Join Early Retirement Today

Interesting Article--- What should I do with my Life?
Old 03-16-2006, 10:40 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Interesting Article--- What should I do with my Life?

I thought this was a pretty good article for all the 'young dreamers' out there....

http://www.fastcompany.com/online/66/mylife.html
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Interesting Article--- What should I do with my Life?
Old 03-16-2006, 10:52 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I like this part:

It turns out that having the financial independence to walk away rarely triggers people to do just that. The reality is, making money is such hard work that it changes you. It takes twice as long as anyone plans for. It requires more sacrifices than anyone expects. You become so emotionally invested in that world -- and psychologically adapted to it -- that you don't really want to ditch it.

I met many people who had left the money behind. But having "enough" didn't trigger the change. It had to get personal: Something had to happen such as divorce, the death of a parent, or the recognition that the long hours were hurting one's children. (One man, Don Linn, left investment banking after he came home from a business trip and his two-year-old son didn't recognize him.)

The ruling assumption is that money is the shortest route to freedom. Absurdly, that strategy is cast as the "practical approach." But in truth, the opposite is true. The shortest route to the good life involves building the confidence that you can live happily within your means (whatever the means provided by the choices that are truly acceptable to you turn out to be). It's scary to imagine living on less. But embracing your dreams is surprisingly liberating. Instilled with a sense of purpose, your spending habits naturally reorganize, because you discover that you need less.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 11:53 AM   #3

I've never thought much of Po Bronson's work. Do a search and you'll find quite a bit of discussion of him.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 01:42 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby
I've never thought much of Po Bronson's work.
I think he's an excellent writer who started quite an interesting discussion with "What Should I DO With My Life?", although he does tend to wear his heart on his sleeve.

Of course Bronson is flogging a new book now, and he's an experienced marketer, so he's probably trying to generate a buzz... http://www.pobronson.com/index_why_d...ese_people.htm

If that's too heavy, then just back off to lighter fare--
http://www.pobronson.com/index_nudist.htm

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 03:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
I think he's an excellent writer who started quite an interesting discussion with "What Should I DO With My Life?", although he does tend to wear his heart on his sleeve.*

Of course Bronson is flogging a new book now, and he's an experienced marketer, so he's probably trying to generate a buzz... http://www.pobronson.com/index_why_d...ese_people.htm

If that's too heavy, then just back off to lighter fare--
http://www.pobronson.com/index_nudist.htm
It's the whole "heart on the sleeve" aspect of Po's work that I find unpleasant. He approaches things, at least in his book "What Should I Do With My Life" with the idea that everyone, no matter what their stage in life, can (and should) do what they WANT to do -- without giving equal time to the repercussions of doing so. The vast majority of people in this world have responsibilities (e.g., families, debts, ill relatives, etc...) that they just simply can't walk away from on a whim. Being true to yourself is important, but ensuring that you carry out responsibilities you voluntarily assumed (in most cases) is more important.

Bronson admits that he walked away from a $300k+/year job to follow his dreams (which he really didn't even know at that time). While some might characterize this as brave, I call it short-sighted.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 03:34 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I've seen him on tv twice and I hope he's got something going on that I havent seen yet, because I was very, very unimpressed.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 04:28 PM   #7

Quote:
I've seen him on tv twice
I havent seen him once. Was he in between a little giant ladder and ronco infomercial OR the PBS pledgathon?

Old 03-16-2006, 06:17 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Someone was interviewing him and I want to say it was Jon Stewart. IIRC Jon was cracking some jokes and trying to liven the guy up a little and he just sat there not 'getting it'. Made Al Gore look wild and snappy and GW look bright...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 12:35 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Well, whatever. But it is a very interesting article.

Ha
Old 03-21-2006, 08:43 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ditto what Ha said...