Join Early Retirement Today

Re: I just sold it all
Old 10-26-2006, 06:41 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

MickyJ - You need to figure out why you are saving the money in the first place. If you need it for emergencies or are planning to spend it soon, leave it in the MM. If it is part of longer term savings for ER, get your butt back into a diversified portfolio and leave it alone. You are eventually going to have a bad drop and loose 20% or more - get yourself prepared for that and let it go. It comes back in the end.

Remember, people here lost hundreds of thousands on 2000-2002 and still ERd. Volatility is something you have to deal with if you want to invest.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2006, 08:40 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I used to take a bunch of money off the table after big run-ups and run-downs--and often sold the wrong things at the wrong time. Since I stopped that and started rebalancing instead, I get much better results.

Old 10-27-2006, 03:35 AM   #63
Give me a forum ...

i have to admit i did time it right once. it felt great getting out and watching the market tank. but the next couple of times i tried it again, bad move, and so i learned my lesson.

THE MARKETS CAN REMAIN IRRATIONAL ALOT LONGER THAN I CAN REMAIN SOLVENT

trying to time this stuff and actually coming out ahead over long periods of time is a loosing game.

as peter lynch once said in an interview:

so peter where do you see interest rates headed? dont know and dont care was his answer

well surly you must have a view on where stocks are headed,your one of the greatest managers in history,,,,, peters reply , dont know dont care.
if i could predict 3x in a row the correct movement of the markets id be a multi billionaire instead of just very rich.

if i
Old 10-27-2006, 05:05 AM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107

well surly you must have a view on where stocks are headed,your one of the greatest managers in history,,,,, peters reply , dont know dont care.
if i could predict 3x in a row the correct movement of the markets id be a multi billionaire instead of just very rich.

if i
You left out his final words, "And don't call me surly!"

JG
Old 11-01-2006, 09:46 PM   #65

I know, I know that market timing does not work very well. Anyway, I dumped my REIT fund yesterday.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:39 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
I dumped my REIT fund yesterday.
One of two asset types I'd like to add to (the other being small-cap-value foreign)--let's make a deal!
Old 11-02-2006, 09:59 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromeria
One of two asset types I'd like to add to (the other being small-cap-value foreign)--let's make a deal!
I am keeping the international small fund - not exactly a small value. Is there an international small value fund?
Old 11-02-2006, 10:07 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
Is there an international small value fund?
Most of them (the ones I'd like to invest in) are closed. There's the new DLS (WisdomTree International Small Cap Dividend). Anyone have others to recommend? DLS is too new to actually recommend.
Old 11-02-2006, 10:32 AM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromeria
Most of them (the ones I'd like to invest in) are closed. There's the new DLS (WisdomTree International Small Cap Dividend). Anyone have others to recommend? DLS is too new to actually recommend.
When I finish my 12-step program on owning individual stocks (11 steps to go...) I'll put my personal money in DLS. I like the DLS idea but I don't know much about WisdomTree. If PowerShares or some other major ETF player entered that arena I'd be moving more quickly.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 10:50 AM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

I did end up getting back in a few days after the original post. I bought some different mutual funds....

DODGX
FISMX
FLVCX
PRRSX

Have done pretty well, need to just stop reading and looking at anything.. maybe I can live in a cave without electricity until I am ready to retire.
Old 01-19-2007, 11:05 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Maybe some drugs (er I mean DRIP stocks) I'm destined to go to my grave with.

Still have one file cabinet of the pesky things approaching 'can't killem status'.

Perhaps I should volunteer for 'intervention' or treatment.

heh heh heh heh heh - OR mentally shift them back to hobby status.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:28 PM   #72
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickj
I did end up getting back in a few days after the original post. I bought some different mutual funds....

DODGX
FISMX
FLVCX
PRRSX

Have done pretty well, need to just stop reading and looking at anything.. maybe I can live in a cave without electricity until I am ready to retire.
Well, NOW you tell us!

-CC
Old 04-25-2007, 08:54 AM   #73

mickj,

With the DOW now looking like it will top 13,000, tell us when you got back in (see the original post in this thread). Perhaps this will be a valuable lesson for others who think they can time the market.

Grumpy
Old 04-25-2007, 01:11 PM   #74

did the same thing as op last year
read some more technical analysis books last few months and called this rally right. will sell when market starts to flash sell signs again
Old 04-25-2007, 10:37 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickj
I would say this is just the "heebie jeebies." As I said before I don't really know the reason I did it. I guess it was just a feeling I had while reading all of my usual news sources. I don't think it was wise but hopefully I won't regret the decision later.
You will almost certainly regret the decision. Over the long-term the markets have an upward bias (look at today's closing numbers). No guarantees, of course, but the odds favour staying fulling invested.

That said, I don't think that there's much point in second-guessing yourself. It's best to be able to balance fear and greed, but if you have difficulty doing that, always err on the side of fear. I would much rather that you regret leaving some money on the table, than staying in against your better judgment and perhaps losing a substantial portion of your savings (again, there are no guarantees).

I think that there is a lot to be said for investing in accordance with your personal comfort level. Small caps or futures etc. may have a higher potential return, but that does you no good if you are losing sleep and feeling under constant stress. I am reminded of the following (apocryphal?) email message from a "money manager" to a nervous client, quoted in Lee Eisenberg's The Number (page 143):

Quote:
Here it is straight.
You are uncomfortable.
Sell everything. Then you will be
comfortable. Comfort is an important part of the client
relationship. This is meant from the heart.
To date I think we have achieved what you expected.
So maybe we just cash in.
You have heard from this camp.
Old 04-26-2007, 03:53 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

for every share thats sold there must be a buyer. what changes are the bids and offers that move the markets. could be 1 buyer and many sellers or the reverse.