Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-24-2007, 06:17 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
CFB, don't let your third grade teacher read that sentence!
I forgot the [yoda] and [/yoda]

My third grade teacher was also my dads third grade teacher. I think she was in her 90's. Good chance i'm safe from scrutiny.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2007, 06:44 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The only resentment toward me ER'ing, hasn't really been spoken but merely implied. My siblings are a bit ticked off that I ER'd at 50. They are both older than myself, and HAVE to keep w*rking for many years to come. They were NEVER LBYM'ers. Both are in their late 50's, and haven't got much, if any savings or investments to speak of. Any time we talk, I can sense a tinge of jealousy on their part. Oh well! Not my problem!

They each called here on Thanksgiving, but Mom answered and talked to them....I got out of it! Of course she let them know how much fun I've been having since I retired in the Spring. "He's really been busy in the garden and the yard this year. And he's been traveling a lot, in fact he has 4 big trips planned for next year already! Plus he's been tinkering around in his shop and hobby room. He's REALLY enjoying retirement!"

They're planning on retiring in their late 60's....maybe. But I guess that's the difference between planning for the future when your young, and planning for the future once your already there. It would be nice if they were happy (or even content) about my ER, but I won't lose any sleep over it. Life goes on!

But other than them, I've had nothing but glad tidings and good wishes from all my other family members and friends! Everyone else thinks it's great that I was fortunate enough to be able to pull the plug so young!

Old 11-24-2007, 06:53 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
My third grade teacher was also my dads third grade teacher. I think she was in her 90's. Good chance i'm safe from scrutiny.
I don't know. I think some 3rd grade teachers live almost forever. Mine just passed away this summer.....at 103! She out lasted my grade school principal by 1 year. The principal was 102 when she passed away!

Besides applying the 'board of education' to my 'seat of understanding', I hope they also instilled their longevity into me!
Old 11-24-2007, 06:59 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
I don't know. I think some 3rd grade teachers live almost forever. Mine just passed away this summer.....at 103! She out lasted my grade school principal by 1 year. The principal was 102 when she passed away!

Besides applying the 'board of education' to my 'seat of understanding', I hope they also instilled their longevity into me!
Years ago (when I was about 40) my mother showed me a local newspaper article about my 3rd grade teacher. It was about her 100th birthday. Miss Van Ess.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:42 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
The only resentment toward me ER'ing, hasn't really been spoken but merely implied. My siblings are a bit ticked off that I ER'd at 50. They are both older than myself, and HAVE to keep w*rking for many years to come. They were NEVER LBYM'ers. Both are in their late 50's, and haven't got much, if any savings or investments to speak of. Any time we talk, I can sense a tinge of jealousy on their part. Oh well! Not my problem!
I have some slight resentment from my sister who always thought she was smarter than me in all aspects .She's still working at 64 but hey they had a great LAYM life while I squirreled money away .
Old 11-24-2007, 08:22 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I have some slight resentment from my sister who always thought she was smarter than me in all aspects .She's still working at 64 but hey they had a great LAYM life while I squirreled money away .
Yep, same here. Mine is 56, nearing her 57th. She told my Mom the other day that she is tentatively planning to retire at 67. She also just took on a 2nd j*b to help make ends meet. It's ironic how LAYM catches up, at the worst possible time in life.....when your getting around retirement age. I'm afraid she's got a long row to hoe. Too bad she didn't learn at least a little about LBYM from our folks and grandparents.........Oh, that's right! I forgot! She was smarter than them!!!
Old 11-24-2007, 09:21 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

So, it's really fun to gloat, huh?
Old 11-24-2007, 11:14 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post

LOL... my sister had a number of student's like that... she taught 41 years and did teach the kids of some of her former students...

she retired a few years ago, but if she had stayed could have had taught one of the granddaughter of one... she said she was glad it did not happen.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:37 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
So, it's really fun to gloat, huh?
It's not gloating....it's just stating the way things are. She has ALWAYS let it be known how "smart" she is. She NEVER 'needed' or accepted advice from anyone.....ESPECIALLY family members. If you knew "the rest of the story", as Paul Harvey says, you'd shake your head in total amazement! She's set a marvelous example of what NOT to do, and how NOT to do it.

