Join Early Retirement Today

Internet Fast
Old 04-05-2012, 01:57 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Internet Fast

Anyone ever done an internet fast? I am going to try it for 30 days and see how it works out. Hopefully I can go for longer than that if I like it. I am going to still check email, but that is about it. See you guys in a while :-)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2012, 06:33 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I can see where the internet could start eating up a lot of ones time. Everything in moderation.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:51 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's easy! I've quit thousands of times!
Old 04-05-2012, 06:56 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I have more experience with Internet slow...
Old 04-05-2012, 08:38 AM   #5

Interesting, my older brother lives in an "old farts" condo complex. When mgmt asked if they could send corresspondance by e mail, over 50% of the owners didn't have e mail addresses. So, how does anyone live in a world where they don't change with the times? I wouldn't even try........why should I?........what benefit would I gain?
Old 04-05-2012, 09:05 AM   #6

I have several relatives who don't have internet. They range in age from 96 down to 28. If you never have it, you don't miss it.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:21 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I have several relatives who don't have internet. They range in age from 96 down to 28. If you never have it, you don't miss it.
Almost anything that you give up has a cost. THe cost may not bother, but you won't always know what the cost is. For example, I realized that I could not keep on top of all the tricks Facebook used to make the site more ?attractive? by sacrificing my privacy. So I withdrew. But now I am out of the loop of people who no longer use email to communicate, except via Facebook. One very kind friend sent me a birthday greeting, even though she uses Facebook 99.9% of the time.

Same with texting- I use it, even though talking is often easier for me, because if I didn't use it I wold miss some communications that I don't want to miss.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:42 AM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickj View Post
Anyone ever done an internet fast? I am going to try it for 30 days and see how it works out. Hopefully I can go for longer than that if I like it. I am going to still check email, but that is about it. See you guys in a while :-)
I know several people who gave up the internet (other than their email) for Lent this year. Should be interesting to hear how that went.

I think it would be hard to do this, since the internet is my encyclopedia, my dictionary, my news source, and so much more. I don't have an encyclopedia any more and I don't subscribe to the newspaper, but I do have a dictionary.

Ha, I don't text at all, so maybe I am missing something there. I even had Verizon turn my texting capability off, so that I wouldn't get spam texts.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:58 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

The internet is a double edged sword. At times, I've been away on weekend vacations without ever going online and that felt so very peaceful.

Yet at the same time, it can make one feel very disconected. It's so nice to have info right at my fingertips. If I see something I'm thinking of buying, I can just go to Amazon, do a search and check out reviews. If there is a news story I hear about, such as the recent tornados, I can go online and do a search and read in more detail.

For me I think, a week..maybe. A month..that'll be a challange.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:54 PM   #10

I couldn't do it. I could ditch facebook, texting, and all that, but our banking and investments are online so giving it up completely isn't possible.

I've often wondered what would happen if the internet was suddenly 'not available'. Very scary stuff.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:57 PM   #11

Don't do Facebook of Twitter, so email is my online line of communication with 5-6 folks that I keep up with. Some daily, some monthly, some "whenever".

I do use internet for health forums, financial forums and forums of interest and could likely give that part up.

But, I pay bills, online purchasing, refill prescriptions and keep track of accounts. So doing without internet would significantly impact me.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:27 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Hey, it's like everything else...... too much of a good thing is bad for ya. Too much food = obese. Too much booze = alcoholic. Too much Internet = Internet whacko.

While camping on Madeline Island (an island in Lake Superior off Bayfield, Wis.) last autumn, we stopped by to check on some folks we were traveling with that trip. We were about to walk the mile+ long beach that's part of the state park and wanted to know if they would care to join us. They declined. One was playing a computer game and the other was looking at pictures of Lake Superior on a web site. Sick.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Anyone ever done an internet fast?
What in the world for?!?

Incredible. Maybe you should just stop reading & writing, but I don't think that even Tibetan monks would go that far...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #14

My daughter and I took a trip to Hawaii last week. While there, we attended a luau where a lady was holding her Ipad up in the air in front of her so she could take a videorecording of the luau dancers on stage. She was effectively watching a full-screen YouTube video of a luau on her Ipad while (instead of) being at a Hawaiian luau.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Tell me about it. What is internet fast? Currently I have Verizon Fios with 35/35 internet speed. Is that fast? Compared to what. I know I'm paying $40/mo for the internet. The speed suits me but I don't do a lot of downloads. DW is into that more than I am and she hasn't had any complaints. Clue me in all you high tech people.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:41 PM   #16
Dryer sheet wannabe

sounds like my mother....

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post

She says she never wants the internet, or a computer, or anything to do with it, etc., but when a family member posts their latest baby pictures, she drives over to my sisters to look at them (on my sisters facebook).

She says she doesnt want to do email, but has an email address, when someone sends her an email, her grandson gets it, prints it out, and brings it over, and when she wants to send one (like for example, to an old high school friend in another state), she writes it out, and that same grandson, types it in, and sends it......oh well.....whatever works!
Old 04-05-2012, 07:00 PM   #17

I have never tried to do any kind of fast and don't plan on starting any now.

I use my computer for paying bills and investments, so I would not want to be without it. I like checking facebook to see if anything is going on with any of my friends and relatives and seeing pictures. My younger brother does not do facebook, but he called me to see where his son was on a recent trip to Canada. His flight had been delayed. I do not check my email often enough, but do every week or two. I also would not want to be away from this site for a month. I learn too many things here (just received my PenFed Platinum Rewards card and we are finally in the Wellsley MF) and I also like seeing what everyone here is up to.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:04 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
My daughter and I took a trip to Hawaii last week. While there, we attended a luau where a lady was holding her Ipad up in the air in front of her so she could take a videorecording of the luau dancers on stage. She was effectively watching a full-screen YouTube video of a luau on her Ipad while (instead of) being at a Hawaiian luau.
2Cor521
I'm glad that dad-daughter vacation worked out. How 'bout a trip report?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:36 AM   #19

I wouldn't even consider an internet fast. Don't do Facebook or twitter, but lots of online research, email, text. We spent 2 days last year at a resort in Sedona Az that did not have internet or cell phone coverage. It was brutal.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:15 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I'm with Nords and W2R. To me, giving up the Net because I'm spending too much time surfing, would be like giving up all food just because you need to lose weight. All our finances are on-line. All our friends and relatives, even the oldest, are on-line. I did much of the work for my second Master's degree...on-line. If I'm spending too much time on-line, to no real purpose, I turn off the computer for a while.

Now, smart phones. I don't even own one. I'm sure I'm out of the loop in some way because of it, but so far...not much impact.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
What in the world for?!?

Incredible. Maybe you should just stop reading & writing, but I don't think that even Tibetan monks would go that far...