Join Early Retirement Today

just another reminder...
Old 06-05-2009, 11:48 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

just another reminder...

...to enjoy life to the fullest while you can, and FIRE as soon as you can...for those of you "on the fence"

I work in geriatrics. One of my clients told me today that his only regret is that he was always focused on "getting the next dollar" and succeeding in business vs. spending time with family and enjoying life more along the way.

He has been diagnosed with a neurodegenerative disease called progressive supranuclear palsy. This disease is progressive and there is no known treatment.

He said he worked 15 years without taking a vacation. Wow.

If you could FIRE but are having that "just one more year" syndrome...make sure you think about it. You don't want to have regrets like this.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2009, 12:06 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Great reminder, Simple Girl, thanks. I could have retired a year earlier, and must admit that my last year at w*rk wasn't pretty. It also gets me thinking about how to spend my retirement time, to put the fun stuff up front, he he, the place can be cleaned some another day.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:08 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

... and not just for those who are still working...
Old 06-05-2009, 04:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
If you could FIRE but are having that "just one more year" syndrome...make sure you think about it. You don't want to have regrets like this.
It's like the old saying goes: No one ever laid in their death bed wishing they spent more time at work.

It's also the reason why, as obsessed diligent as I am about saving large chunks of cash for retirement, I try to make sure I have "fun money" in the budget. I don't know that I'll be around to enjoy the tomorrows I'm saving for, so there's some living for today to be done as well.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 04:34 PM   #5

Quote:
He said he worked 15 years without taking a vacation. Wow.
Wow indeed

I've never heard of the disease he has, but I wonder if his choice of lifestyle could have contributed to it.
Old 06-05-2009, 07:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Wow indeed

I've never heard of the disease he has, but I wonder if his choice of lifestyle could have contributed to it.

I don't know either. I don't think they have identified a definitive cause. For some reason, brain cells in a certain section of the brain start deteriorating.

He also said to me today, "you know, pretty soon, I'm not going to be able to walk at all or get up out of a chair".

This guy was a high power businessman. Started out with around $400 in his pocket...alluded to the fact that he is a multimillionaire now...but all the money in the world can't fix him.

Heavy stuff. Such a nice man.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
Old 06-05-2009, 08:36 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

simple girl how often do you come across this situation? With lots of regrets that is? thanks
Old 06-05-2009, 09:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve88 View Post
simple girl how often do you come across this situation? With lots of regrets that is? thanks
Actually, not often, which is why it really got to me.

It would be interesting to see how often those in hospice hear these kinds of statements.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:44 PM   #9

Quote:
I don't know either. I don't think they have identified a definitive cause. For some reason, brain cells in a certain section of the brain start deteriorating.

He also said to me today, "you know, pretty soon, I'm not going to be able to walk at all or get up out of a chair".

This guy was a high power businessman. Started out with around $400 in his pocket...alluded to the fact that he is a multimillionaire now...but all the money in the world can't fix him.

Heavy stuff. Such a nice man.
That is so sad.

I did a bit of googling and you are right that they really don't know the causes, but one of the possibilities is that it is caused by "free radicals" so a diet rich in anti-oxidants would be very important - but we know this is good for defense against many diseases.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:58 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Actually, not often, which is why it really got to me.

It would be interesting to see how often those in hospice hear these kinds of statements.
SG,
I have been around people who are literally in their last hours who told me to leave them alone and they are dying tonight. I am trying to remember if anyone had discuss financial. I think most of them just care about living longer after the initial shock of finding out they don't have much time.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:23 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
It's like the old saying goes: No one ever laid in their death bed wishing they spent more time at work.
No, but there are plenty of elderly folks living in squalor who wish they did.

I understand your point, but that saying has always bothered me. Of course someone who's dying wishes they'd had more fun - they're out of time. But the alternative (spending your last 20 years living in poverty) is no picnic either. The truth is, lots of people wish they'd worked a little harder, saved a little more, planned a little better.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:35 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
No, but there are plenty of elderly folks living in squalor who wish they did.

I understand your point, but that saying has always bothered me. Of course someone who's dying wishes they'd had more fun - they're out of time. But the alternative (spending your last 20 years living in poverty) is no picnic either. The truth is, lots of people wish they'd worked a little harder, saved a little more, planned a little better.
Which has absolutely nothing to do with spending more time at work.
Old 06-07-2009, 01:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kombat View Post
The truth is, lots of people wish they'd worked a little harder, saved a little more, planned a little better.
None of these necessarily require working longer hours or for more years. It does require discipline and making good/prudent decisions over the course of one's life.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

Old 06-09-2009, 09:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
None of these necessarily require working longer hours or for more years. It does require discipline and making good/prudent decisions over the course of one's life.
Agreed. Such people made poor choices throughout their lives, even though they most likely knew the right choices to make (and didn't make them).

Should you feel any pity? Not really. All you can do is help them live on what they have, and perhaps provide a little help if you are particularly close. If they refuse to change, and simply want to continue complaining about how life is so "unfair," then you're just wasting your time.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:56 AM   #15

SG, thanks for sharing your reminder about time being shorter than we think.
Good to remember, while working and when we retire.

How's that moving from 11% to 12% retired coming along, Rich in Tampa?

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:59 AM   #16

Live for today.... but plan for tomorrow....
Old 06-09-2009, 11:13 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

A good friend's friend died this year from PSP. It took a long time to diagnose, but since there's no treatment, it didn't really matter (not the kind of disease where one might say, if only they'd caught it early).

Wonder why someone would choose not to take vacations for 15 years--wonder if SG's patient would still regret that had he not taken ill.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:55 PM   #18

So for those of us that are newbies, what does FIRE stand for?
Old 06-09-2009, 01:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizlady View Post
So for those of us that are newbies, what does FIRE stand for?
* Acronyms and Slang Frequently Used on the Forum *