However, there IS a partial happy ending to the story. Her 3 kids learned from her mistakes and poor choices, and all of them are definitely LBYM types. They're all very shrewd with their money, and aren't into 'stuff'. They all enthusiastically enjoy life, and the 2 older kids own their own businesses, and have one or two joint ventures together. They've also traveled all over the world on a shoestring, spending only a few dollars a day. They walked and biked all over India, Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, China, Pakistan, Central & South America, Mexico, Canada, Europe, and Russia. Not bad for a couple of 'twenty-somethings'. They also do a lot of volunteer work. The youngest is still at home, but banks every red cent, and lives far below her means. She's definitely NOT a material girl! I'm sure she'll follow in her siblings footsteps.

I bet all 3 will be FIRE'd by their early 40's or sooner.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:48 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
LOL... my sister had a number of student's like that... she taught 41 years and did teach the kids of some of her former students...

she retired a few years ago, but if she had stayed could have had taught one of the granddaughter of one... she said she was glad it did not happen.
It was funny when my Dad showed up and dropped me off at class on my first day. She still remembered him and he suddenly turned into an 8 year old in front of her.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 12:16 PM   #51
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddythebeagle View Post
I agree with the other posts....talking about financial matters with the great unclean masses is a bad idea...besides, maybe some of this might be to show some superiority, which I dont see the point of...a lot of these holiday get togethers are often people trying to make themselves look better than they actually are....
Couldn't agree more. I'm not RE'd yet, but I am FI and could pull the trigger anywhere from right now to 10 years from now. Really just depends on what lifestyle I'd like to have and where I'd like to live. I like to keep friends and family in the dark about our finances. No point in rubbing it in. There is no positive way to discuss these topics with most people. I get enough envy vibes just from what little people already know. I could only imagine if I up and annouced I was retiring in my mid-40's. Whenever people probe too much, I just start joking around and change the subject. Oddly, other people seem quite willing to give me too much information on their own affairs.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:10 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
What she was really saying is "I/we can't do it, so neither can you!". And the best way to deal with it is to change the subject when someone asks you about your plans.
Yes, I agree. In most situations, the best response to questions about your future plans is just to say that you haven't thought that far ahead (affecting a rueful attitude, with perhaps a grimace about "just paying the mortgage is all I can manage right now!").

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
You just have to keep moving along, knowing that you are doing the best for your kids. Make sure that you tell them about Early Retirement so they don't tell their teachers that you don't have a job.
Who cares what the teachers think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chonder View Post
I am 38 and work for City Government where EVERYONE but me is on the 30 year and out plan. I opted for the self-managed plan. One day a fella of similar age/senority as me made the comment that WE would be there 20ish more years. I said, NO, I have 5-8 more years to go. The room got quiet. They all knew I only have several years in.
I explained that I was in the self managed plan AND a deferred comp plan and that I would retire with 15-18 years and get the same payout I would have gotten in 30. They chose to disbelieve me and treated it as a joke.
You are apparently a (blue collar?) municipal employee, and so have the freedom to disclose your plans without fear of repercussion. But for most executives or professionals, admitting that you plan on being FIRE'd is unwise: you might just as well stay in the running for raises, bonuses, promotions and other incentives for the remainder of your employment.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:07 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

I have let it slip a few times at work to some friends I'm closer to that plan on retiring early. I've found mentioning it to not really be a problem because when I read their faces upon saying it, I read that they just don't believe me or that I couldn't actually pull it off.

There are those that do no planning at all but claim they're going to retire early too. It seems to be quite the popular thing to say whether you mean it or not. So I guess its easy to write off anyone saying that because others mentally just think "yeah right".

