Join Early Retirement Today
Old 08-26-2007, 07:18 AM   #121
Dryer sheet aficionado
chinaco, thank you for the conversation but it is obvious by your multiple references to me being a conservative that your goal is to frame me as someone I am not, unfortunately I could say that you've also fallen into the marketing that the government still represents the people and their wishes but in reality it does not. Last time I checked I don't know anyone who preferred their congressional representatives to have the substantial benefit packages which completely remove them from being able to relate to the average tax payer.

Since it is obvious that this thread will continue to be a 'the government is not perfect but they're better at providing benefits to us then we are as doing it ourselves' vs 'the less government the better' you are right and we should probably wrap it up. I'll give you the last word in your response since that is the way of most liberals

Also, yes I am willing to provide for my parents and that is why we're buying acreage and will be building them a home on our property, they've set aside nothing for their retirement so unless they are able to work until they drop we will be required to take care of them and yes I would be willing to completely drop their SS benefits if it would mean that it would drop our contributions because that IS how strongly I feel about it. I believe people are smart enough to get on with life in the absence of the vacuum know as government.

On your point about not using roads now you're implying that I'm against all government which I did not say, I'm just against most programs and/or their bloat! The 'conservatives' have done a horrible job with our government and their outsourcing and obscene billing rates to companies like Blackwater is no improvement IMO, they believe in padding their pocketbooks just like the liberals. If you look at the net worth of Conservative or Liberals in the media they're both high so it is just a shell game which only serves to keep us at each others throats instead of seeing the real problems.

With all due respect your comment, "Most people died in their 40s back then. While they were still able to fend for themselves if they did not die from disease (fairly quickly)." seems a little strange, are you implying that the founding fathers would have designed a SS system if they had seen lifespans longer? Can you provide some supporting documentation for that? Letters from the founding fathers, etc?

teachme is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2007, 07:55 AM   #122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Agreed. We've kick this thing until its dead.

chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 03:57 AM   #123
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Suggest that we end this thread.... beaten to death is an understatement.
Life is GREAT!
megacorp-firee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:26 PM   #124
Originally Posted by chinaco View Post
Agreed. We've kick this thing until its dead.
Is that the coroner's van I see pulling up to the door?
Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. That's my story and I am sticking to it.
packrat44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 03:15 AM   #125
It smells like something died in here.

You don't want to work. You want to live like a king, but the big bad world don't owe you a thing. Get over it--The Eagles
lets-retire is offline   Reply With Quote