Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-30-2009, 02:22 PM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Especially when half of the fellow men in the immediate cubecinity are troglodytes I despise.

Hum your favorite song when things get bad. Like the Sound of Music has been playing lately..

Or one of my favorites.

Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2009, 03:57 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
The world Brewer lives in is very very small, Chris. I think he would have an extremely hard time finding another workplace in his industry should he raise a big stink at this one. That is reality.

There is no dearth of courage in keeping your head down, collecting your paycheck, and taking care of your family. That is Brewer's first and truest obligation--the one he has to his family, not to come trumpeting in on a white horse to save his fellow man in the next cubicle.
Sarah, I live in a very small world too and I was once blacklisted very early in my career in finding other employment simply on the basis of the perception that I was a troublemaker. I'm not suggesting anyone make trouble, become some "hero," begin arming himself against a bunch of windmills in the path, or place his family at risk.

All I suggest is that people be stand-up guys about stuff when confronted with an issue. You don't have to be a crusader to do that! Balancing integrity in the workplace can be hard, but I personally have not seen it as a major risk to tell the truth, stick to the truth, and not shape the truth by opinion. And I've seen some crazy things in the workplace, and retaliatory conduct that was so unbelievable you'd think I was making the stuff up!

If you have to distort the truth about an issue, which some have indicated they have done, well it's time to look for another job, in my humble opinion.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:01 PM   #103
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Mostly I just kept my mouth shut, for the record.

The thing that alarms me is the suggestion of a half day love fest with everyone involved. Will be sitting quietly in the corner if forced to participate.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:59 PM   #104

Good idea, but pretend to be cooperative. The rest of upper management knows when a jerk is loose. If they don't reign him in without whining, how will whining help?
Old 12-30-2009, 06:07 PM   #105
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

The thing that alarms me is the suggestion of a half day love fest with everyone involved. Will be sitting quietly in the corner if forced to participate.
Wow, the wind really is up somebody's nose, if they're spending the $$ to have everyone stop work in order to hold a group grope.

These remind me of the mandatory "I Love Big Brother" sessions at the Ministry of Truth.

But this isn't 1984, so with any luck, the worst that can happen is you will have to put up with being MBTI'd with your colleagues. Again.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:19 PM   #106
Recycles dryer sheets

This is how office shootings start.
JohnDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:11 AM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

The listener always has the advantage.
I think you are playing this hand perfectly.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:12 AM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoe View Post
This is how office shootings start.
I suppose so. In this case, that sort of thing is mitigated by the security gambit you run through to get in the building, the background checks everyone goes through, and the armed police officers (most of whom are marksmen) running around the place.

- George Orwell

Old 12-31-2009, 06:20 AM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
The listener always has the advantage.
I think you are playing this hand perfectly.
I sure hope so. I know for a fact that they essentially cannot afford to lose me, so I have a certain measure of protection. I dropped some hints that I was fully prepared to walk if I was too unhappy, expressing the view that as a subordinate my role is to get the job done, salute what gets run up the flagpole, and that if I did not like it I knew where the door was. The recent departure of another person who appears to have lots of FU money has thrown a serious wrench in the works, and that may have caused to hit the panic button.

As an aside, I really appreciate the thoughts, advice and support here. It helps to vent and get independent views, and DW gets too stressed listening to me. This is the sort of thing I will not miss when I get to FIRE.

- George Orwell

Old 12-31-2009, 08:38 AM   #110

Always liked Kennedyīs "Donīt ger mad, get even". Problem is that Iīve never been gutsy enough
Old 12-31-2009, 11:49 AM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
Always liked Kennedyīs "Donīt ger mad, get even". Problem is that Iīve never been gutsy enough
Well the Irish have perfected that one over the centuries. So old Joe had good teachers.

Ha
Old 01-02-2010, 06:21 AM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I sure hope so. I know for a fact that they essentially cannot afford to lose me, so I have a certain measure of protection. I dropped some hints that I was fully prepared to walk if I was too unhappy, expressing the view that as a subordinate my role is to get the job done, salute what gets run up the flagpole, and that if I did not like it I knew where the door was. The recent departure of another person who appears to have lots of FU money has thrown a serious wrench in the works, and that may have caused to hit the panic button.

