It is finally done...

brewer12345

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
...and the state of New Jersey and the town we lived in can suck it (put your cheeks into it, baby!).
At the end of June we split from the PRNJ (People's Republic of New Jersey) and bought a house in CO. I started my new job and have been having a pretty good time, except for the anvil I have been dragging around in the form of a house under contract, but not sold. We were marching down the aisle to the closing table when Irene hit and knocked out the power for a while. This being the swamp that is NJ, the sump pump failed when the power went back on and the resulting flood torched the water heater and the furnace. $10k later, the work was done, and now all I had to do was convince the goat-rapers who masquerade as various flavors of inspectors to actually show up and sign off on the work (and re-issue the C of O, which is required every time you sell a house in NJ). I had 5 (count them) 5 different goshdarn inspectors that had to show up: C of O, fire, plumbing, electrical and structural. All of these *&$*%$^$! had to certify that a house that has been occupied for 60 years and continuously rennovated was safe (read: gargantuan shake-down). Oh, and I had to coordinate this not only from a distance but also while I was on the road for work.

Closing was today at 3PM EST. Thank Dog.

Everything you have read about small town NJ corruption and inefficiency is true. And then some.

The final kick in the fork is that NJ has an "exit tax." If you sell a house and escape, you are required to send the estimated cap gains tax n the sale to the state at closing. If you don't have a profit (like me), you have to send 2% of the gross purchase price just because. This is in addition to hefty transfer taxes. You can, of course, immediately file to get the money back (it is in the mail), but who knows how long that will take. Many people apparently just put an in-state forwarding address and dodge the witholding, but I 1) was uncomfortable perjuring myself and 2) would be exposing 3 additional months of income to NJ state income taxes.

This process has been, in a word, excruciating. If I ever meet a building inspector for the town we lived in, it will take a concrete act of will to avoid taking him out back and kicking 9 kinds of sh!t out of him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear the new start can now officially begin, Brewer. Congrats.

Yeah baby!!!!!

Happy for you! :D:D:D

Goodbye to the anvil and cord you had attaching it to you across the distance. I hope your new job and home are the best yet.

That totally sucks about the hurricane, sump pump, water heater, furnace.

Do you think the various agencies/departments/inspectors were looking for a little consideration to ease the process?

I imagine there are a lot of people leaving the state who had to sell with negative equity who can't afford to temporarily pop for 2% of the gross purchase price. Just pour that salt into the bleeding housing wounds.

Was in the army in NJ. Later did business in the Port of Newark.

Some parts are nice, but it is one of those places I cannot imagine deliberately moving to.

I'm happy for you, Brewer. I also feel relief for you, I'm glad you now have it behind you.

Good for ya'. You escaped alive and have landed in a (hopefully) better place.

Do you think the various agencies/departments/inspectors were looking for a little consideration to ease the process?

Nothwithstanding the fact that the mayor of a neighboring town was dragged off in leg chains at 5AM a few years ago, there seems to have beenno hint of such in this case. Its more the town looking to milk people for several hundred dollars in permit/inspection fees so that they can support their bloated payroll.

Whew....brewer12345....I really felt that pain and frustration you went thru while reading your words!!!! Glad it is over for you!

I see a movie in the making, "ESCAPE FROM NEW JERSEY!" Congrats on making it.

Congrats on the successful escape. Better later than never.

Maybe a new list to start, the 10 best States - to void like the plague.

My top ones. NY, NJ, MD and DC

Congrats on the successful escape. Better later than never.

Maybe a new list to start, the 10 best States - to void like the plague.

My top ones. NY, NJ, MD and DC
DC isn't a state. I wish they would treat us like a territory and suspend FIT.

DC isn't a state. I wish they would treat us like a territory and suspend FIT.
I know DC is not a state, I still have no use for it.:greetings10:

So overall you had a positive experience with NJ?

... the state of New Jersey and the town we lived in can suck it (put your cheeks into it, baby!).
................. This being the swamp that is NJ............ convince the goat-rapers who masquerade as various flavors of inspectors .................All of these *&$*%$^$! had to certify .........(read: gargantuan shake-down)............

Everything you have read about small town NJ corruption and inefficiency is true. And then some.

.......... If I ever meet a building inspector for the town we lived in, it will take a concrete act of will to avoid taking him out back and kicking 9 kinds of sh!t out of him.

Congratulations.

I would respectfully suggest that you need to learn to let out your anger and tell us exactly how you really feel. No need to pull punches or couch your words.

Brewer,
How much time from when you started to think about switching jobs till you close on the house. I am thinking that you accomplished this in a very short time.

Brewer,
Congrats on the escape. Bright side: You'll save the five Christmas cards you were gonna mail to those inspectors.

Now the fun can begin. Mail every city department who inspected you the "payment requested for the attached completed inspection". Send them a registered letter with a cashier's check for $1.98. See how long you can keep the correspondence going with each.

Congratulations - this has been a LONG time coming! And wouldn't you know, major stress up to the end. So happy for you that your are on your new path! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom