Join Early Retirement Today

I seem to have lost the fire in the belly
Old 01-26-2010, 05:46 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I seem to have lost the fire in the belly

I am wondering whether this is just me, or if others have run into the same thing. I recently bought a text, "Maritime Economics.". It is a fat, heavy, well written textbook on a subject near and dear to my heart (I have a large stake in shipping companies). In years past I plowed through many a graduate level finance and accounting textbook (for business school and then the CFA) as I rode the train to work. Now I open the book, get a few pages in, and... Meh. My mind wanders and I lose concentration.

Maybe it is just the winter blahs. Or maybe its that there is nobody waiting to test me on the book. Or perhaps I am just getting old and intellectually fat. Anyone else run into this?

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2010, 05:58 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Maybe it is more along the lines of an old cartoon.

Kid in the class raises his hands, when the teacher calls on him, he says: My brain is full.

I went to college in my mid thirties, one of the problems I had was reconciling the new material to be learned with the stuff already in my brain and past experience.

Let it sit a few months, then look at it again. Maybe by then it will be irrelevant or more interesting.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:08 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I oscillate between 2 finite states - I devour several books and then I couldn't care less about reading at all.
I normally use winter months to do heavy duty reading but it hasn't happened yet. Too busy flitting off to FL beaches, I guess.

Go with the flow...
Old 01-26-2010, 06:10 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Take Vitamin D!

Audrey
Old 01-26-2010, 07:46 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Take Vitamin D!

Audrey
Been doing that, 2000 iu a day, and it has made a world of difference. Within a week of starting the pills I had a much better outlook, did not have deep doldrums, etc. Yet I am beginning to struggle with the winter blahs for sure. Part of it is undoubtedly the month-long out of state business trip staring me in the face that will consume all of Feb.

- Will Rogers
Old 01-26-2010, 07:58 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Part of it is undoubtedly the month-long out of state business trip staring me in the face that will consume all of Feb.
Ick
Old 01-26-2010, 08:16 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... Or perhaps I am just getting old and intellectually fat. Anyone else run into this?
Yep! And it is not going to get better.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:29 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Like FreeBird, I also go in phases. In November/December I read a lot of books. Right now my eyes are tired of books, so I do other things to keep myself entertained, like singing and playing the guitar.

I don't have much of a habit of reading just for fun; fictions are a waste of time to me. I also find it much easier to read/absorb when I have a reason to (like tweaking my investment, a sudden interest in history, etc.).
Old 01-26-2010, 08:39 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
In years past I plowed through many a graduate level finance and accounting textbook (for business school and then the CFA) as I rode the train to work. Now I open the book, get a few pages in, and... Meh. My mind wanders and I lose concentration.
Do you still ride the train to work?

When DH was still working, he rode the train and read a lot...and I mean a lot of books to pass the time during commute. Now, he reads some but not as much.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:40 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Do you still ride the train to work?

When DH was still working, he rode the train and read a lot...and I mean a lot of books to pass the time during commute. Now, he reads some but not as much.
Yup, still training it.

- Will Rogers
Old 01-26-2010, 08:45 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yup, still training it.
Hmmm...well I'd say your brain needs a rest. Nothin' wrong with letting it wander from time to time...
Old 01-26-2010, 08:47 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
When DH was still working, he rode the train...
Old 01-26-2010, 08:49 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I bet he'd love it if I looked like Sheena! ....well, when she was younger that is.....
Old 01-26-2010, 09:07 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I never heard of Sheena nor knew her look until I searched youtube for this song. I remember hearing this on the radio non-stop some years ago. Just found out that this song was a hit in the early 80s (OMG, has it been that long), and that Sheena is Scottish.

So, this video is old. Who knows what she looks like today? (Does she look good in boots?)
Old 01-26-2010, 09:13 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I never heard of Sheena nor knew her look until I searched youtube for this song. I remember hearing this on the radio non-stop some years ago. Just found out that this song was a hit in the early 80s (OMG, has it been that long), and that Sheena is Scottish.

So, this video is old. Who knows what she looks like today? (Does she look good in boots?)
I found this pic...don't know how old it is. As for her looking good in boots, don't ask me...

Sorry brewer...for the highjack....
Old 01-26-2010, 09:42 PM   #16
Administrator

Quote:
I am wondering whether this is just me, or if others have run into the same thing. I recently bought a text, "Maritime Economics.". It is a fat, heavy, well written textbook on a subject near and dear to my heart (I have a large stake in shipping companies). In years past I plowed through many a graduate level finance and accounting textbook (for business school and then the CFA) as I rode the train to work. Now I open the book, get a few pages in, and... Meh. My mind wanders and I lose concentration.

Maybe it is just the winter blahs. Or maybe its that there is nobody waiting to test me on the book. Or perhaps I am just getting old and intellectually fat. Anyone else run into this?
Any vision problems? If you wear glasses and need a new prescription, perhaps that could result in reading less.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:50 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Part of it is undoubtedly the month-long out of state business trip staring me in the face that will consume all of Feb.
I find that I have trouble concentrating when I have things on my mind. Sounds like the business trip isn't something you're looking forward to. I'll bet things get back to normal when the trip is done.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:08 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Now I open the book, get a few pages in, and... Meh. My mind wanders and I lose concentration.
Hell.........I've always been like that.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:20 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Anyone else run into this?
All the time. Some possibilities:
1. You're getting presbyopic, although IIRC you might still be 5-10 years away from this, um, blessed event. One symptom is that you have to focus farther and farther away from your nose, until your arms run out. But the eye exam can tell you if your lenses are making you 1.25... 1.50... 1.75...

2. You've OD'd on non-fiction. Read one or two trashy novels in your favorite genre. For example Jim Butcher has just put out his latest fantasy novel "First Lord's Fury", concluding a six-volume butt-kicking swords&sorcery drama.

3. If all else fails you could read the latest issue of "The Economist".

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:05 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Heh, let me tell you about vision problems...

I had bifocals when I was 12 and switched to contacts when I was 16 because glasses were so cumbersome/heavy. Contacts are a minus 8 in one eye, minus 6.5 in the other. A bit of presbyopia would be great because it would offset the extreme nearsightedness.

- Will Rogers