Job Evaluation

Sue

Recycles dryer sheets
Employees are going to be evaluated at my workplace for the first time in over twenty years. This has been mandated by the new person (female) at the top of our organization.  For the evaluation process, employees will first answer a questionnaire which addresses how the employee perceives they are treated in their job.  Topics include whether you have had difficulties being promoted, whether your salary is equitable, whether you have sufficient access to your supervisor, whether you have had opportunities to use your skills in new ways, etc.  After the employee answers the questionnaire, it is given to their supervisor who evaluates the employee, determines the employee’s yearly raise, and has a face-to-face meeting with the employee. 

This evaluation is, in part, in response to an anonymous survey where a large of number of women reported inequity in terms of promotions, salary and treatment by “higher-ups”.  In my case, my supervisor created a hostile and stressful work environment, made it as difficult as possible for me to get promoted and get my work done, as well as substantially underpaying me for many years.  However, after the new person took over the job at the top of the organization, my supervisor had a personality change and has acted more reasonably for the last nine months.  I don’t believe that this personality transformation is genuine.  He is an abusive bully.

My question is how do I answer this questionnaire?  If I answer truthfully, I will be criticizing my supervisor in writing and he will most likely retaliate in my evaluation to justify his past actions.  On the other hand, if I ignore all his past actions, there will be no documentation of previous inequities and he could still attack/discredit me in my evaluation. 

The official explanation for the employee questionnaire is that it provides “an opportunity for opening communication” between supervisor and employee during the evaluation process, but I feel like I am being set-up.  I have been considering two different approaches.  One approach would be to just focus on inequities which can be documented (salary and promotion) and not address anything anecdotal or subjective.   The other approach would be to play it safe by answering the questionnaire with innocuous statements.

I know that some of you will suggest that I leave, but I am concerned about raising health care costs, and inflation during retirement.  So I would like to stay a few more years and pad my nest egg.  I am very good at my work and really like the work (when my supervisor leaves me alone).  Does anyone in this forum have any suggestions or comments?

Man what a bad, bad idea. Have you casually chatted with coworkers as to what they are going to do?

Since you plan on sticking around a while, I would suggest you "pucker up" and plant a big one on the questionnaire. I'd follow that up with more smooches at the face to face.

Personally, I wouldn't be able to do it, so I would be out the door. But I probably would have moved on a long time ago anyway...

Martha said:
Man what a bad, bad idea.  Have you casually chatted with coworkers as to what they are going to do? 

"Bad bad idea" is spot on. Office politics/conflicts...........Bah Humbug!

JG

brewer12345 said:
Since you plan on sticking around a while, I would suggest you "pucker up" and plant a big one on the questionnaire.  I'd follow that up with more smooches at the face to face.

Personally, I wouldn't be able to do it, so I would be out the door.  But I probably would have moved on a long time ago anyway...

Well, brewer, I was thinking that myself. I didn't mention it as the
regulars all know how I would handle this problem :)

JG

If things have gotten better with new management, why bother with starting a battle with the questionnaire. I agree with trying to get along if you want to stay.

This one post has made me more glad I am out of the workplace, than any other post I've seen on this forum. :) - god I hated sh!t like this!

If you want to stay there and pad your nest egg, I suggest like brewer - kissing up - Which works, but I never did it and probably explains why
I was not a resounding success in corporate america.

My first inclination would be to go into the new female boss and tell her how much disruption that the new evaluation procedure is causing in the workplace, and it will be the reason she will be complaining about the low productivity in the months to come.

img_346639_0_6fd40ecb5e713a7fc4c57563d53d49bc.jpg

Sue said:
In my case, my supervisor created a hostile and stressful work environment, made it as difficult as possible for me to get promoted and get my work done, as well as substantially underpaying me for many years.  However, after the new person took over the job at the top of the organization, my supervisor had a personality change and has acted more reasonably for the last nine months.  I don’t believe that this personality transformation is genuine.  He is an abusive bully.

My question is how do I answer this questionnaire?  If I answer truthfully, I will be criticizing my supervisor in writing and he will most likely retaliate in my evaluation to justify his past actions.  ...The official explanation for the employee questionnaire is that it provides “an opportunity for opening communication” between supervisor and employee during the evaluation process, but I feel like I am being set-up.  I have been considering two different approaches.  One approach would be to just focus on inequities which can be documented (salary and promotion) and not address anything anecdotal or subjective.   The other approach would be to play it safe by answering the questionnaire with innocuous statements.

This happens all the time.  Your best choice may be to very careful in handling this.  You will need to answer the questionnaire but since your supervisor will be the one to discuss the responses with you, the system as designed by the Big Boss Lady, will not work as she intended.  That makes you have to cover your rear and not really be honest in your responses for the very reasons you stated.  

Play the game and keep it on items that are safe to discuss.  Your boss seems to be a real jerk and they do not like this kind of change very much.  Don't give him any more reasons to bully you.  

In a perfect working world, the system would actually work and no one would use fair and honest responses against you.  The work world is very far from perfect so rule number one is, cover you rear at all times and keep friction with your boss to a minimum.  

Cut-Throat said:
This one post has made me more glad I am out of the workplace, than any other post I've seen on this forum. :) -  god I hated sh!t like this!

If you want to stay there and pad your nest egg, I suggest like brewer - kissing up - Which works, but I never did it and probably explains why
I was not a respounding success in corporate america. 

