Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-07-2009, 08:25 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

I like militaryman's suggestion. If you really want #2 don't take pay from #1 don't deal for decades with why was your stay so short questions leave with some integrity, you're sorry you wasted their time.
If you think leaving that money on the table is a big deal it suggests you don't want job #2 that bad after all.
You haven't made a big investment in #1 yet and they only have a few weeks invested in you. If it's not your best choice make the change.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2009, 10:00 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The nicest thing you can do for employer #1 is to leave quickly for #2, if that is where you really want to be. The applicant pool for job #1 is still fresh, they can revive it without a lot of trouble. BUT, be very sure that #2 is where you want to be.

Old 07-10-2009, 05:40 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

If you dump job 1 after just 2 weeks you might not get a favorable reference for future jobs,i'd stay at job 1 for a couple of years then reapply for job 2 with an enhanced CV due to the experience obtained at job 1.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:23 AM   #24
Confused about dryer sheets

In today's economy the first thing I would do is research both company's financial situation.
I'm not sure what line of business either is in but any information you could gather before you jump to a new company might be wise.
Do they have any new contracts with vendors in the pipeline or set to expire, many company's are releasing their quarterly financial results now take a look at both, etc..
Old 07-10-2009, 03:21 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My other concerns are if employer # 2 does tank and you do get made redundant what are your employment options at that time? Is there much available outside of employer #1?

My second concern is you seem favourably inclined for #2 based on your would be supervisor at #2 not making you take a vacation day if you are home with your kids. However, what if a month after joining she is no longer your supervisor and your new supervisor has the same rule as currently in place at number?

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:49 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

OK, I'm going to take a slightly different tack. If your job is more technical or functional, then changing jobs often as in every 2-5 year is not a big strike, but if your job is more managerial where having a web of connections, past favors, and future obligations are important, than job hopping basically means you're starting over.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:16 PM   #27
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thank you all for your advice and perspective. Ultimately, I ended up taking job #2, and as soon as I made the decision a huge weight was lifted, and it feels like the right move in my gut. I handled my departure as professionally as I could. When I told my manager at job #1 that I was leaving, she said she was disappointed but much to my surprise, she also said that if she were in my shoes and if she thought job #2 was the better long term fit, she'd probably make the same move. My last day at job #1 was yesterday and my first day at job #2 is Monday! Ironically, another job I was interviewing for but pulled my name out of when I got job #1, I just found out that the hiring manger who I would have reported to, left for another job...and I can guarantee that if I had taken that job, that the manager wouldn't have given much thought to me coming on board and the committment he made to me.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:06 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisFan View Post
... Ironically, another job I was interviewing for but pulled my name out of when I got job #1, I just found out that the hiring manger who I would have reported to, left for another job...and I can guarantee that if I had taken that job, that the manager wouldn't have given much thought to me coming on board and the committment he made to me.
It took me a moment to figure out what you are saying: You also applied for a position with a third employer. You just learned that the hiring manager for that position is no longer in that role.

You are quite right that the requisition for the position you applied for would be pulled, that the person who replaces that manager would want to make his/her own decision.

Sometimes angels perch on your shoulder. Best wishes for a great career with the employer you have chosen. BTW, you aren't on board yet!!!