Join Early Retirement Today

IRS mileage reimbursement rate
Old 09-12-2005, 01:23 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

IRS mileage reimbursement rate

For those of us still working and getting reimbursed mileage from our employer, as of September 1, 2005, the IRS has increased the standard mileage rate from 40.5 cents a mile to 48.5 cents a mile.

Edit: IRS also raised the moving expense rate to 22 cents a mile, but since the rate for providing vehicle services to charitable organizations is set by law, it remains at 14 cents a mile.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: IRS mileage reimbursement rate
Old 09-12-2005, 02:54 PM   #2

Wow, that's high.* How do you think it compares with the true cost to drive a car?

With the last car we had I did a comprehensive calculation of how much it cost per mile.* That calculation was in 2001, was based on buying it at $10,000 and selling it at $2,000, gas at $2/gallon (30 MPG), maintenance total (over 100,000 miles) $2,217, tires $1,027.

The result was .18 per mile.* The IRS rate in 2001 was 34.5 cents.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:01 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
The result was .18 per mile
That is similar to what our agency determined for the costs of dodge neons a few years ago.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:04 PM   #4

Back when I used to deliver pizzas, a rough rule of thumb that I used was how close that mileage writeoff would come to paying for my gas. Now this was back before fuel prices shot up, so I was usually using cars that were fairly large and comfortable, but not too great on fuel economy. Stuff like a '68 Dart, '85 LeSabre, '89 Gran Fury copcar, and so on.

I think that, on average, figuring my tax bracket, the mileage writeoff usually netted me about 7-8 cents per mile. That just about covered the fuel. And in that kind of driving, fuel was definitely the single biggest factor in ownership of the car.

Nowadays, that 48.5 cents per mile would come out to around a net of 16.2 cents per mile. I figure if I still delivered pizzas, my aging 2000 Intrepid would get around 18 mpg. At $3.00 per gallon for gas, that's 16.7 cents per mile. So it would still just about cover it. Driving one of those older cars would kill me, though! The Gran Fury got 10-13 mpg, and had an appetite for hi-test!
Old 09-12-2005, 06:20 PM   #5

When I ran my calculation, fuel costs accounted for only 39% of the cost of operating the car. Most people forget that tires, oil, and engines get used up just like gas does.

I remember talking about this with a sax player at a gig. I told him that it cost me $12 to drive to and from the gig, when I figured depreciation, tires, fuel, etc.

"Oh, no, man, you can't figure it like that," he replied, "cause you gotta drive your car!"

Anyway, I watch this stuff closely because it's 25 miles to the closest town with a population over 300. For example, ten bucks if you want to take the videos back on time.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:39 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
For those of us still working and getting reimbursed mileage from our employer, as of September 1, 2005, the IRS has increased the standard mileage rate from 40.5 cents a mile to 48.5 cents a mile.
So two different rates for the same tax year? Is that a move to offset the current high gas prices or a permanent change? I assume that the same rates are valid for small businesses. I was going to itemize the car expenses, but I don't think I can beat this rate

Vicky
Old 09-12-2005, 07:34 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Just figured I'd way in with my current driving costs. I drive a '96 Maxima, and from 90k miles (not including that checkup) to 120k miles (including that checkup), I spent $0.175 per mile. That includes DMV fees, gas, parking, repair and maintenance, and toll. It notably does not include insurance and depreciation. Adding in insurance it costs $0.277 per mile. Maybe it's time to shop for cheaper insurance. Or I could just drive more. :-)

Tim
Old 09-12-2005, 08:54 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
For example, ten bucks if you want to take the videos back on time.
At that point I'd be thinking: "Netflix."

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 10:00 PM   #9

It used to be that volunteers for the government could only use a standard mileage rate of $0.14 per mile. I remember reading about some legislation that was going to change that but don't know if it ever happened. Anyone know the details?
Old 09-18-2005, 12:25 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thank heavens for the adjustment! On my last consulting gig I rented a car because I could expense it and the gas on an actual cost basis when I could have driven my own vehicle.
Old 09-18-2005, 07:45 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ((^+^)) SG
It used to be that volunteers for the government could only use a standard mileage rate of $0.14 per mile. I remember reading about some legislation that was going to change that but don't know if it ever happened. Anyone know the details?
Still 14 cents.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote