Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Is Florida becoming too expensive?
Old 05-07-2007, 10:18 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

What is your reason for choosing Florida [good weather quiet?] Have you ever considered moving a little more south to the Dominican Republic. No land and house taxes, health insurance for my wife and I is about US$ 500 per year. We also have good weather and quiet.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2007, 10:21 AM   #22
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ug
What is your reason for choosing Florida [good weather quiet?] Have you ever considered moving a little more south to the Dominican Republic. No land and house taxes, health insurance for my wife and I is about US$ 500 per year. We also have good weather and quiet.
Because hurricanes use you guys as a speed bump.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:28 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Please check your facts we get less hurricanes than Florida and also there is many mountains which kill hurricanes.

Old 05-07-2007, 10:53 AM   #24
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ug
Please check your facts we get less hurricanes than Florida and also there is many mountains which kill hurricanes.

Recently you are correct. Did you live there in the late 1990s? On the other hand, where do you evacuate too?
Old 05-07-2007, 11:16 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd
I notice that USAA will no longer offer homeowners insurance to any new Florida residents unless they are transferred to Florida by the military.

This is a huge change and an indicator of how crazy it must be getting in Florida, my home state.
This is USAA's reaction to the insurance price controls state government imposed a few months back, as well as the legislature deciding to make Citizen's (formerly insurer of last resort) compete with the real insurance companies. As Citizen's has a lower cost structure and losses will be subsidized by all of Florida's insured's, USAA feels it is being unfairly competed against.

For those that don't know, the legislature will be called back for a special session to "solve" the property insurance crisis.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:03 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredofwork
For those that don't know, the legislature will be called back for a special session to "solve" the property insurance crisis.
Actually, they are having a special session to "solve" the property tax crisis.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/03/us/03florida.html
Old 05-07-2007, 12:07 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
losses will be subsidized by all of Florida's insured's
Maybe. If we get another 2005 season or hurricane Andrew, Citizens will end up being subsidized by the FL taxpayers.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 01:58 PM   #28

My grandfather lives near Tampa and he mentioned that his insurance was going up to $2500 per year with reduced coverage (no wind, etc.). He only owed 14k on the house so he decided to put the balance owed on a BT card at 3.9% and cancel his insurance. He's 80 but he's pretty sharp. After Katrina insurance fiasco he feels why bother with the insurance because if something does happen to the house he'll be dead by the time they decide the gov't forces them to pay policy owners.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:08 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious
Actually, they are having a special session to "solve" the property tax crisis.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/03/us/03florida.html
Right. Was thinking tax and typed insurance.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:11 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Maybe. If we get another 2005 season or hurricane Andrew, Citizens will end up being subsidized by the FL taxpayers.
Well, I suppose this could be done through a sales tax increase if they had to do it.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:15 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, I suppose this could be done through a sales tax increase if they had to do it.
What I was getting at was that the state backs Citizens with its own balance sheet/credit. If a big, costly hurricane hits FL, Citizens will become quite insolvent and the state will have to pick up the pieces. That's why S&P downgraded Florida's credit rating when they passed the insurance legislation that expanded Citizens.

- Will Rogers
Old 05-09-2007, 12:20 PM   #32

I recently refied my house here in northern FL and had to pay the State and County tax stamps AGAIN on the refied amount even though ownership didn't change hands (one way that the government fleeces the property owners). Where I live the property taxes are very high (22 millage rate) and we only get the 3% cap on increases if we homestead the house. Don't get me wrong, I love it here, but it isn't cheap.

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 12:27 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
What I was getting at was that the state backs Citizens with its own balance sheet/credit. If a big, costly hurricane hits FL, Citizens will become quite insolvent and the state will have to pick up the pieces. That's why S&P downgraded Florida's credit rating when they passed the insurance legislation that expanded Citizens.
That's my understanding. At least the homeowners are protected and will remain whole.

Florida has untapped options to remedy such a short-fall. With a population of ~18mm and no state income tax, that may be a fall-back (even at 2-3%). Lacking such a calamity, a state income tax seems unlikely. There's also talk locally of tapping in to gaming revenues.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 12:36 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
At least the homeowners are protected and will remain whole.
I'm not so sure I would make that assumption. The system that the state has set up pretty much ensures that a major hurricane would send many private insurers into insolvency at the same time Citizens gets hammered. The actions of the state gummint reduced insurance costs in the short term, but effectively cut off the ability of local insurers to disperse big catastrophes to a wider base of capital via the reinsurance market.

I am glad that I personally will not have to find out what happens if the whole system goes over the waterfall.

- Will Rogers