Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-18-2009, 07:56 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I actually bought and used a annoy-a-tron years ago on an unbelievably annoying co-worker. She had an extremely loud, grating voice, and insisted on carrying on long phone conversations (both work and personal) via speaker phone, even after she had been asked not to by a number of people in the same cube farm. I was able to shut her down for a while by disconnecting the speaker wire one night, but she just got a new phone a week later. I bought the annoy-a-tron, and it drove her freaking INSANE! I hid it up in the overhead file cabinet, chose the alternating beeps, and sat back and laughed my @ss off! She never found it, even though it eventually ran out of battery power. She moved out of our area shortly after. Well worth the money.

Brewer, if you are like me at all (and I really hope you're not, for your sake ), vengeful and vindictive, getting back at someone at a really childish level can be very rewarding. It helped me get through some rough times with my sense of humour (defective as it may be) intact. JMO.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2009, 09:06 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice View Post
This won't really fix the situation but it might make you feel better.

The Annoy-a-tron:

ThinkGeek :: The ThinkGeek Annoy-a-tron

Thanks, now DH wants me to order one of these on reserve. Oh boy. Waiting for the right co-worker.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:32 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Brewer--nothing to add but I went through a similar situation for awhile during my career---and believe me it sure seemed like it was a lot longer than it actually was. For what it is worth---it makes FIRE that much sweeter.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:44 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Oh, the annoyatron sounds perfect... Very, very, very tempting. I could install one in the boss' office and another in the cube of his chief rectal suction provider.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:58 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

It's a great site. I also have the remote that allows you to take over TVs. Really useful. I mostly use it when I'm stuck in a doctor's office or garage trying to read and they have CNN or MSNBC or Fox News blaring. Mostly I just mute it. Sometimes I'll turn the channel to Nickelodeon or SciFi or something. And the battling RC tanks were great back in the office days. Thinkgeek challenges my LBYM tendencies.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:53 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
A business culture that accepts disrespectful behaviour actually encourages it. Senior management has already voted on what matters. This is not likely to change unless top management changes. Uber-importance will not always prevail where a strong management culture exists, the management instinct of self-preservation is a powerful force.

Documentation will not help deal with a de-motivating workplace. The only real option there is to find greener pastures – and not discuss with anyone at work for any reason.
Brewer - MichaelB is right - leadership is tolerating this...and for some reason. It isn't affecting them or hurting them..yet. The advice of document, document, document is right on. The advice of start looking for another position is also right on. The annoy-a-tron is a wonderful tertiary task :-)

I had a very stressful situation one time and I documented it very carefully. I happened to be an inheritor of a bad situation, unknowingly, unfortunately. However, the documentation was a godsend. Also, I was very careful about what I said and did - and counseled those involved to also be as professional as possible. As it was, there was a *heck* of a lot more going on and luckily I wasn't too tarnished by the shenanigans...and then luckily I found another position.

Good luck in your situation - yes, the stress is horrible. Just don't let the stress get to a point where any damage in undoable.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:49 AM   #67
Full time employment: Posting here.

Hang in there Brewer. I was blessed in March '09 with the opportunity to leave a situation that was FUBAR. My sanity and liver were eternally thankful.

I make such a piss-poor wage slave.....
Old 12-28-2009, 02:13 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Oh, the annoyatron sounds perfect... Very, very, very tempting. I could install one in the boss' office and another in the cube of his chief rectal suction provider.
Remember to wear gloves while installing in case it is eventually located (fingerprints).
WHY didn't I have one of these things while I was still w*rking ? Oh, using this thing on the main predator would have been right up my alley.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:06 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Now have been "invited" for a 1 on 1 with an HR drone, as have many of my cow-orkers. Yay. Well, they cannot make me talk andthere is no upside in me opening my mouth, so I will not be doing so.

- Will Rogers
Old 12-29-2009, 12:55 PM   #70
Full time employment: Posting here.

Mum's the word.........
Old 12-29-2009, 02:09 PM   #71

Oh gawd, I remember at the gasping death of one workplace, they hired some consultants to come in and talk to everyone. Anyone who complained to "the Bobs" was mysteriously let go. Mum is DEF the word!
We had a saying: "Head down. HEAD DOWN! Head down." Embrace it.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 04:22 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Now have been "invited" for a 1 on 1 with an HR drone, as have many of my cow-orkers. Yay. Well, they cannot make me talk andthere is no upside in me opening my mouth, so I will not be doing so.
What is your plan?

