I seem to have lost the fire in the belly

Speaking as a nuclear engineer, does the word "any" imply that there's more than one? Or is it a hope that there's at least one?

I'm flattering myself. The word any denotes 0 most of the time.

Maybe it is more along the lines of an old cartoon.

Kid in the class raises his hands, when the teacher calls on him, he says: My brain is full.

Here you go:

farside-my-brain-is-full.jpg

Working for the fed has a lot of advantages and a lot of disadvantages. I decided I can put up with the bureaucrats because of the pension.

I haven't had much time to read lately either. And my DD gets up at 6AM on weekends. Tough to catch up on sleep!

Thanks Milton. Long time no see that cartoon. Gotta be at least 15 years old. Amazing, the stuff rattling around in my brain. Usually good for at least a smirk. Heh.

I'm flattering myself. The word any denotes 0 most of the time.
Buns, why not just date some flat-out sluts? Every person has pluses and minuses, but the sluts' plusses may be more tailored to your current needs, and their minuses inconsequential.

You can always discuss Wittgenstein or what's in the latest Foreign Affairs with your male friends.

Ha

to keep going, he pretended he could hear a cash register going "ka-ching" because he'd just earned another day's pay and was able to put some money away.

This sort of thing has been the only thing that kept me going amid the toxicity of my just-ended job. Remind yourself why you're working: to accumulate resources. Every day of work increases your post-FIRE annual withdrawal amount a little bit.

There is another issue, though: high stress reduces your lifespan, probably significantly. It also leads to poor health and so may reduce the quality, as well as the length, of your retirement.

For those reasons, you gotta get out of your current work situation asap, IMO.

I love the Farside. I still have some cut out and in my desk drawer.

Funny how you mention that you listen to podcasts instead of reading. I have a long commute in the car, so my "reading" has been reduced to books on CD. Not a bad way to pass the time, but I seem to retain more knowledge if I actually sit down with a book, highlight those portions I want to remember, and take some notes.

I agree. I get more out of reading than I ever could out of listening to audio books or podcasts. But the other side of the coin is that when I have almost no energy to dive into a book, I can still sit back and listen to something interesting, and maybe learn a thing or two. At worst, it's like a pleasant one-way conversation with someone intelligent.

At this point, no, I do not remember sleeping in until 11. Before the kids there was grad school and the cfa at night and on weekends for years.

I hear ya! Before kids was law school (at night) for me, but I still was able to catch up on my sleep over the weekend far more than I can these days.

I just signed up for a library card in my town, since I've given on on the idea of stepping out to the library in the city during lunch (too far from the office these days). Picked up a few good books, some fiction to mix things up. Maybe that will kickstart my desire to read on the train again.

Back
Top Bottom