Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-29-2019, 05:25 PM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinDoctorTX View Post
Words to live by... We finally have time to get together with friends whenever we want to. One of my goals was to expand my social circle in order to include adults of all ages, so I won't end up as lonely as my Grandmother was when she died at 101. She outlived her husband, all of her friends, all of her kids but my Mom, and was past ready to meet her maker for her last several years.
Spin, I have met a few 100+ year olds and all of them have outlived family and friends. It happens a lot.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2019, 05:48 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick12 View Post
Maybe related to Suzie Orman preaching - work until you are 70..
I went to the Las Vegas money show a few years ago and one of the famous ladies there who wrote books about how others should invest and prepare had apparently undergone some personal problems from the comments she made at the "pulpit". I got the distinct impression of bitterness that the planned financial life partner had made an exit suddenly and a long lived frail parent costs were impacting her (the daughter) drastically with things like long term care .

If I got clobbered with these things I might also recommend a huge nest egg not to impoverish my kids if I required care and had no partner to lean on. Really don't remember who the speaker was and mean no disrespect to her and my impressions may not have been correct.

Recently heard a talk about age bands and help required and they had rules of thumb.

Was suggested in 80s many need some help and some cognitive slowing by 90's lots of help.. Your mileage may vary : )

Ready-4-ER-at-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 05:52 PM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

may Keven O'Leary drop dead in a dole queue

unemployed because he was replaced by someone who didn't want to continue working and was fully capable of self-funding a gypsy life-style .

FIRE is helping keeping the jobless lines small .

work at what you love , sure ... if you can get that job

hate your job ( and co-workers ) that is a recipe for trouble

You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.

Samuel Levenson
Oz investor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 01:46 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hey, he's Mr. Wonderful isn't he?

Nuf said.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 06:02 AM   #65
Dryer sheet aficionado

For every Kevin O, there are a hundred people who DON'T love the job, the challenge, the travel, the stress, the lack of personal time, etc. I'm happy to be in that second group.
Old 04-01-2019, 04:38 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Spin, I have met a few 100+ year olds and all of them have outlived family and friends. It happens a lot.
aja, I know. My great GM lived to 101 also, and my mom is 82 now and going strong. I stay active like she does, so I might live for quite some time.