Join Early Retirement Today
Re: I want out of my cube!
Old 09-29-2005, 04:31 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Originally Posted by cube_rat
Nords, I agree with you on the networking angle. It's so important to know people. Unfortunately, I'm a bit of a loner, nerdy type which doesn't help one bit.

Thanks again everyone for your intelligent thoughts.
Cube, I think all the advice here is great so not much I can add except your mention of being a loner.

I've interviewed and worked with more than a few programmers and IT types over the years. Having a "loner" personality is a very common trait for your profession. My programmers and IT person are very good but also very oppinionated set in their ways and somewhat anti-social. My biggest ulcers came from getting them to play nice and actually communicate with everyone else. Being a loner also means that networking and just talking to people in your field probably doesn't come easy. Anyway my point is that an outgoing personality (even in the face of nasty interviewers) will set you apart from the competing "loners" once you get your foot in the door. Think of it this way, I like to network cause its fun to learn how other businesses work and it forces me to come out of my cave more often. Networking doesn't always have to be a ladder climbing thing. Getting your foot in by networking and doing some real homework on the company has been well described by other posters and it gives you the amunition to be more personable. I'm always impressed when someone studies my little no-name company and asks as many questions as I do. I think personable nerds are the most successful people out there today.

TargaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2005, 05:53 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by nuisance
He advocates a very different approach to job searching: identify where you want to work, then identify a problem that company faces and demonstrate to them how hiring you is a cost-effective way of addressing that problem.
Hmmm, perhaps Cube could hack their network, identify all their security flaws, e-mail them their passwords lists... and then volunteer to be their white-hat security manager.

Naaah, sounds more like a felony than a job interview.

The book written on, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 06:37 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Whew! I just spent the last two hours submitting resumes. I did a search on the SF bay area's top 200 companies (my current employer is somewhere in the top 5) and did a selection by location. Although I don't mind commuting, there are certain areas in the bay area that are simply intolerable in terms of traffic.

I want to thank everyone from the bottom of my heart for the helpful advice. Believe me, I'll put it to good use.

PS: Any Motely Fool refugees here? If so, did you ever read ROTjob's Cube forum? Now he has some truly funny tales of employment or lack thereof (last I read).
fuzzy? cute?
cube_rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 07:15 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Cube, I have found that taking a few business classes and going to the monthly meetings of my local business council have done wonders for my social skills. I also knew that I had it in me, but it was kind of hard to practice being social in a sea of keep-to-themselves engineers, but after surrounding myself with more outgoing people, I find that networking to be not much of a problem.

What Wabmaster advocates works as well if you're planning to remain completely technical. I know that I'm not all that interested in the pure technical aspects as some of my co-workers, so I will need to develope in a different direction.
Got retiree health care through your company? What if the company goes bankrupt? Retire and go RVing full time? RVs are not structurally sound. You'll die in a fiery crash. Retire and live overseas? What if you die? Aren't you worried about your body? No, I don't think I will be able to seeing how I am dead.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 10:34 PM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

I totally agree with the networking advice. I've been in this situation recently, and both of the offers I got came as a direct result of networking. I had absolutely no luck with replying to job postings on job boards, job fairs, etc.

I picked up a book at the library recently called "A Foot in the Door: Networking your way to the hidden job market" ( I thought some of the tips in the book were really good. It's not enough to just make contacts. It is really important to followup and build relationships with those contacts.

One particularly interesting assertion made by the book is that people who do favors for you (not people who you do favors for) are the ones most likely to want to help you succeed. For example, if someone gives you a referral or makes a call on your behalf, they now have a vested interest in your success. Keeping them updated brings them into the loop, and potentially gives them some satisfaction in helping you. I have no idea if this is true, but it sounds reasonable.
dandan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 10:41 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Cube_rat, professional development classes are often goldmines, particularly for women.* What I discovered is that people were watching me when I was focused on the class.* After I retired, I was recuited into a great job because someone remembered me from the program.

Opportunities often develop when you are busy doing other things, but no one can find you if you don't leave the cube.

Duck bjorn.
Brat is offline   Reply With Quote