My first inclination would be to go into the new female boss and tell her how much disruption the this form is causing in the workplace, and it will be the reason she will be complaining about the low productivity in the months to come.

img_346645_0_6fd40ecb5e713a7fc4c57563d53d49bc.jpg

Good post C-T. Around here we just use the acronym STFU, trying
to be more PC don't you know? :)

JG

MRGALT2U said:
Good post C-T.  Around here we just use the acronym STFU, trying
to be more PC don't you know?  :)

JG

Personally, I thought his post was hilarious. :LOL:

Not sure if this would help, but you could try posing your question/concern to your HR department ( if you have one ).  I was in a vaguely similar situation a couple years ago.  I wanted to apply for an internal job with my annual review around the corner.  I just KNEW my boss would take it very badly and give me a bad review if I told him I applied for this job, but that is our corporate policy ( we have to tell our boss before applying, not just accepting ).  He was very proud of "never losing an employee" and looked at it as disloyal to leave.  Well, I asked HR for advice and they told me that my boss should not let it affect my review.  So, I went ahead and told him and guess what:confused:  Not only did he get upset, he refused to give me my review AT ALL so I got no annual raise that year.  After accepting the new position, he told me my last day was that Friday and my new manager had to rush to be ready for me the following Monday.  Luckily, my new manager was able to get special permission to partially compensate for not getting a review, but it did not make up for it totally. 

I realize that wasn't all that helpful, but I do feel your pain.  Probably your best bet is to play it safe.  Best wishes.

Don't make the mistake of thinking that anything will change based on what you write on your evaluation. Just write some fluff.

They will promote and give the good raises to whom they please... as it was before.

Take this opportunity to find out if there is something you could do ( or not do) to improve your performance.

It's mostly nonsense, but just maybe you and them can find some common ground

Cut-Throat, I am still laughing here at work at your post.
It is all a game during the working hours. Who smiles the most, who complains the least usually wins the game. The annual review process is a formality and the raises are usually pre-determined.

I predict that the executive who created this survey will crash and burn shortly.  S/he has revealed their lack of understanding of workplace dynamics.

Brat said:
I predict that the executive who created this survey will crash and burn shortly.  S/he has revealed their lack of understanding of workplace dynamics.

In my unfortunate experience, clueless and toxic bosses can survive for a long, long, long time.

Sue said:
I know that some of you will suggest that I leave, but I am concerned about raising health care costs, and inflation during retirement.  So I would like to stay a few more years and pad my nest egg.  I am very good at my work and really like the work (when my supervisor leaves me alone).  Does anyone in this forum have any suggestions or comments?
Sue,

Is this survey issue the real issue or a proxy for a boss problem? I'm afraid that the survey won't fix the problem. In fact it sounds like the survey is just going to create a bunch of new problems. These problems might be worse than any presumptive benefits offered by the illusion of employment/healthcare security.

If you're trying to resolve the boss problem once & for all, the survey isn't the way to go. Scott Burken has an interesting essay on boss problems but his primary solution is to fire your boss-- either move to another part of the company or leave the company altogether.

If you're not ready to risk Berkun's approach, then the next-best thing is to just fluff the survey, nod & smile during your interview, and just grit your teeth for the next couple years. You'll resolve your pension & healthcare concerns, as long as the internal stress doesn't eat away at your very soul like corrosive acid...

brewer12345 said:
Since you plan on sticking around a while, I would suggest you "pucker up" and plant a big one on the questionnaire.  I'd follow that up with more smooches at the face to face.

Personally, I wouldn't be able to do it, so I would be out the door.  But I probably would have moved on a long time ago anyway...
If you plan on staying, this is best option. If you're leaving, try Cut-Throat's. You get to leave laughing. :LOL:

The annual review process is a formality and the raises are usually pre-determined.

This is true ... every year I did reviews the "paper work" - and the "meeting" - followed the salary spread sheet.

You're not helping yourself by pissing-off your boss. Lay low.

Nords said:
If you're trying to resolve the boss problem once & for all, the survey isn't the way to go. Scott Burken has an interesting essay on boss problems but his primary solution is to fire your boss-- either move to another part of the company or leave the company altogether.

Nords - This is an excellent essay from Scott Berkun. I'm going to bookmark it.

We have job reviews and performance evaluations. I review several folks who work for me. It can be tough for folks on both sides of the desk. I would not want to be in your shoes cube_rat.

Our company also has anonymous suggestion boxes. Why not put your original post in a suggestion box? Or send it anonymously to the head honchess?

cube_rat said:
Nords - This is an excellent essay from Scott Berkun.  I'm going to bookmark it.
I've spent hours on his website... his book still hasn't arrived at our library but it'll be interesting to see if it catches on with the submarine force, especially in shipyard!

Ginger said:

It is all a game during the working hours.  Who smiles the most, who complains the least usually wins the game.   The annual review process is a formality and the raises are usually pre-determined. 

You are one smart lady, Ginger :D

Lance

The consensus opinion is that I should not pick any fights with my supervisor.  Good advice.  I'll have to endure the short-term pain of sucking up for the long-term pleasure of FIRE.  The best revenge is living well!

A job evaluation that you do not agree with should contain your personal comments and not a blanket acceptance.

In many cases this review may be just a paper trail to be used for dismissal or re assignment.

I have had several negative reviews in my working career, beinghe most successful person within that organisation based upon measurable parameters, but in several cases it was a weak person trying to eliminate potential rivals for future positions.

Life is very much like Survivor, the strongest and best are sometimes voted off so the weak may win.

In the US most people spend their time managing their careers rather than managing their job.

Nords, thanks for the link to the article on Bad Managers. It's a great essay and I'm still digesting it.  Sometimes I think my supervisor is just a symptom of the "corporate culture" at my workplace.  I was hopeful that this might change with new people in top positions, but I am less optimistic now.

Back
Top Bottom