I agree there is no upside in talking, but there is a downside in not "cooperating". While you don't want to dump on "the man", you can't praise him. Are you doing the "well, some things aren't perfect but I love working for mega-corp ........" thing or something else.

Good luck.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:32 PM   #73
Administrator

This happened to me too, in connection with my awful former supervisor (who was promoted out of my chain of command in 2006). Basically they asked me a lot of vague questions about whether I thought there were unfair, discriminatory things going on.

My very measured response (=baldfaced lie) was that although the situation was not all sweetness and light, that at the moment I couldn't recall anything untoward going on.

They may SEEM like they want to know the truth, but really (IMO) they just want to be able to say they investigated it with inconclusive results, so they can move on.

I really felt bad about it because the EEO complaint that they were investigating was probably justified. It all worked out, though.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:02 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

My estimation is that this is at best a check the box exercise and at worst a witch hunt. Plan A is to smile, be polite and spew meaningless drivel. If they are too persistant, plan B is to say that I have no further comment on anything whatsoever. Plan C is to spontaneously puke on my interrogator's desk.

My turn is tomorrow morning. The more I think about it, the more this angers me. Will have to hide it tomorrow.

- Will Rogers
Old 12-29-2009, 05:34 PM   #75

Brewer,
Keep Low, and Keep Moving.

Telling HR will have no meaningful benefit, as others have described it here. The only way to effect a meaningful change is to hire an attorney and sue the company. And, all that will result, is PERHAPS some sensitivity to the employee issue, if one is lucky.

And, of course, you don't want to do that while you're still employed there.

So, your plan to respond with meaningless drivel is best for self-preservation. Unless they want to ask you those questions while you sit in the witness box in a court room, there is no need to be truthful -- just be polite!

Don't get angry, continue your plan to seek employment in another part of the company, or another company altogether. Implementing that plan means you are doing something about the situation that fits you best.

After all, what you have is a business arrangement: they hire your brains for $ and the promise of professional development (most of which you do on your own anyway). If the promise and the premise for the arrangement isn't working out, you move on, and wish them luck in their current endeavors. It's up to someone else to exercise 'justice.'

-- Rita, retired.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:10 PM   #76
Moderator Emeritus

At private minicorp where I worked (30 people), a consultant was brought in specifically because one of the managers who dealt with every staff member had a woeful anger management problem. Everyone mentioned her to the consultant--every single person. As a result the owner persuaded her to take a leave of absence, after which she was much improved.

Without the consultant's report, the owner felt there was no documentation.

Different situation, different workplace, of course--I wouldn't be putting my neck on the line in Brewer's place either.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:45 PM   #77

This is just such an interesting subject and I posted on 12/15 my thoughts on the situation. What prompted my remarks that day was the following story. In 1975 I became the department head in the plant engineering design department. One of the engineers was a real pain in the a** and had numerous run-ins with the previous director. When I took over, I was warned about this individual and told to get prepared for his venom. I reviewed his file and couldn't believe all the writeups on this guy and wondered why he was still there. In the following year he and I had numerous problems and he was just pulling down the attitude of the department. As you might have gathered, these were salaried engineers and not covered by union contract. I went to my Vice President and decided we had had enough and decided to fire this guy. In order to do so the MegaCorp Personnel Director came to our plant and we had a meeting, the VP, Personnel Director and myself. In reviewing the employes file, the Personnel Director looked at the reams of paper in the file of disciplines and interviews that occurred through the years. His statements were priceless. "What took you guys so long to make this decision? He should have been gone long ago. Why are 90% of these writeups and notations of actions not signed by the employee?" He said that anytime you write up an employee, if you don't tell him about it and have him sign the paper or at least mention that the employee refused to sign, it's worthless. He threw out a lot more paperwork than was left. To make a long story short, we ended up firing the guy, he sued MegaCorp and lost his battle with a state mediator. Documentation is so important.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:59 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Am I being hopelessly naive, what is wrong with telling HR the truth?
Old 12-29-2009, 07:05 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

In the words of a well known (around here, anyway) philosopher, stay agile, mobile, and hostile. The puking is a good plan, should be moved up to B.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:09 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Am I being hopelessly naive, what is wrong with telling HR the truth?
My two cents...
If the spinner on the dial is pointing AWAY from you, truth will help you.
However...
If the dial is pointing AT you, anything you say could be a real detriment in any subsequent witch hunts.