Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Identity Crisis
Old 05-06-2006, 12:59 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to vvsonikvv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline
Sounds like you do have very clear personal goals, vvsonikvv, but that still doesn't mean you have to satisfy them inside a corporation.
I have no doubt that one day I will be managing my own company/business. That has been the life long goal. The way I always go about things is that, I see how something is done. I think and tinker a bit. I think I have a better way to do it. And i want to do it better. I like small business because you can see things happening and not have 100 levels before the information gets from the top to the bottom. I want to be close to the customers and to the team I am working with. I am working towards this by, 1. Gaining more equity. 2. Gaining more experience in business. 3. Gaining life skills - human relationships, communicating, meeting people, being disappointed, reaching goals feeling good, ...

Quote:
That being said, I know that many people advise you to take a big company out of college, and it sounds as though you might have done just that. Your experience sounds a LOT like mine right now -- there are 300,000 people in this corporation at last count. The idea that any on of us (with the possible exception of the CEO) is completely expendible is laughable.

I actually took another path -- I joined a small tech company out of business school -- I was employee #151. I got complete control over the Marcom department -- spent many hours building that virtually from the ground up, and got high praise and raises to go along with that. My stuff was so good we got letters from clients saying "i finally get what you guys do now!" those letters are still in my portfolio.
Actually. I did exactly that as well. My company is a 'small' midsized company. About 220 employees. BUT we work in BIG contracts as prime or subs with other companys. So its a little of both, small and comfy that i do recognize most of the people i see, yet big enough that no one really knows what i am doing since I am at client site.

I think I want something bigger with more structure. I dont think we as a company are as structure and laid out as I would like. I was just thrown in. Not knowing what my role was. For example, they hire you as a Software Developer, or an Earned Value Management Guy, or Strategic Planning, blah blah blah. I didnt know how vacation time worked, how things get done in ithe company, where to go, who to talk to.

Maybe its not just my company, but I didnt have direction.

Quote:
No matter what you do the market environment rules. Again, it's nothing personal. I did walk away from that job with a wealth of knowledge -- and that has made all the difference
Yea this is a life lesson I need to learn. I am very FAMILY and TEAM oriented. Loyalty is something I regard highly. I don't like it as being, I'm looking out for me and no one else, because no one else is looking out for me. But I guess that is life. In Theory, I guess it would be better if everyone gave everyone a little support. We'd get things done a lot better that way. Thats how my family is. (Immediate, cousins, relatives. We stick together get things done)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2006, 10:52 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Some roles i may have are "tech support" - software, phone, computer anything support. "admin support" making copies, scheduling meetings, reserving lines, answer questions about anything. "Company Team* support" - answer any question about anything to my company employees, what holidays we have, how to get email, paychecks, pay stubs, reimbursements, policy this or that. "Contractor* Processing Support" whenever we get new contractors i have to fill out all the paper work, get them email, VPN access, ID cards,. We also have "teams" which we have developed Work Plans and I am listed as 1 FTE in PMO support in a certain area.
Quote:
I dont use ANY of my skills from college. (BS in Computer Engineering, also took tons of business marketing classes). I cant use my analytical thinking that much.
Seems like there's a couple misunderstandings here.* It sounds like you took the job for the cash.* But it sounds like the employer made it sound better than "admin." work.* Like you'd be on a "team", working on projects.* Were you clear of what the duties of the job would be, during the interview?* Has this changed from what they promised?*

The other issue is, people go to college for what is usually is a narrow field.* In my case, civil engineering.* I spent several YEARS, in school, on solving engineering problems.* How much of my day, do you think, is spent designing something?* Very little.* People come out of school thinking, hey, I went to school for accounting, I'm going to work on accounting all day, every day.* Sure, there are jobs out there that have you doing that.* ...Or was your college degree proof that you can think.* And, that'll gets you in the door, having that degree.

So, you have to decide, do you want to go to work everyday and do exactly what you did in college?* Is that your "problem"?

From my perspective, it's good to have a job where you are challenged and acknowledged. Ask your supervisor what they have in mind for you. Then you have to apply the "lie detector". Are they saying they have a plan and then, will the plan come true?

Good luck.

Old 05-10-2006, 03:47 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

If you have a degree in Computer Engineering and are doing "administrative" work, there is something SERIOUSLY WRONG.

Find a new job now, doing something in your field. Otherwise you are hurting yourself. When you try to get the next job, they will be like, "Uh, you did administrative work for the last X years? And you want to do what now?"

Yeah, get a new job, NOW.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:52 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CybrMike
If you have a degree in Computer Engineering and are doing "administrative" work, there is something SERIOUSLY WRONG.

Find a new job now, doing something in your field. Otherwise you are hurting yourself. When you try to get the next job, they will be like, "Uh, you did administrative work for the last X years? And you want to do what now?"

Yeah, get a new job, NOW.
Agreed FULLY!. I am getting paid Computer Engineering salary though. Now let me tell you of the two paths that diverged in the road.

