Join Early Retirement Today

I hate my job!!!
Old 11-07-2005, 05:32 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

I hate my job!!!

I need to let off some "I hate my job" steam. I cannot understand why people on top insist on making dumb ass changes that makes everyone else miserable. My place of work went from an good place to work to where people are afraid to go to the bathroom. At this point I'm looking for another job and I don't even care if it pays less than the nothing I was making. It's so bad that I'm jealous of prostitutes because at least they get paid well while on their knees

Anyone have a good joke?
yAyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: I hate my job!!!
Old 11-07-2005, 05:41 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

When you have an "I Hate My Job" day, try this:

On your way home from work, stop at your local pharmacy and go to the thermometer section and purchase a Rectal Thermometer made by Johnson and Johnson.

Be very sure you get this brand.

When you get home, lock your doors, draw the curtains and disconnect the phone and the TV so you will not be disturbed.

Change into very comfortable clothing and sit in your favorite chair.

Then, open the package and remove the thermometer.

Now, carefully place it on a table or a surface so that it will not become chipped or broken.

Now the fun part begins:-

Take out the literature and read it carefully.

You will notice that in very small print there is the following statement...

"Every rectal thermometer made by Johnson and Johnson is personally tested."

Now, close your eyes and repeat out loud five times...

"I am so glad I do not work for quality control at Johnson and Johnson."

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 05:48 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Worst Job
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled.JPG (14.5 KB, 324 views)
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 05:52 PM   #4

Now, these are funny jokes Love the cartoon.

Sorry that you're going through this crap at work, yaya.
Old 11-07-2005, 05:53 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
"Every rectal thermometer made by Johnson and Johnson is personally tested."
Great segway to one of my favorite jokes:

"What's the difference between an oral thermometer and a rectal thermometer?"

"An oral thermometer tastes like glass."

Old 11-07-2005, 06:09 PM   #6
Dryer sheet aficionado

Bwhahahahaha!!!

Thanks ERs, I really needed that...LMAO!!
Old 11-07-2005, 07:08 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

As my dear mother said as I pondered my first employment opportunities, "All jobs are awful from time to time, which of these comes closest to meeting your goals?"

She is just hanging in there in a nursing home, but she was quite a gal!
Old 11-08-2005, 05:09 AM   #8
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
As my dear mother said as I pondered my first employment opportunities, "All jobs are awful from time to time, which of these comes closest to meeting your goals?"

She is just hanging in there in a nursing home, but she was quite a gal!
I understand that jobs will not always be peachy but this job has made changes that makes no sense to anyone. It has made people who use to smile everyday, come in and cry. For me it's not helping me reach my goal except paying my monthly bills. I'm currently trying to finish up the last requirement , so that I can be a certified crime analyst. I just feel this job is not worth the stress since it doesn't help me in anyway. That is why I'm willing to take less pay so that I can dedicate my time to my internship, which will help me get a job that I hope to build a career in.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by yAyA
.* I just feel* this job is not worth the stress since it doesn't help me in anyway. That is why I'm willing to take less pay so that I can dedicate my time to my internship, which will help me get a job that I hope to build a career in.
Sometimes you have to take a step backwards to take several forward. I've done that 3 times in my life and haven't regretted any of them. If the job you're in now has turned that toxic then you need to move on.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 06:06 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Been there, done that, many times.* There have been times when I have toughed it out for a while (like my last gig) because I had reasons for doing so.* I think I am past that now: if a decent job turns into a sh!tstorm, my resume will be on the street within a week and if comes to choosing between my well-being and the paycheck, call my ass unemployed.

Move on, yaya.* Get your resume out there, and try to make the wrap-up of your designation coincide* with your resignation.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 06:21 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... I'm currently trying to finish up the last requirement , so that I can be a certified crime analyst...
Please tell us that "last requirement" doesn't involve committing one!

Old 11-08-2005, 07:54 AM   #12

YaYa -* if you're getting close to finishing your training maybe you could get by with temping in the meantime?* If an assignment sucks you don't have to go back - if you're semi-intelligent* (which we already know you are* ) employers will fight to have you back.*

Temping is one of my early-semi-retirement fantasies. Short term assignments that pay the bills (barely) that you can walk away from at any time.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 11:03 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Temping is also 'try before you buy'. It gives the employee to take the temperature of the employer. I think it is great for both sides.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:03 PM   #14

The vey close group of 55 Northrop-Grumman employees started to become angry people when we ( who had been allowed to have 5-7 great Christmas parties in England) were told that we could not longer have them.

