Join Early Retirement Today

Re: IKEA
Old 11-12-2004, 04:10 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

So you had to assemble a sofa?? *I can't imagine that. Or do the sofas come ready to go?
The frame came assembled (and I got all my purchases delivered for $45 since I bought them all in one day). All I had to do was to put the slipcover on the sofa.

Jane

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2004, 07:16 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

As for BBBY, I still can't decide if they're another Starbucks or a Krispy Kreme. *
That's the million dollar question, eh?

Old 11-12-2004, 07:18 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Yep, a large percentage of our non-food store
purchases
come from Goodwill, resale shops, garage sales, and The Dollar store (in my former life it was Lord and Taylor, LL Bean and Saks).
But, what I like even better than "for cheap" is free.
It is amazing what folks throw out or give away.
In the past year I have been given (or plucked off the curb) an extension ladder, rototiller, 27" color TV,
entertainment center, a clothes dryer, refrigerator, *a set
of rustic tables, a lawn mower, and
an antique desk with brass caps on the legs.
The latest is a huge custom built dog house (we have 3 dogs). *All this stuff was functional with no work needed
whatsoever. *I kept what we could use and sold the rest.
Man, I love free stuff!

John Galt
How'd you find a free 27 inch TV?? In fact, how'd you come across all that stuff??
Old 11-12-2004, 09:15 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

How'd you find a free 27 inch TV?? *In fact, how'd you come across all that stuff??

Keep your eyes and ears open, have a truck for easy transport and you'll be suprised what you can get free or at least real cheap from people who have upgraded and don't have room for the old stuff.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:28 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There is a website (Freecycle.org) where you can join and give away stuff you don't want. Also you can get stuff that other people don't want. I've given away a number of large items through Freecycle.

Check and see if there is one in your area, there are many through out the US. People give away lots of things, I gave away mostly furniture.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:50 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

www.craigslist.org has a "free" section. I've used it to get rid of things that I wanted to get rid of but wouldn't be taken by Goodwill, Sally Anne, etc. It was either that or send it to the garbage and I'd rather that someone get to use it.
Old 11-12-2004, 02:03 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

While I wouldn't consider myself a woodworker, I have a table saw, router etc, and make all the non -upholstered furniture we or I have ever had. I usually just use pine or Douglas fir boards, and stain with Watco Oil. I made my kitchen cabinets the same way. I do have a few nice cherry things that I inherited, and some that I bought back from the Midwest.

For the most part, so called antiques on the west coast cost an arm and a leg, and are basically junk.

As to IKEA, I can't bear huge stores, so I don't go. Also, the Puget Sound Store is quite a distance from me.

Some people love it though.

Mikey
Old 11-16-2004, 12:08 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Thx for all the ideas guys...
Old 12-12-2004, 10:15 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

ok i'm digging this up because i had no reference to talk about it until now. well i visited the ikea at the mall of america this weekend and i was very impressed. the place was packed, granted it was christmas season, but the parking was accessable, the place VERY clean, and the prices from what i could deduct were pretty cheap. i kept looking for stuff we sell at walmart and we sell some very similar stuff, our plants are cheaper, haha. but anyway, i enjoyed a $6 lunch of sweedish meatballs and potoatos and some lingenberries? and soup. the restaurant was packed. they had some pretty good customer service from what it appeared, and a sweedish band was playing on the lower level. the upper level was setup like rooms in a house, and prices dangled from every piece of furnature so you could write the number down and then go downstairs, which looks much like a home depot of furnature, and find your number and put it in these strange carts they had. i think ikea is a very novel idea, and something that will be very successful. i wish i couuld invest in the company, it appears they only have a dozen stores in this country, so they have a lot of room to grow. they seem to integrate entertainment and shopping in a very clever way. now, i didn't really see anything i wanted, but i don't have a house to decorate and my folks are avid about antiques for furnature, decorations, etc. so thats kinda what i lean to as well, but oh well, still very neat.
Old 12-19-2004, 01:37 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

FWIW, my spouse and I bought some items from IKEA in Canada more than 20 years ago, if not more. IKEA has thus been in the larger cities of Canada for a long time. Assembly has always been relatively easy and everything lines up (from my experience). Have to agree though that one must be very selective on what to pick up. Accessories are by far the best opportunities.

IKEA works great for kid's furniture that will get beat up anyway - come to think of it, much of that stuff is still around at our now adult kids' places....about 20 years old.