Join Early Retirement Today

Re: I hate my job!!!
Old 11-09-2005, 10:59 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
Steve,

Wow. You have a talent of describing the corporate life.

It would be nice that businesses adapt a bottom-up approach in which decisions are made at the bottom so that people can feel a greater sense of importance and be able to respond to changes more rapidly and effectively.

Spanky
Business is NOT a democracy! The people at the bottom will only have a token voice in what really happens in a company. The major stuff is done by the Big Boys (or Girls) at the top and everything then slides downhill to every one else. Each rung in the ladder is required to enforce the mandate or risk career termination. Smaller companies are less so but the guy who signs the checks is still the one that makes the policies. He has to show a profit or get out of the business. Sometimes that means not doing what the employees want. It's lonely at the top (so I hear).

OTOH, some companies try to listen to the people and do implement some programs suggested by them. Not many, but some. I wish it were different but it is what it is. Learn to live with it or find a way to start your own company and see if you can do it better.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2005, 07:39 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
Jobs are created to get some activity performed that cannot be done with existing people.*
At my job, management wants to hire a new full-timer for my section which we don't need. I am blocking it and filling the hole with temps. There are going to be budget cuts over the next couple of years. Our section is non core and we don't have a lot of supporters in the company. I don't want to overexpand and then have the axe fall on us full-timers. Especially when it could fall on me.* *

Mike
mikew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 07:59 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew
At my job, management wants to hire a new full-timer for my section which we don't need. I am blocking it and filling the hole with temps. There are going to be budget cuts over the next couple of years.* Our section is non core and we don't have a lot of supporters in the company. I don't want to overexpand and then have the axe fall on us full-timers. Especially when it could fall on me.* *

Mike
Mike,
Good for you! It is nice to see that some people are able to see the bigger picture and not hire someone only to have to fire them in a couple of years. Besides, temps cost less. Most management I have known would be doing the opposite of what yours seems to be doing. They would rather not hire full time people and keep many more temps because it is less costly.

No one ever said that high intellegence was a requirement for management.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:32 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The DW's company hired 4 or 5 people when they didn't have the volume to keep the currecnt people working. Now business is slowing down and it looks like all 4-5 plus some will be fired or moved to different jobs. :
Old 11-10-2005, 06:34 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Besides, temps cost less.*
Ya, I am responsible for a lot at work (luckily the system basically runs itself). But since we are non core, management basically sees value only in the number of courses we teach. A temp costs 2500 for a year course. A full timer costs over 10,000. Dilluting my value by hiring someone to give part of my responsibilities to seems to be a good way to make myself a target.

Most managers seem to be empire building. They are trying to get bigger and bigger budgets and more and more responsibilities. Just trying to get too big to kill, too important to cut.

Another interesting thing at work is the Japanese full time instructors are hot to buy a computer education system. I told them it doesn't fit with what my people do and to keep it out of my area. Talk about automating yourself out of a job.* *:
mikew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 08:45 PM   #26
Dryer sheet aficionado

Well, I found out yesterday that the new honcho actually doesn't want us trained properly because then we'll notice mistakes and won't pump out work fast enough It's no wonder peeps go to work and just read the early-retirment board I can't stand to work for a place that promotes below-average behavior.
yAyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 09:05 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I remember when I started to work my mother asked me what is my primary goal.. I said income.* She told me to sort my opportunities in income potential order.* Then she said that every job has its frustrations, and based on her experiance, pointed out some jobs as major sources of frustration.

Given the context of the era, she said that I needed to manage my career.* If your employer does not expect excellance get*thee gone ASAP without burning your bridges.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:26 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Business is NOT a democracy!
When I was president of my firm, I used to say that all the time when lawyers would mumble and grumble about a decision. I said that you are paying me to do all the homework and make the decisions. Judge from results. If you don't like it, take my job.

I never would have said such a thing to staff.