We had one where the guys wore kilts. That was also considered in bad taste.

We began a series of "proper behavior that cannot possibly offend anyone" parties. We sat and tried to act like we enjoyed our "EVENT", forced on us.
OldAgePensioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 08:29 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I need to let off some "I hate my job" steam. I cannot understand why people on top insist on making dumb ass changes that makes everyone else miserable. *

From time to time the people in high positions need to make changes in order to justify their own jobs.

I agree many times it is not for the best.
GTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 08:46 PM   #16
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
YaYa -* if you're getting close to finishing your training maybe you could get by with temping in the meantime?* If an assignment sucks you don't have to go back - if you're semi-intelligent* (which we already know you are* ) employers will fight to have you back.*

Temping is one of my early-semi-retirement fantasies.* Short term assignments that pay the bills (barely) that you can walk away from at any time.
Ohhhh....yeah I think I will try temp work. I was beating my brain as to what I can do and that never came up. I currently polishing the resume and hopefully I will be out of that shite-storm.

Thanks for all the valuable advice ERs. You've all made me feel better about my situation. I felt pretty powerless for a day but soon snap'd out of it
Old 11-08-2005, 09:54 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTM
From time to time the people in high positions need to make changes in order to justify their own jobs.

I agree many times it is not for the best.
The people in high positions should reward the people in the lower positions more when the lower positions screw up.

The people in high positions get paid to fix problems in the organization (well, ok, only one of their duties...) - so if the employees can create lots of problems, the the manager-types can justify their own jobs to go fix the problems.

If everything has been fixed, then the higher-ups need to create policies to mess things up again before they lose their jobs.

Seems like a never ending cycle.
just_hatched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 06:54 AM   #18

I guess all job creations are result of problems, and without them there will be no need for people. If we have no intrinsic problems to solve, we have to introduce or create problems.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:34 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
I guess all job creations are result of problems, and without them there will be no need for people. If we have no intrinsic problems to solve, we have to introduce or create problems.
I would not state it quite the same way.*
Jobs are created to get some activity performed that cannot be done with existing people.* If you work in a company that solves problems (Help Desk, etc.) then yes, you would be hired to solve problems.* If you work making something i.e., manufacturing, then you work to create something by converting raw materials into a finished product.* The more product they need, the more people they may need to hire.

In my department, we hire people to do specific tasks required by our business and to meet various regulations, laws and internal requirements.* The trend over the past several years has been to do more with less people.* Hiring is a last resort and takes forever for management to agree to hire anyone.* We have had a hiring freeze for many months and it looks to continue next year.* :P

As price pressures become more of an issue, cost containment gets a front seat and employee benefits are shaved off a little at a time.* We will have higher co-pays for medical services next year; our deductables are increasing, our drug benefits are requiring higher co-pays, and our costs for insurance have increased by 5% from last year which had gone up 5% from the year before.*

The worker-business relationship in the US has eroded significantly from when I first started working.* Companies still demand loyality and dedication to your job and the company while they slowly screw over the workforce and then wonder why no one is interested in working extra hours (for free) to help the company.* *They parade around touting Work Balance and then dump another project on you that will require more time away from your family.*

Management has become a reward for the @ss kissers in the organization and is less about ability to do the job and actually supervise people than it is about impressing the boss by blowing sunshine up their butt to get that next promotion.* The end result is a bunch of politically astute managers that have no clue how to relate to people in a way that will create work environment that encourages employees to want to work and contribute not only their sweat but also their minds.* Management thinks they are the only ones that are able to think and so whatever they dream up must be the right thing to do.* The art of supervision without fear, intimidation or incompetence is rare.*

Is it any wonder most people see the working world as a prison sentence?* 30 years to life; time off for good behavior (vacations) and a chance at parole (retirement).* If you find a good job with good management that pays well you are very very lucky.* Most don't have that so enjoy it while it lasts.* Just remember, every job is expendable.* You can be replaced and you can be made redundant at the whim of management because that is the way it is.* It is not a social program; there are no entitlements; it is work and you have a job because one was created for a specific purpose.* When that purpose is changed or the business sees a way to combine tasks together, your job can disappear.* It is not personal…it is just business.* One has to understand that is the way it works and always have an escape plan.

Old 11-09-2005, 07:31 PM   #20

Steve,

Wow. You have a talent of describing the corporate life.

It would be nice that businesses adapt a bottom-up approach in which decisions are made at the bottom so that people can feel a greater sense of importance and be able to respond to changes more rapidly and effectively.

Spanky