1. true Computer Enginer/Scientist/Programmer.
My friends/other co workers at my company on different projects (obviously) are JAVA developers, C+, C#, .NET. They work as 'consultant'/contractors for 1 yr, 2 yr, or more projects doing code for the govt and govt like companies. My perception is that it is challenging mentally, they become experts in development in a specific language, framework, etc. They 'work with' say a team of 5 and are managed by a manager and occasionally talk with the client on design/requirements/testing/support. The stress isn't the highest, the work itself is challenging and fun, but again not the greatest. You go in at 8 or 9 and leave at 5 or so, and sometimes if a deadline leave at 6, 7, 8, or so. Work STAYS at work, and can't leave bc of security. Go home at 6, never think about work till next morning.

Their job is pretty secure, they stay 'competitive' by studying more and keeping up with the latest and greatest languages/technologies and get more and more certs and take more and more classes to build up their 'experience'.

2. Consulting
(in the sense with what I do, I know more about this than programming)
These people are management consulting that develop, implement, and support 'improved' business processes (strategy, management, just a different perspective for the client, etc.) Again doing 1 yr 2yr projects for the govt. Work is challenging mentally, emotionally, physically. You deal with stupid undecisive customers (not that programmers don't as well), other consultants, and varying levels of management. You work as an individual mainly with a few other consultants on a team of 3 or 4 or 5. You deal with 2 or 3 or 4 teams of consultants, but also, MANY MANY MANY client customers, as in different 'sections' within that govt dept. You use problem solving, as well as human relations, communications. You move around alot going to useless various meetings (sometimes useful :P) . You are much more social and not directly tied to a computer all day. Your working hours vary, sometimes go in at 6:30am 7am, sometimes get lunch if your lucky, never know when you leave, could be 5, 6, 7, 8. When you leave work, work is still on your mind as you check email sporadically a few times that nite and actually have things going back and forth. On weekends, work is stil lthere as email is still alive, things still get done.

Job is somewhat secure, usually once project is over, your done. But since you've interacted with 10000000 people, someone will want you on their next project, or you want someone else and form a team, etc. You know tons of people and will see many of them again in another organization, other govt entity, private company etc.

I 'preferred' 2. Consulting and was also put into it. I enjoy the problem solving, but I like to interact and communicate. I feel as though there is better mobility in 'consulting' than in programming. as you really need to keep up to date and keep skills fresh and learn all the jazzy languages or else some new college kid comes in with 50 languages, and 'has you beat'.

Though im starting at the bottom and doing ALOT of admin stuff just because I am the new guy, but also getting my feet wet into the real consulting stuff.

I stay alittle and wait till my raise/performance review/promotion period and see where they really see me. As a temporary "Do this" boy for a while, but really see me doing something, or as a full time "office slave". If the later, yes I am gone to where I can make a real difference.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:29 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sounds like you have it figured out. Flexibility is nice as far as hours. When I graduated, I considered myself very detail oriented (Good at programming, for instance). Now, a few years later, I usually pick the right path in the big picture, but screw up some minor detail of it. ... So, things change, even if you don't expect them to.

Good luck.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:25 PM   #26
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvsonikvv
know at some companies, they put you through a training program, where they set you in different roles so you 'try' them out and then pick (or they pick) where is best for you. (atleast the college hire recruiters tell me). Companies like Booz Allen, Bain, McKinsey, all train you to be good at something. Train you in consulting, doing it their way. But here, I do 'stuff' and i get better at 'stuff', but no one really is looking for an expert 'stuff' doer.
If it makes you feel any better, I assure you that there are plenty of frustrating moments (and hours, and days) for recent college grads who find themselves on the pure strategic side of the business as well. While it's true that there is some training at the firms you mention, nearly everything valuable that can be taken away from the job is acquired through trial-by-fire, and it sounds like you may now be evolving into more of that type of scenario.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:19 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCdaCE
Sounds like you have it figured out. Flexibility is nice as far as hours. When I graduated, I considered myself very detail oriented (Good at programming, for instance). Now, a few years later, I usually pick the right path in the big picture, but screw up some minor detail of it. ... So, things change, even if you don't expect them to.

Good luck.
Well, i havent figured it out. I just went this way as a trial.

I know at Booz. you work 40hrs per week. Work over that, and your good for those hours so if you work 160 hrs in 2 weeks. You get 2 weeks off! I work 160 hrs in 2 weeks... I can expect 160 hrs the next two weeks too!.

UVaOK, thats UVA ? I'm in DC and tons of other co workers, friends, acquantances are from there. Good people. Well, I think maybe Strategy is cool. I'm not sure.

My theory is that there are many positions. And everyone is good at some, and like others. Some positions some dont like, others do. I just know that what I am doing now is not what I like. It's just that I'm not sure if this will lead to a good position. (that position I haven't figured out yet.).

Old 05-19-2006, 06:22 PM   #28
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvsonikvv
I know at Booz. you work 40hrs per week. Work over that, and your good for those hours so if you work 160 hrs in 2 weeks. You get 2 weeks off! I work 160 hrs in 2 weeks... I can expect 160 hrs the next two weeks too!.

UVaOK, thats UVA ? I'm in DC and tons of other co workers, friends, acquantances are from there. Good people. Well, I think maybe Strategy is cool. I'm not sure.

That is indeed UVA--I have lots of friends in DC as well. I graduated last year and am now trying to adjust to the real world while working for Mck/B/B in the Midwest.

Is that true about Booz? I had never before heard that, but it sounds like a great policy (albeit extremely rare for a major firm in this line of work). Now if only I could get my office to adopt a similar policy so that I could have the next 12 weeks off...