had not run its course.
If it wouldn't have gotten you fired, I would have simply told him he was an assh*le and been done with it. Only a mere 10 seconds of your life would have been wasted.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:19 AM   #217
Give me a forum ...

Another tale from the maelstrom of bullcwap:

I am heavily engaged in a job that is getting to the critical stages and has impending deadlines, deliverables, etc. I have multiple stakeholders to keep happy, and some critical relationships that are not mine but which a screwup on my part would greatly harm. But because this job is out of state, my waste of oxygen boss ecides to show up for two or three days ostensibly to "help." He is told by people running the job to butt out because at this stage he would only create disruption and slow things down. Well, he shows up and dodges meetings with people from the local office and generally does nothing I can see that would necessitate his travelling here. Presumably to justify his trip, he summons his suck-up and I to meet with him during business hours to "update" him on the job. Not only does this steal precious hours we need to get the job done, but it is plain to me that he could actually care less about the job. So where is this meeting conducted? The hotel bar. The suck-up and I answered inane questions while the oxygen waster downed a couple beers and then he cut the meeting short because one of his buddies called him to go drinking.

Is it a surprise that I am struggling to care enough to even get the job done on a basic level?

- Will Rogers
Old 02-18-2010, 10:24 AM   #218

Quote:
my waste of oxygen boss
Quit being diplomatic. Tell us what you really think.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:30 AM   #219
Moderator Emeritus

Brewer, do you post from your work computer? Are you at all concerned that your words might be read by others there? Just curious.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:54 AM   #220
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
.... Presumably to justify his trip, he summons his suck-up and I to meet with him during business hours to "update" him on the job. Not only does this steal precious hours we need to get the job done, but it is plain to me that he could actually care less about the job. So where is this meeting conducted? The hotel bar....
I have nothing helpful to say, maybe I spend too much time on this forum but the guy you describe sounds like he has already ER'ed mentally.