As an aside, I really appreciate the thoughts, advice and support here. It helps to vent and get independent views, and DW gets too stressed listening to me. This is the sort of thing I will not miss when I get to FIRE.
In advocating a listening stance, I do not mean a submissive or non- participating role. A measured response always w*rked for me.
I actually used simple logic..if p then q...and mentally rehearsed...i.e. if such-and-such was said to me, then my best response(s) be.
By counting to yourself silently, one 1000, two 1000, three 1000...before responding...you can control the tempo of any difficult Q&A sessions or tense meetings.
In my experience, the "hot under the collar" talkers are usually the ones who make statements they later regret.
I personally was under a lot of unfriendly fire in my former j*b, and I found that the less I said, the less the predators had to w*rk with in attack mode. Button pushers thrive on the heated response to provocative statements. So I simply denied them the response they craved.
This technique w*rked very well for me over 25 years of dealing with an extremely unreasonable exMIL in my personal life as well as aggressive power brokers who viewed me as a threat in the w*rkplace.

You can get through this.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:12 AM   #113
Give me a forum ...

Largely agree, freebird. Having said that, in my current and several past jobs I frequently have to interview/interrogate (in non-friendly conversations) senior management of some very large organizations. These people are used to everything that can be thrown at them and some are quite aggressive, but I have a lot of experience with this sort of verbal fencing and can usually get what I want out of the discussion without tipping my hand too much. That experience has been valuable lately...

- George Orwell

Old 01-02-2010, 09:18 AM   #114
Give me a forum ...

I think if you have the annoy-a-tron overnighted to you you should be able to place it on Monday. Then when the annoyees complain you can make a claim that the noise must be related to the New Year/decade cutover. That should send them in the wrong direction resolution-wise. Eventually they will P.O. the BOFH (The SysAdmin From Hell), resulting in a ton of abuse not directly attributable to you. Happy New Year!
Old 01-02-2010, 12:10 PM   #115

Our company had for many years a real tyrant as a director. Everybody was afraid of him. He imposed himself on several subordinates in order to play with them at tennis, golf, soccer on the weekends. Everybody let him win.
After having socialized with them on the weekend he, nevertheless, chewed them off on Monday....
Well, we are all retired now, him too. I would have thoght that his ex-subordinates would turn their back on him or, otherwise, shun or steer away from him....But no. Many of them continue to be submissive and suffer his heavy-handedness.
And the effect on the tyrant as regards those few who now can afford to ignore him? None, he couldnīt care less.
I bet that a lot of his mistreated subordinates will attend his funeral.
Such is the nature of people.
Iīm sure Iīm wrong, but sometimes I think we get the bosses we deserve or that the only way to teach them an effective lesson is to behave towards them in the same way.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:44 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
I would have thoght that his ex-subordinates would turn their back on him or, otherwise, shun or steer away from him....But no. Many of them continue to be submissive and suffer his heavy-handedness.
PTSD?
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 02:07 PM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
PTSD?
I suspect my reaction to post-stress will be a large smile...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:17 PM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Well, all signs are that the hammer will be dropped very soon, based on frenzied manager meetings and some inside dope. I do not think that the culture will result in an outright witch hunt, and this is clearly more about checking the box than solving problems. But not much comfort there...

- George Orwell

Old 01-05-2010, 04:42 PM   #119
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Well, all signs are that the hammer will be dropped very soon, based on frenzied manager meetings and some inside dope. I do not think that the culture will result in an outright witch hunt, and this is clearly more about checking the box than solving problems. But not much comfort there...
Well, just hang in there, grit your teeth, and pretty soon it will all be over. (I'm sure you and other men hear the same from your proctologists all the time. ) At least you are not in the direct line of fire.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:35 PM   #120
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Well, just hang in there, grit your teeth, and pretty soon it will all be over. (I'm sure you and other men hear the same from your proctologists all the time. ) At least you are not in the direct line of fire.
I am not entirely sure that is the case... Will find out soon.

- George Orwell