Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-06-2012, 07:40 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

mickj, this is your thread so I'll ask you directly, what is the term "internet fast"? I know I'm a little slow on the uptake but I'm not familiar with this term. Please explain.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2012, 07:44 AM   #22

Johnnie, it means fast in the diet sense. So no Internet for a while. In mickj' s case, no Internet for 30 days.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Johnnie, it means fast in the diet sense. So no Internet for a while. In mickj' s case, no Internet for 30 days.
Thanks MichaelB, I'm glad you clued me in. Like I said before, I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes. I would have never guessed that internet fast meant to fast from the internet. Im thinking speed. Maybe it's my age. If you are going to internet fast, one should have started on Ash Wednesday. Fasting is over with today, it being Good Friday. Maybe that was mickj's objective.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:30 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One guy who didn't have a computer told me "I figure that I will do well in my business because I'm on real-time. With everyone on the Internet, people will need someone who is on real-time."
Old 04-08-2012, 01:02 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
One guy who didn't have a computer told me "I figure that I will do well in my business because I'm on real-time. With everyone on the Internet, people will need someone who is on real-time."
I wonder how many customers could find him.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:04 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Not sure if that famous "contest" episode in Seinfeld is going to be remade with internet fast as topic instead, how would everyone play out in the end.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:57 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratto View Post
Not sure if that famous "contest" episode in Seinfeld is going to be remade with internet fast as topic instead, how would everyone play out in the end.
"I'm out!"

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:09 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
My daughter and I took a trip to Hawaii last week. While there, we attended a luau where a lady was holding her Ipad up in the air in front of her so she could take a videorecording of the luau dancers on stage. She was effectively watching a full-screen YouTube video of a luau on her Ipad while (instead of) being at a Hawaiian luau.

2Cor521
For the few years that I was avidly pursuing photography as a hobby, I often felt the same way; that when I was photographing an event, I was also denying myself the opportunity to experience it fully. This is one aspect of photography that I don't miss.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:21 PM   #29

Like others have said, pulling the cord completely is impractical, as nearly all of us rely on the internet for banking, investing, and other essential services.

I have considered cutting down on or eliminating Facebook though.There is an outer circle of acquaintances from past jobs who I would lose touch with. It's vaguely interesting to know what they're up to, but I could live without that knowledge. The difficulty lies with the friends and family who now use Facebook as their main way to keep in touch (other than direct contact, of course.) I'm not bothered about losing contact with the people I don't care about that much, but it would be a shame to be getting less information from the people I do care about.

For me, I think the answer is to switch the computer off more often and get out of the house
Old 04-09-2012, 08:07 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
"I'm out!"
"Well, that was fast!"
Old 04-09-2012, 09:36 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't have that many good years left so why give up something I enjoy. If I had to give up one of the things I really love then internet would be last. Well, I think anyway
Old 04-09-2012, 10:08 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
My daughter and I took a trip to Hawaii last week. While there, we attended a luau where a lady was holding her Ipad up in the air in front of her so she could take a videorecording of the luau dancers on stage. She was effectively watching a full-screen YouTube video of a luau on her Ipad while (instead of) being at a Hawaiian luau.

2Cor521
Well, that kind of happens anytime you want to photograph or record something - you end up experiencing it through your camera. Although at least with my videocamera I could decide which eye to watch out of - the one looking through the camera or the one seeing the scene directly.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:35 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I've found that an Internet fast usually leads me to spend more time on the Internet. This can lead to dangerous yo-yo Interneting.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:36 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I would say I would be in the top 5% of spending time on the internet without accomplishing anything. If internet went away it wouldnt destroy my life, but the elimination of the morning newspaper and stamps would cause severe harm. The invention of the IPad has really escalated my time online. I love watching sports, but the Ipad has turned my tv into a radio. When it was just the laptap, I didnt use it as much as it was heavier and generated too much heat on me. This IPad thing seems attached to my body everytime I get on the couch.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:52 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
For the few years that I was avidly pursuing photography as a hobby, I often felt the same way; that when I was photographing an event, I was also denying myself the opportunity to experience it fully. This is one aspect of photography that I don't miss.
That is why we have few vacation pictures. I just pick 10 minutes a day to take pictures then put the camera away. much more fun.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:29 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm back. A traumatic event happened with one of my kids that required me to research some legal topics online. I then proceeded to start using the internet with some restrictions and now I am fully online again. It was a good experience though just to give it a try. Wonder if internet addiction will make the new DSM manual.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:19 PM   #37

Mickj, hopefully your family is fine. Good to have you back. When your personal situation allows perhaps you can share with us what you learned from the fast.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:23 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...