Join Early Retirement Today
IRA 2011: What did or will you buy?
Old 01-07-2011, 01:36 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
IRA 2011: What did or will you buy?

What did you or will you buy for your 2011 Roth or Traditional IRA contribution? I needed international stocks so I went with VGTSX.

Mill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2011, 06:16 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I am thinking about buying OSFDX. DOes anyone have this or thought about putting in IRA?

rsingh6675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:06 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I needed small cap index so put it all into Vanguard small cap index.
Lisa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:23 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.
I am researching African equities for my emerging market funds. BRIC is overheated, and Africa is getting good growth and return from "Economist". I am overweight in USA stock.

I also am looking at REITs. Long's cycle indicates that we are in an 18 year low in real estate.
Either one would improve my allocation diversity.
devans0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:45 AM   #5
More of the same: Vanguard Target Retirement Income in my 457 plan by payroll deduction (every 2 weeks), and Vanguard Inflation Protected Securities in my Roth on automatic purchase once a month. I did this most of last year and my AA stayed close to my targets, but this year I have eliminated my over-50 catchup contributions, so I may need to adjust what I buy later in the year to stay on the beam. It's also possible the custodian for the 457 plan will be changing, and if so, there may be some new options that would cause me to re-shuffle this.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:02 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Heck... I just moved money from my Hi Yield taxable account to my Hi Yield ROTH account... you know... keep the income account in ROTH....

Had a small cap gain to deal with.. but did not change allocation....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:10 AM   #7
I will contribute the full amount to my Roth in VWINX.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:16 AM   #8
Our Roth IRA's are and will be in Vanguard's VTXVX (2015 Target Retirement Fund).
“Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.”
-John F. Kennedy

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:54 AM   #9
Doing the usual: looking at the asset classes which are currently underrepresented relative to my proposed AA, and buying those to restore balance. What that will be in 2011, I have no clue; if I did I could make a killing knowing which would rise and which would fall.

To keep it simple and not deal with $416.66 a month, I fund our Roths at $600 in January and $400/mo in the other 11 months, so every month or two I'll look at the current AA and use the new cash to rebalance accordingly.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:14 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.
Ziggy, thanks for solving my monthly IRA deduction problem for me. I probably could have figured it out, given enough time....

I'm simplifying our AA considerably, since, let's be honest, I'm not keeping up with rebalancing the mix we've got because I find it annoying. Our new AA will be 25% bonds (Vanguard Total Bond Index); 35% Vanguard Total Market Index; 25% Vanguard Small Cap Index; 15% Vanguard International Index. For now (until I change my mind again, that is).

We'll max out our 401k and IRAs this year, but our main investment strategy beyond that will be to bury our HELOC. So looking forward to the party we're going to throw when that sucker is gone.
"You'd be surprised at how much it costs to look this cheap." -- Dolly Parton
Urchina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:39 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
I'll probably split it between the Dow Dividend ETF (DVY) and the MSCI EAFE ETF (EFV).

I've learned not to do anything until I get the 1099s and finish Schedule C. Then I'll know how much is left to contribute...

The book written on, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote