Join Early Retirement Today
Old 11-10-2008, 02:42 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I love this life, even if I am getting my full paycheck. I am basically living on what I will get anyway in retirement because I have alot going to my TSP for the last time.
I don't mind doing dishes, doing laundry, cleaning.....Heck all the things I did in the Navy (scullery, laundry, field days), but this time its for fun!!!!
I have a substitute teacher workshop on Wednesday which is a requirement for New Mexico. I figured I might as well get paid $60/day for sitting in a classroom overseeing kids since I have 20+ years of experience anyway!!!

Boxkicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2008, 01:36 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Sounds like life it good! Congrats on your retirement! As long as there is more play than work, let them pay you!

Make no mistake, my friend, it takes more than money to make men rich. - A. P. Gouthey
Fireup2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:12 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.
Originally Posted by oma View Post
I did see a golf starter job at MacDill AFB recently - that's my kind of job - pays probably minimum, but you get to ride in a cart outdoors, chit chat w/ hackers and ask them about their games. Probably won't be vacant when I get out, but I'll look that way June 2009. It's nice to have $$$ in a pension to fall back on, isn't it?
Years ago I was chatting with an admiral I had known from before his admiral days. We were talking about the pros and cons of working for beltway bandits after military retirement. He was a big golfer and said he had always wanted to get a job as a starter at a golf course after he retired. But, he said he had looked into it a little further and decided that being a starter was too much responsibility. So he said he decided he was going to become an assistant starter!

(Unfortunately, he never did that, ended up taking a job with a bandit, becoming a vice-president, etc., etc. But I thought it was still a great story.)
friar1610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 10:32 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets
Originally Posted by Boxkicker View Post
So good!!!

I am gonna love this life...being retired military and enjoying getting paid for all the years of hard work and traveling, long hours, watches, duty, dodging rocket attacks in Afghanistan AND ALL THE OTHER BS, etc....
Well said. I'll be joining you July 1, 2009.
oma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 04:58 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets
IMO? Get into your own Business instead! You have a Chance to do it now.. You can make 1/3rd less vs workig for someone and still come out in After tax income about the same..( alot of Tax deductions )

I did that and glad I did..over 30 yrs worth of beig self employed..Won't get rich, but won't be poor and only answer to yourself, not some Morons... except maybe Customers at times..worke donly 4 days wk, went camping the 3 days wk could take off anytime Needed, buy just work alittle more ahead of time..

And using the SEP IRA plan? Is a great way to con the IRS out of their Taxes along the way.. ! Another Fellow Vet buddy, just wanted to Pay off his Building ad pay the bills along the way.. He Did, after 20 yrs.. Sold it as his Pension savings.. He and wife ow Live in a Great Area of outside San Diego and started a Charity Business to help Kids... and Haven't been a Happier couple..They aren't Super Rich, just comfortable enough to Enjoy their Passions..

So, Give some thought of Thinking "Out-Side-The Traditional-Box"...

Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote