Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-20-2010, 08:28 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Good information, exceptional posts from KM, and I think kyounge1956 also makes a great point of is it fair to the new person to be put in a position where this senior person is likely going to make things difficult?

Maybe I missed it (edit: I *did* miss it, WorkerBee said much the same thing as I typed....), but I didn't see a comment regarding your line:
a position that is usually entry level and has a high turnover.

Is it really worth making things difficult over what might be a short-term hire? I agree with RIT philosophically, the hire should get a chance on their own merits, but real life conflicts with that - your real life. Why make things miserable for you and the hire if there are reasonable alternatives.

If you want to invest the time/effort, I'd work on this problem team-members issues separate from this hiring process.

-ERD50

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2010, 11:35 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Thank you everyone for your input.

So.... I should hire whomever the hell I want, or the person who will please You Know Who, and I should either be bosslike or I shiould ER. In other words, there are as many opinions as posters, LOL! The opinions I find most helpful are those that provide a rationale. This will take a few weeks to play out and I will let you know what happens.

Old 07-21-2010, 12:56 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
Any senior team member that acts like this is a problem anyway. You are hiring an entry level player, not the senior member's replacement. I'd say go with what is best for the team, not just for one senior member who doesn't play well with others.
Of all the answers so far, this is my favourite. I'm in HR (since November, after 28 years in IT; yes, I know...) and I'm currently dealing with a case where the department wanted to hire A, who was a temp worker, on a permanent contract. Only problem was, A didn't at that time meet the admin criteria for a permanent job, so B was hired instead. At the hiring discussions (candidates not present) it was already clear that the department did not want this person. Now they are trying to abolish her job "for budgetary reasons" while creating a new one "with different money" which is 90% the same, because A is now available. This is in a government-type environment where you can't do this sort of thing, but the senior person is being extremely unprofessional about it. Unfortunately we can't do anything at all about her until she takes mandatory retirement at 65 (30 months and counting).
Old 07-24-2010, 10:50 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Ultimately it's my decision. I am the boss and I fully intend to make the decision and not second guess it. I also intend to listen to all the opinions and weigh the pros and cons of all options so that I make the best decision.
Quote:
Thank you everyone for your input.
So.... I should hire whomever the hell I want, or the person who will please You Know Who, and I should either be bosslike or I shiould ER. In other words, there are as many opinions as posters, LOL! The opinions I find most helpful are those that provide a rationale. This will take a few weeks to play out and I will let you know what happens.
I'm coming in a little late to this thread, but this reminds me of the "Dear Abby" letters where so-and-so would refuse to attend a family wedding or holiday if another so-and-so was invited. Dear Abby's response to this controlling ultimatum was always "Gee, I'm sorry you feel that way, we'll miss you."

You should be free to hire the people who are best qualified to get along with the majority of the team. If one of the team members isn't mature enough to handle the stress of getting along with a new hire, despite the team's majority opinion, then you should tell this "saint" that you'll miss them.

But you're right, the best solution is ER.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 01:49 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

What is best for the patients? I am assuming this is a doctor, because of your line of work. If so, choose such that the patients' needs are best served. If the Sr Saint is really a Sr Saint, he/she should be happy with that...if not, show him/her the door.

R
Old 07-25-2010, 09:40 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

No, the position is not for a physician, unless he/she has the required skills (which would be unusual, since the job is process engineer).
Old 07-25-2010, 09:51 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

IMO - Choose the best candidate. But if they are equal, then team harmony might be a determining factor.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:44 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No, the position is not for a physician, unless he/she has the required skills (which would be unusual, since the job is process engineer).
I think I missed something. Nevermind.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:16 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Here's an update:

I hired the candidate with the best KSAs. She is working out very well and will be a real asset to the organization. The other individual returned from vacation to find the new employee in place, and can find nothing to complain about. So far, no passive agressive behaviour, but I'm watching closely for any signs of it and have scheduled several projects that they can collaborate on as a team.

So it all worked out in the end. Thanks for all the helpful input.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:13 AM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

So, why's it high turnover. Is it because of the saint?

-CC
Old 09-02-2010, 09:38 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Stuff like this might just make me decide to ER!
What relation are you to the other person - higher or same level?

If the candidates are of equal ability; I'd go with the harmony factor.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:04 AM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Dex, check post #29. It's a done deal.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:16 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Dex, check post #29. It's a done deal.
txs - I missed that one.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:33 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCdaCE View Post
So, why's it high turnover. Is it because of the saint?

-CC
No, it's a type of position that can be entry level, and we've had a series of young people who, when they have mastered it completely, move on to more advanced positions.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:38 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Excellent post KM, thank you!

The type of work we do makes teamwork essential. I asked for the opinions of the other team members because I value them. Other team members think as I do about the candidates for the job.

Success depends on many factors, including but not limited to technical skill. Organizational fit is important; we have a strong culture of service and collaboration. I insist on results. I have worked with the senior person for many years and it is clear in the organizational structure and in our previous actions that I seek everyone's opinions but that I make the final decision.

Yes, we are all clear on that.

Well respected because he/she does superior work. In fact, he/she is annoyingly saintly. . There are people in this organization who believe he/she can do no wrong.

You're very perceptive! Senior Person is actually quite rigid despite being an empathic leader, and can make life miserable for people he/she dislikes. He/she is jealous that he/she is not the team leader. He/she is older than I am but shows no signs of ERing anytime soon. He/she got a new lease on his/her career when I developed this team and avoided burnout, so he/she has some dependence on me. And yet, there is, I think, some jealousy that the whole thing was not his/her idea. Very noble person, well meaning, but resents my leadership. I am just getting tired of working with him/her. I am more interested in building new initiatives than I am in dealing with petty squabbles. I have already made my boss aware that I am looking for a change.
Is this senior person of indeterminate sex? If not, why all the he/she?

ha