I did try to get staff imput of a number of things that were important to them. For example, staff participated in a group that helped us decide what changes to make to our retirement plan and our health insurance.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 09:09 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

"We're here to DEFEND democracy, not practice it!"

-- Gene Hackman as the idiosyncratic boomer CO in "Crimson Tide"

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 11:04 AM   #30
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords

* * * * * *-- Gene Hackman as the idiosyncratic boomer CO in "Crimson Tide"
LOL
Old 11-17-2005, 08:36 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords

-- Gene Hackman as the idiosyncratic boomer CO in "Crimson Tide"
This is similar to the saying that we embrace teamwork but we reward people on an individual basis.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:53 AM   #32
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
This is similar to the saying that we embrace teamwork but we reward people on an individual basis.
That's exactly the motto my job lives by
Old 11-20-2005, 08:04 AM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Teamwork, schmeam-work...

IMHO, teams are a place for lazy, incompetent people to get credit for other folks' work.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 07:47 PM   #34
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have Funds, Will Retire
Teamwork, schmeam-work...

IMHO, teams are a place for lazy, incompetent people to get credit for other folks' work.*
I thin teamwork is good because some things need it. I also think those who do the work should be rewarded. However, what seems to happen is that a team will do the work and the person who happen to kiss up the most but did the least work will be the one singled out for doing a great job and that's when I think teamwork sucks

Anywoo, I learned that for sure they will be hiring for a position that I really, really want and even though it's out there I will drive.

Wish me luck
Old 11-26-2005, 11:08 AM   #35

Good luck, Yaya - keep us posted. Hope you don't regret the drive.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 11:36 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Business is NOT a democracy!
Very true.... One of the biggest mistakes I made when I was still in Megacorp is to follow the company's expectations of giving suggestions for improvements, doing the right thing and thinking outside of the box. WRONG. Only gets you into trouble. After a while you shut up, lose interest and start focusing your attention to more interesting things that can be done within the cube like the internet.

Vicky
vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 07:31 PM   #37

Quote:
doing the right thing and thinking outside of the box.
May be they meant "think outside of your box but within their box"
Old 11-28-2005, 09:47 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
May be they meant "think outside of your box but within their box"
That would be exactly correct! As long as you parrot their thinking and "appear" to be engaged in the process of being "creative" they will love you. It is a just a game. There are so few managers that really want you to think out side the real box. If you do they see you as not being a "team player." That has a negative influence on your career.

The end result, however, is no real improvement in the company operations; only a difference in "spin." What was old is new again; only the buzzwords change.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:51 PM   #39

Quote:
That would be exactly correct!* As long as you parrot their thinking and "appear" to be engaged in the process of being "creative" they will love you.* It is a just a game.* There are so few managers that really want you to think out side the real box.* If you do they see you as not being a "team player."* That has a negative influence on your career.*

The end result, however, is no real improvement in the company operations; only a difference in "spin."* What was old is new again; only the buzzwords change.
SteveR, if you're not a manager now, accept this spot promotion.* You have broken the code and will rise to the top as you appear to be a team player who will abide by our mission statement and I have noted zero defects in your presentation.* Your zeal for improvement is only surpassed by your technological know-how.*You have made quality job #1.* A hands-on type such as you needs to be one of our leaders.** Your we're number-1 attitude is beyond reproach and promulgates our approach to customer satisfaction. We value the long hours you work, always staying "till the job is done."*

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 06:29 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
SteveR, if you're not a manager now, accept this spot promotion.* You have broken the code and will rise to the top as you appear to be a team player who will abide by our mission statement and I have noted zero defects in your presentation.* Your zeal for improvement is only surpassed by your technological know-how.*You have made quality job #1.* A hands-on type such as you needs to be one of our leaders.** Your we're number-1 attitude is beyond reproach and promulgates our approach to customer satisfaction. We value the long hours you work, always staying "till the job is done."*
Not only that but he is "proactive" and "thinks outside the box."

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote