Join Early Retirement Today

If U.I. is exhausted, does this no longer show as un-employed
Old 03-19-2015, 12:19 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If U.I. is exhausted, does this no longer show as un-employed

In the statistics, someone who has exhausted U.i. benefits, but is still actively looking for work , does this person drop off the government stats as un-employed ? Reason I ask, the official UI rate for California is mid 6 %. As a lifelong CA resident, this is fantasy IMHO.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2015, 12:48 PM   #2

I briefly looked into this last year.

From recollection, my understanding is that the unemployed rate is determined by telephone surveys.

One of the questions that they ask is "Are you still looking for work?" - or something similar. If you answer no then you fall off the number that determines the unemployment rate.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:06 PM   #3

The way I understand it is yes, if you exhaust your benefit, you also drop off the looking for work statistics. Even if still looking for work

Related, if you are underemployed, such as part-time or a lower income job than you had previously, you are also dropped off the looking for work statistic. Even though you still may be pursuing a new job equal to your previous.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
The way I understand it is yes, if you exhaust your benefit, you also drop off the looking for work statistics. Even if still looking for work

Related, if you are underemployed, such as part-time or a lower income job than you had previously, you are also dropped off the looking for work statistic. Even though you still may be pursuing a new job equal to your previous.
Here is a link to what I think I found last time that describes how the Federal government (bureau of labor statistics) calculates unemployment.

Quote:
Early each month, the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) of the U.S. Department of Labor announces the total number of employed and unemployed people in the United States for the previous month, along with many characteristics about them. These figures, particularly the unemployment rate—which tells you the percentage of the labor force that is unemployed—receive wide coverage in the media.

Some people think that to get these figures on unemployment, the government uses the number of people collecting unemployment insurance (UI) benefits under state or federal government programs. But some people are still jobless when their benefits run out, and many more are not eligible at all or delay or never apply for benefits. So, quite clearly, UI information cannot be used as a source for complete information on the number of unemployed.
Quote:
There are about 60,000 eligible households in the sample for this survey. This translates into approximately 110,000 individuals each month, a large sample compared to public opinion surveys, which usually cover fewer than 2,000 people. The CPS sample is selected so as to be representative of the entire population of the United States. In order to select the sample, all of the counties and independent cities in the country first are grouped into approximately 2,000 geographic areas (sampling units). The Census Bureau then designs and selects a sample of about 800 of these geographic areas to represent each state and the District of Columbia. The sample is a state-based design and reflects urban and rural areas, different types of industrial and farming areas, and the major geographic divisions of each state. (For a detailed explanation of CPS sampling methodology, see Chapter 1 of the BLS Handbook of Methods.)
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote