Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-06-2014, 05:08 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginadog View Post
Uh oh, is that a taboo topic here? I haven't noticed. OK, I won't make my second post I was thinking then! ...
Nope, just a little too much of an 'inside joke' for you at this point I guess. REWahoo covered it, that's the story.

-ERD50

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2014, 09:42 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I got a raise earlier this year, then the company gave all of the IT folks a week of 'free' vacation. That is, we all get to take a week off, unpaid.

The amount (1/52) of our pay is deducted in equal amounts over each paycheck for the rest of the year, the remaining 5 months. I already buy a week, and I would have probably bought another week if it would have been available during benefits sign up, so it will likely be good for me. But it does say something about the economy.

It's 2014, I thought the economy was doing great?

FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:40 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I got a raise earlier this year, then the company gave all of the IT folks a week of 'free' vacation. That is, we all get to take a week off, unpaid.

The amount (1/52) of our pay is deducted in equal amounts over each paycheck for the rest of the year, the remaining 5 months. I already buy a week, and I would have probably bought another week if it would have been available during benefits sign up, so it will likely be good for me. But it does say something about the economy.

It's 2014, I thought the economy was doing great?
Reminds me of when I worked at HP back in the mid 90's. They had an across-the-board 10% pay cut to save on expenses, with the plan to reinstate the former salary after about a year.

Good friend of mine whose skills were pretty critical told them he'd be "working from home" every other Friday (every 10th day), but with an implied understanding no actual work would be done on that day, so don't bother contacting him.

He got away with that until they finally reinstated everybody's salary about a year later, and he started coming in on those Fridays again. He was fully prepared to quit, too, if they'd pressed him on it.

Anyways, to the OP...congrats!
Old 05-08-2014, 06:20 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
[...] never-ending, circular and eternally debated.
Which usually means, it doesn't really matter what you do.

Congrats, Gina!
Old 05-08-2014, 09:23 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAspen View Post
Good friend of mine whose skills were pretty critical told them he'd be "working from home" every other Friday (every 10th day), but with an implied understanding no actual work would be done on that day, so don't bother contacting him.

Hahahaha. That's great. Good for him!
Old 05-08-2014, 11:07 AM   #26

I'm getting a raise too. I just found out my COLA'd pension will increase 2% in July.
Old 05-12-2014, 12:00 PM   #27
gone traveling

congrats.
IMO: Too much in tax deferred accounts and have limited flexibility in reallocating your funds.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:07 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Same advice I gave my son when he got promoted. You were living on your salary before you got a raise, you can most likely still live on that amount. Celebrate, then put the additional pay into savings.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 06:46 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow, wonderful raise and for a woman to boot. Congrats!

When my boss talked to me 3 months ago that maybe I'd get promoted with a whopping 10% raise, I said 'well, it sounds nice, but looking at absolute numbers I'll still be way underpaid even if the title doesn't change". He said 'the corporate cannot do 20%" blah blah blah.
When I moved to this group within the corporation almost 7 years ago (our corp. consists of different companies or divisions), it was a lateral move (from sr. accountant to sr. accountant) and I got like 23% salary increase then (but the increase was worded in absolute numbers at the time).
I trained the new person who took my accounting work, and I got a newly acquired company's books that have been quite nightmarish with no great progress in the foreseeable future.
So, now I'm waiting for that promotion and if it's coming I believe my boss will invite me for another conversation. I keep thinking how to ask for a better raise professionally and not sounding as a whiner of sorts. I'd definitely would like 20% raise which would move me much closer to the range other sr. accountants earn in our city. Sure the title change will put me well below the range again.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:59 PM   #30

My company did their annual salary reviews this month, and I was hoping that I'd be bumped up to where new hires are coming in at, but I've been around enough to know that probably wouldn't happen.

And it didn't.

I got about a 4% increase, which still puts me about $15k to $20k a year below what a couple teammates got when they hired on, and not only do we all do similar work, I came in much earlier than they did. I also got a small RSU grant that doesn't amount to much. Maybe a few extra hundred dollars after taxes every six months *yawn*.

Oh well. It's not like I haven't seen this before when dealing with corporate HR. I've always been very mercenary about my career, and have long believed you don't get ahead by staying in place, you get ahead by absorbing as many skills as you can and then shop yourself around and jump ship.

Normally, I'd get my resume updated and start a job search, but this time, I just smiled and said "Thanks" because I only have about 8 months left on my 4-year vesting (golden handcuffs) and after that, I'm quitting anyway. As long as the company stock stays at a certain level or above, I should have enough to FIRE and walk out the door.

However, I do hope they try to keep me on by making me a counter. It would be fun to present my demands (which would include about a $30k bump in salary) and watch them scurry around dealing with the VPs and HR and try to appease me. Then, if they do come back with something, tell them it was too little, too late, and walk out anyway.

I can't wait until February.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:58 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

After you have vested it might be fun to shop your resume around. Reason for leaving: "Because I can." In the SV there are lots of professionals with substantial assets who work because they want to.

I do agree that you should not entertain any counter from your current employer. If they valued your skills they would have kept you at market. Perhaps they thought the gain in stock is enough to keep you on the farm.

My only other advise is to meet with a CPA who is familiar with your investment situation. I know enough to know it is complicated and it is easy to do something that causes an unnecessary tax burden.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:43 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
In the SV there are lots of professionals with substantial assets who work because they want to.
Problem is...I don't want to

I've wanted to get completely out of IT, sitting in an office building, in a cube, staring at a computer all day, for at least 10 years now. Anything dealing with IT, computers, or an office environment just doesn't interest me anymore.

Good thing is, hopefully after I escape, I can try other things that have long interested me, but I never had the time nor money to pursue them. And none of them involve a computer or sitting in a cube
Old 05-26-2014, 10:56 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

The joy of FI is that you don't need to do what you have done before. The reason why you are leaving remains: Because I can!
Old 05-27-2014, 10:16 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAspen View Post

I got about a 4% increase, which still puts me about $15k to $20k a year below what a couple teammates got when they hired on, and not only do we all do similar work, I came in much earlier than they did. I also got a small RSU grant that doesn't amount to much. Maybe a few extra hundred dollars after taxes every six months *yawn*..
Wow that's unreal. Back when I w*rked, two of the folks (1 male 1 female) reported to me had different job titles and job families even though they did the exact same work. Foolishly I contacted compensation to attemt to get them in the same titles. That went pretty easy, just had to document what they did.

Then compensation went batsh*t, the male made $400 dollars more a year. I explained I didn't hire them, or put them in different titles, the difference in pay seemed trivial. Oh I was mistaken. Next thing I know the V.P. of compensation is demanding me, my manager to explain $400 a year difference. I just got fed up, 'well give the female a $400 raise'!

There was an internal investigation to review discrepancies between M/F pay. Funny how different Megacorps view equal work/pay.
MRG