Join Early Retirement Today

I know some of you have been through this...
Old 03-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #1

I know some of you have been through this...

But today I am seriously looking at meaning of life questions.

A good friend who is only 2 months older than me passed away, suddenly, last night.

She was thin, fit, ate right (vegetarian, health nut)... did everything right.

She was a teacher - I cannot imagine how a classroom of 4th graders is going to deal with this loss.

It was very sudden... was fine on Saturday, died of septic shock last night.

It's making me very philosophical. Wondering why I'm hanging on to my job just for a "buffer" of safety. (firecalc says I'm good - but there's not a lot of margin in my numbers.)

My plans, when I retire early, are to do more volunteering. I'm already on the board of a school foundation, and coach a USFIRST robotics team... I can see lots of opportunities to do more volunteer work if I'm not tied to a job.

In the meantime my DH and I need to get a plan to help support her husband through this. After 30 years with her, they were still hopelessly in love. He's in shock, but he'll need people to talk to when the shock starts to wear off.

I'm 51. She was 2 months older than me. I'm stunned. We both lost brothers prematurely, in our/their 40's. But knowing death *can* happen suddenly doesn't really process right now.

I'm rambling... I'm sorry.
rodi is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

So sorry to hear this, Rodi. Ramble as much as you need to.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:09 PM   #3

So sorry about this.
That kind of shock hits many of us, always at random times, and whatever age and experience we have accumulated does nothing to prevent our being struck hard by it.

Still, look at the silver lining, which is your inclination to take a good hard look at your own situation and do what's best.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

One of my best friends retired at 55, died at 57. It really sinks in.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:13 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

My condolences. What a shock to have this happen to someone so young and healthy. It really brings the fragility and evanescent nature of life to the forefront of one's mind.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:14 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am sorry to read this, Rodi, sorry for your loss.

We talk all the time here about asset allocation.

Time is an asset, too, and your friend's sudden death is a harsh reminder of that fact.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:15 PM   #7

(1) While it is of course unfortunate that your friend died despite following a healthy lifestyle, don't let that cause you to abandon any good habits that you may have. Although there are no guarantees, it is better to play the odds and try to "do everything right", rather than be fatalistic.

(2) We are all at risk of imminent death: either through trauma, or undetected disease. While it's a bit impractical to "live every day as though it is your last", I do suggest trying to be consistently kind to others, especially those close to you. Helping your friend's husband will of course be consistent with that approach.

(3) Take comfort in the fact that your friend (apparently) died quickly and without significant pain.

(4) If possible, start gradually ramping up your volunteer activities over time.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:17 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Life is fragile and uncertain, for sure.

I attended a funeral service last Friday for the Grandfather of a friend.

At the service he mentioned that 7 of his relatives had passed away during the past 12 months. All the deaths, except that of his grandfather, were unexpected.

So as not to violate forum rules, I will not say anything more except that it is in times like these when my Christian faith strengthens me.
Coolius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:21 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Loosing friends is hard at any age. It is also a reminder to enjoy life for all the good things it has to offer.

Glad you are thinking of helping her husband out.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:24 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

A co-worker died in his 40's a couple of months ago and that's why I'm on this forum.
This was actually about the 6th co-worker that have died in the last 3 years, but they were a little older, in their early 50's.

I started to think about the crazy people that I have to deal with at work and thought, "wow...this could be me...dying at 40 and I'm spending my 50 hours a week having to listen to crazy people whine so they can get their big bonus or keep their job."

I'm going to target retiring in 5 years instead of 15 years now.
comicbookgujy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:30 PM   #11

Thanks guys. I met her in college - and I still can't believe she's gone. It was so weird when her husband called to tell me.

Surreal is probably the best description.
rodi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolius View Post
So as not to violate forum rules, I will not say anything more except that it is in times like these when my Christian faith strengthens me.
++1
Original Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:05 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I have lost several friends and relatives.
I am sorry for your loss.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:23 PM   #14
Dryer sheet aficionado

Rodi the same thing happend just a few months ago to a friend of mine just two years older than me. Completly unexpected. It makes you stop and think and shake. I am terribly sorry for your loss. I understand how surreal it feels.
ready yesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:57 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

My condolences Rodi. You are right that her students will be shocked. Most kids are very resilient and will be fine but a few of them will problem have a hard time with this.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:58 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

These are awful things to go through. I understand why you are feeling philosophical..

You are not rambling, just talking.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:15 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
These are awful things to go through. I understand why you are feeling philosophical..

You are not rambling, just talking.
I agree.

I'm sorry for your loss rodi. I hope time heals your heart.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:19 PM   #18

Sorry to read this. Take care.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolius View Post
While I am in no way religious myself, if some sort of faith brings comfort in difficult times, I see no harm in that.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:43 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

My condolences also. And yes, hard to imagine how hard this will be on a class of 4th graders. Very sad.

Milton said most of what I would have said, so I'll quote that and add a bit at the end...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
(1) While it is of course unfortunate that your friend died despite following a healthy lifestyle, don't let that cause you to abandon any good habits that you may have. Although there are no guarantees, it is better to play the odds and try to "do everything right", rather than be fatalistic.

(2) We are all at risk of imminent death: either through trauma, or undetected disease. While it's a bit impractical to "live every day as though it is your last", I do suggest trying to be consistently kind to others, especially those close to you. Helping your friend's husband will of course be consistent with that approach.

(3) Take comfort in the fact that your friend (apparently) died quickly and without significant pain.

(4) If possible, start gradually ramping up your volunteer activities over time.
Well said, and while times like this make us reflect about the 'what ifs' of our own early demise, the fact is that most of us will go on to live long lives. On to our 80's/ 90's, and even past 100 for some of us. So while we might focus on a 'live for today' strategy in times like this, we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that we probably need to plan for a long (and hopefully productive and happy) future. Maybe you can't absorb this right now, but think of it after the shock wears off.

The best thing you can do now is be a friend to the spouse. After the shock wears off, each holiday, and each minor milestone will be tough - they need someone to listen and just be there for them. Professional help and/or a support group can help some people, and/or faith for some.

Take Care -ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote