Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-24-2010, 03:46 PM   #241
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Well, I was offered the new seat today. We are having a minor tussle over me not wanting to start from scratch on the promotion track after a year plus of doing above-grade work, but assuming I was appropriately diplomatic about it and did not make them feel like they are being shaken down, I have a new seat to move to. Hopefully this is better than out of the frying pan into the fire. I think it will be for the better.
YES!!! This is great news, Brewer.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2010, 03:59 PM   #242
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This Forum saves the world from itself once again.

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:18 PM   #243

Good to hear. Hope it works out.
Can't get my smilie to work.

Unsolicited advice - don't dis the previous team
Old 02-24-2010, 05:47 PM   #244
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Glad that the move worked out.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:30 PM   #245
Give me a forum ...

Under OPM rules the new manager may not have a lot of options. Listen carefully when s/he comes back to you. Maybe your personnel office can work with the both of you to figure out something that would meet your needs.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:54 PM   #246
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Under OPM rules the new manager may not have a lot of options. Listen carefully when s/he comes back to you. Maybe your personnel office can work with the both of you to figure out something that would meet your needs.
I do not have to worry about OPM rules, as they do not apply. Having said that, very likely I am boned on this one. I felt that I would be doing a disservice to myself and all the blood, sweat and tears I have shed over the last year and change if I did not bring the issue up. Self respect aside, I expect I am boned and will have to live with it and move on. Since I am getting out of the ditch and moving to a spot I could live with for the next 3 to 5 years it will likely take me before I ESR, so be it.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:17 PM   #247
Give me a forum ...

Your mental and physical health is primary. If they won't give you what you want from the standpoint of compensation just start building a track record in your new job that works for you. Imagine what you want 5 years hence and whack a path to your goal.

Your experience may well be the foundation of a good book. Start keeping a diary.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:38 PM   #248
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Your mental and physical health is primary. If they won't give you what you want from the standpoint of compensation just start building a track record in your new job that works for you. Imagine what you want 5 years hence and whack a path to your goal.

Your experience may well be the foundation of a good book. Start keeping a diary.
I would not be willing to ever do a book because i would probably be sued into dust by my present employer, plus I am a private person. "Get off my land!"

Realistically, I think we can financially get to where we want to be for ESR in 3 to 5 years, so I only need to find something I can stand for that long.

- Will Rogers
Old 02-24-2010, 10:41 PM   #249
Moderator Emeritus

Glad it worked out!
Old 02-25-2010, 10:45 AM   #250
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Well, I was offered the new seat today.
Excellent.

Did management make their decision before reading this thread, or after?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:49 AM   #251
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Brewer, once again you prove the squeaky wheel gets lubricated.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:31 PM   #252
Give me a forum ...

*Sigh* Here we go. Full court press by the incumbents to retain me and stop others from stampeding.

Here is a clue: try asking me what it will take to keep me. Simply begging and making vague promises that we are finally going to fix the problem is not sufficient.

Will play the game, but barring the summary firing of a couple layers of management, I am gone.

- Will Rogers
Old 02-25-2010, 01:00 PM   #253
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
*Sigh* Here we go. Full court press by the incumbents to retain me and stop others from stampeding.

Here is a clue: try asking me what it will take to keep me. Simply begging and making vague promises that we are finally going to fix the problem is not sufficient.

Will play the game, but barring the summary firing of a couple layers of management, I am gone.
Oh I was so expecting that full court press!! Amazing how that happens - all of a sudden mad scramble to try to retain someone way too late. Hmmm - yeah, I guess they also finally see the writing on the wall in terms of others fleeing.

More details! I like this part - all that groveling!

I am very pleased on your behalf.

Audrey
Old 02-25-2010, 01:21 PM   #254
Give me a forum ...

They are begging for time, saying that they are about to unveil a "radical" reorg shortly. Ho hum. My guess is that they will fix the wrong problem (again), and since not only did they not ask what I want but they also made no mention of anything other than twiddling some of the many layers of mgmt, it is a bunch on nonsense. I will give them a modicum of time to do what they have to do, but to be honest I am not interested. I hope they do the reorg and them lose half their people anyway.

- Will Rogers
Old 02-25-2010, 01:42 PM   #255
Give me a forum ...

Yep, they are looking out for their best interests. Kudos to you for looking out for yourself.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:03 PM   #256
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
They are begging for time, saying that they are about to unveil a "radical" reorg shortly. Ho hum. My guess is that they will fix the wrong problem (again), and since not only did they not ask what I want but they also made no mention of anything other than twiddling some of the many layers of mgmt, it is a bunch on nonsense. I will give them a modicum of time to do what they have to do, but to be honest I am not interested. I hope they do the reorg and them lose half their people anyway.
So are you having to delay your transfer?

Audrey
Old 02-25-2010, 02:26 PM   #257
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
So are you having to delay your transfer?

Audrey
I am having a minor tussle with my HR contact over credit toward a promotion as I jump tracks, since I do not want to walk away from a year plus of blood, sweat and tears with nothing to show for it. Since there is a snowstorm here and people are going home early, I do not know if I will hear back today. If I do, I may have to ask for time until Monday just to avoid making enemies.

- Will Rogers
Old 02-25-2010, 03:17 PM   #258
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations on getting your problem resolved !
Old 02-25-2010, 03:46 PM   #259
Give me a forum ...

Nowthe game is on. All concerned have a Monday afternoon deadline. I feel a bit like the taffy in a taffy pull, but it is niceto put pressure on those above me for once.

- Will Rogers
Old 02-25-2010, 03:52 PM   #260
Give me a forum ...

The group you are in right now has fundimental work culture issues that I don't believe can be cured in the short term. This is higher management's opportunity (excuse) to take action but I wouldn't want to be there when they do that.

Assuming the new position meets your needs, take it.