HR dilemma

No, the position is not for a physician, unless he/she has the required skills (which would be unusual, since the job is process engineer).

IMO - Choose the best candidate. But if they are equal, then team harmony might be a determining factor.

Here's an update:

I hired the candidate with the best KSAs. She is working out very well and will be a real asset to the organization. The other individual returned from vacation to find the new employee in place, and can find nothing to complain about. So far, no passive agressive behaviour, but I'm watching closely for any signs of it and have scheduled several projects that they can collaborate on as a team.

So it all worked out in the end. Thanks for all the helpful input.

So, why's it high turnover. Is it because of the saint?

-CC

Stuff like this might just make me decide to ER! :(

What relation are you to the other person - higher or same level?

If the candidates are of equal ability; I'd go with the harmony factor.

So, why's it high turnover. Is it because of the saint?

-CC

No, it's a type of position that can be entry level, and we've had a series of young people who, when they have mastered it completely, move on to more advanced positions.

Excellent post KM, thank you!

The type of work we do makes teamwork essential. I asked for the opinions of the other team members because I value them. Other team members think as I do about the candidates for the job.

Success depends on many factors, including but not limited to technical skill. Organizational fit is important; we have a strong culture of service and collaboration. I insist on results. I have worked with the senior person for many years and it is clear in the organizational structure and in our previous actions that I seek everyone's opinions but that I make the final decision.

Yes, we are all clear on that.

Well respected because he/she does superior work. In fact, he/she is annoyingly saintly. . There are people in this organization who believe he/she can do no wrong.

You're very perceptive! Senior Person is actually quite rigid despite being an empathic leader, and can make life miserable for people he/she dislikes. He/she is jealous that he/she is not the team leader. He/she is older than I am but shows no signs of ERing anytime soon. He/she got a new lease on his/her career when I developed this team and avoided burnout, so he/she has some dependence on me. And yet, there is, I think, some jealousy that the whole thing was not his/her idea. Very noble person, well meaning, but resents my leadership. I am just getting tired of working with him/her. I am more interested in building new initiatives than I am in dealing with petty squabbles. I have already made my boss aware that I am looking for a change.

Is this senior person of indeterminate sex? If not, why all the he/she?

ha

Back
Top Bottom