So, I don't see myself getting the resentment treatment until I actually back it up by beginning out-processing someday.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:20 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by slazenger View Post

There are those that do no planning at all but claim they're going to retire early too. It seems to be quite the popular thing to say whether you mean it or not. So I guess its easy to write off anyone saying that because others mentally just think "yeah right".
This reminds me of what a surprising number of people used to say to me (IIRC, exclusively men) when I told them I was a lawyer. They would that they were going to be lawyers too, but blah blah blah, they chose a much better path. My SIL who is a medical doctor told me that the same thing would happen to her. Almost like people were trying to minimize what we did for a living.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 08:42 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
This reminds me of what a surprising number of people used to say to me (IIRC, exclusively men) when I told them I was a lawyer. They would that they were going to be lawyers too, but blah blah blah, they chose a much better path. My SIL who is a medical doctor told me that the same thing would happen to her. Almost like people were trying to minimize what we did for a living.
I was going to be a lawyer, but then I found out that marketing types could get away with being just as sleazy, worked shorter hours, and were the butt of fewer jokes.

Seriously, even in my generation lots of guys were uncomfortable around a high status woman and its pretty hard to come out on top in the "my job is cooler than your job" competition with a doctor or lawyer. I think the situation has changed for Gen Y, "oh you are a lawyer cool are you married need a house husband?"
Old 11-26-2007, 09:05 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
I think the situation has changed for Gen Y, "oh you are a lawyer cool are you married need a house husband?"
Dual-military Gen Y friends of ours-- he a P-3 pilot, she a doctor-- left the Navy and started living their dream of sailing around the world. They aborted that plan when she was became pregnant with twins (how does that happen on port & stbd watch rotation?) and returned home near one set of in-laws. She went back to the hospital she'd been a resident at and is pursuing her career. He's the world's happiest stay-at-home parent; four kids now and probably thinking about more.

Maybe the trick is to live with one o' them there high-status wimmin so that we don't have to feel intimidated by comparison? That's what my spouse tells me.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 09:23 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
..... But for most executives or professionals, admitting that you plan on being FIRE'd is unwise: you might just as well stay in the running for raises, bonuses, promotions and other incentives for the remainder of your employment.
Happened to a friend and coworker. He announced his planned retirement date to his boss and everyone else. Then he got cold feet, changed his mind, and publicly postponed his retirement by about 6 months.

Because he announced his retirement intentions, he received no bonus. Almost everyone else got a bonus that year which was quite substantial and he had always received bonuses in the past.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:43 PM   #58

I'd be too slow to think of it if I were in the OP's shoes, but I think after she finished ranting, a long pause followed by a full belly maniacal laugh with no further explanation could be pretty funny.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 01:04 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Aren't men too much! The crap some of us try to pull, thinking that you all are so naive that we aren't busted straight from the gate. Just because you don't call us out doesn't mean you aren't thinking what losers we are being.

I made a long careful study of women, and what I found was that all of them are way smarter than they let on, at least once they are over 17 or 18 years old.

What is the saying? "Never underestimate a woman."

Ha
Old 11-27-2007, 08:47 AM   #60
Full time employment: Posting here.

This is a really interesting thread to read. I find it very interesting the reaction that some people have to other peoples achievements. There are some that look at another man's achievement and say... "Wow... that is great!!! How did you accomplish that? I need to learn from you so that maybe I can achieve something great as well!". Then there is another whole group of people, that look at anyone that has achieved more than they have, with absolute contempt and disdain. As in "How DARE you have more than me, or accomplish more than me?" As if somehow, you having more than they do, means that you TOOK something away from them in the process, which is certainly not true.
Remember the truth about people like that. They do not want to be rich... they want you to be poor. They do not wish to achieve for themselves, they want others to give to them. They do not want to succeed... they want you to fail. They do not believe in things like hard work and making progress towards a goal, they belive that life is random, and that people got the careers they did because of the "job lottery". What it really comes down to, is a form of dillusional escapeism. If they continue to believe that life is random, and there is nothing they could ever do to improve their lives at all, then it also absolves them of any and all responsiblities for their own actions. They attack you because you are destroying their fantasy that they have been living with for years. Attacking you is far easier than to actually accept the mess they have made of their own lives.