Is Ameriprise any good?

Miss_Lala

Recycles dryer sheets
I rolled over a 401k into an IRA with Ameriprise just over two years ago. Since then I've become much more determined in respect to FIRE and I've begun to examine my accounts. I can't find a symbol for my IRA account to check what companies make up the fund, and it doesn't give me a rate of return either. I'm currently contemplating switching to Vanguard to hold this account for me. Does Vanguard show a rate of return? I've browsed through their funds and like their website in general.

I picked Ameriprise because I was following what my parents did. Now that I know more of my parents financial situation, I'm very nervous about the decision I made a few years ago.

Should I switch?

Just a guess, but I would imagine you are being milked with fees. I would switch.

We went to an Ameriprise free consultation session some years back. Mind, we already had everything set up and a good asset allocation. Their suggestions all involved putting money into variable annuities. :rolleyes:

I've been highly dubious of them ever since, and would not deal with them again.

Currently I only have $13,200 there and they are taking out $19 a year. So right now the percentage is pretty low, but I have no clue what they base the fees on or when they'll go up.

Currently I only have $13,200 there and they are taking out $19 a year. So right now the percentage is pretty low, but I have no clue what they base the fees on or when they'll go up.

Heh, find out what the expense ratio on the funds is. Bet it is well north of 1% annually.

We have Ameriprise at work for our 401(k). I put everything into ADIEX, their S&P500 index fund which has low expenses, compared to their other fund offerings. Their target fund is something like 2.5%.

Like Brewer said, check to see what you are actually invested in because they offer 100s of funds.

Heh, find out what the expense ratio on the funds is. Bet it is well north of 1% annually.

I guess that's my problem with them. I can't even get to a screen that shows me the expense ratio.

Thanks for the input so far. It's been some confirmation on what I had already been thinking.

update

So I just got her to respond to me and I found out that there's a 0.49% expense ratio, so it's slightly better than I was fearing it would be. But then I found out that there's also a 5.75% front load which I never knew about. Then there's the $19 a year that I have no idea what it's for.

I will be firing them ASAP.

5.75% front load! Should be against the law! Before I retired, I talked with my local "friendly" banker, who recommended a Franklin Templeton fund that also carried a 5.75% front load. After I recovered from nearly swallowing my tongue, I asked if this [-]crap [/-] investment opportunity was a popular choice. She said it was with many of the widows she worked with. Yet another reason why women as well as men need to be educated about financial issues.

Her response to my initial e-mail was quite defensive of the fund saying how well it's done after the fees. I've already sent a response asking her if she's the person receiving the load and asking what the $19 is for if its not a load fee :bat:.

Thanks again for the confirmation that Ameriprise is an awful company. I'm going to start working on my parents to get their money out of there as soon as possible.

This sounds familiar. When I got into my wife's 403(b) and asked about expenses, their reply was, "Why do you want to know?". :bat:

A few shysters had the whole school system retirement investment plan to themselves and no one seemed the wiser. We got the choices expanded and we are with Fidelity and Vanguard now.

I guess that's my problem with them. I can't even get to a screen that shows me the expense ratio.

Thanks for the input so far. It's been some confirmation on what I had already been thinking.

Call the advisor and demand it.............;)

So I just got her to respond to me and I found out that there's a 0.49% expense ratio, so it's slightly better than I was fearing it would be. But then I found out that there's also a 5.75% front load which I never knew about. Then there's the $19 a year that I have no idea what it's for.

I will be firing them ASAP.

Good luck......but be careful on becoming a "financial advisor" to your parents too quickly.........may cause some issues...........

Good luck......but be careful on becoming a "financial advisor" to your parents too quickly.........may cause some issues...........

They've been asking me about it for years now, so it isn't a tricky subject to bring up with them. Both ends are very open regarding giving information. They both have acknowledged that they are essentially clueless and when they do something financially they typically call and ask for my advice. Now, do they follow the advice........not typically, but when I tell them how they're financing Dennis Hopper's commercial career, they may listen well this time :).

Impressive

Miss Lala,

You're a wise woman, and still young too. Good instincts. Don't ignore them.;)

I gotta admit though that I enjoy those Dennis Hopper ads...beautifully photographed, engaging scripts ---- but I STILL wouldn't invest with 'em, no matter how much I like their commercials!:bat:

"Don't look at me!!"

Attachments

• blue-velvet-frank.jpg
    blue-velvet-frank.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 210
I am still grandfathered onto the 10 free trades per month per account plus the company 401(k) is still there so I keep them. However, I don't pay any monthly fees and do not have an advisor.

Headline from WSJ-online this AM:

Several States
Probe Practices
At Ameriprise

Regulators Focus on Sales
Of Signature Financial Plans
Allegedly Never Delivered

Back
Top Bottom