Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Layoffs at IBM
Old 05-10-2005, 01:29 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The layoffs I reported are all in the US and no info on the packages. The people were given 30 days to find another position within IBM or they get the package. All were band 7-9 and Information Analysts or Team leader positions as far as I know.

Since I don't know any of the people very well, I really didn't want to call and ask what the package was. There might have been higher on my account since we have GR percentages to meet, mandates from the customer. Or maybe it wasn't related to the announcement, and they took this opportunity to lower the US percentage thus increasing the GR percentage. Who knows....

I'm sorry I didn't get the offer. I'm thinking of quitting soon even though I start working 3 days a week next week.

KB is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2005, 04:46 AM   #22

Th

I thought I was the only one who dipped into the fishbowl. Did you get <those looks>? Like you were committing adultry HA! Its a frickin biz card in a bowl. Corporate confidentiality requires that business travellers keep a low profile, but a free burger is a free burger! That tickles some old brain cells.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:30 AM   #23

I confess I did both, i.e. I always dropped my card in the bowl
and frequently mined the bowl for possible customers.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 11:55 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Better...I got caught by the hostess once, who was mad until I explained what I was doing. Dated her for almost 7 months. She fished the bowl for me after that. Saved me a lot of time and a lot of cholesterol.

Anyone else "caught" me, I'd just smile at them and nod, and continue about my business.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 06:37 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by th
Better...I got caught by the hostess once, who was mad until I explained what I was doing. Dated her for almost 7 months. She fished the bowl for me after that.

As dey say in da bronx, "Oh you c-man!"
Old 05-27-2005, 06:17 AM   #26

Some long faces locally. Many IBM'ers are being furloughed over the fourth of July week. If you have vacation time, and take it, you get paid. If not... no pay

BUM
Old 05-27-2005, 12:56 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Excuse my ignorance, but what does it mean to be furloughed at IBM? Do you mean to say that regular employees must take time off without pay due to lack of work, etc.? Or is this "just" for contractors? I'd think contractors wouldn't get paid time off for holidays anyway...

I'm confused, but this surely doesn't look good no matter what.

On the other hand, if the choice is lose your holiday pay or lose your job...

Thanks for any additional info,
Caroline
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 01:59 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

woo hoo, my first post... well, here anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline
Excuse my ignorance, but what does it mean to be furloughed at IBM? Do you mean to say that regular employees must take time off without pay due to lack of work, etc.? Or is this "just" for contractors? I'd think contractors wouldn't get paid time off for holidays anyway...
As far as I know, it generally affects people involved in manufacturing type work. There is still some left. This is an old description of it from "Alliance@IBM". I'm not a big fan of them either.

http://www.allianceibm.org/articles/furlough.htm
moghopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 02:05 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks, moghopper, and welcome!

Caroline
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 02:27 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

I worked for CSC, (stands for collection of sh*tty companies) and they put us on furlough. Basically, the accounting laws were counting the vacation on the books as a liability to the company, so to look better they forced us to take two weeks vacation. If you didn't have two weeks, they let you "borrow" time and pay them back.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 12:03 PM   #31
Confused about dryer sheets

I just found this forum today, I am an IBMer in Global Services I know 3 in the MHV and 2 else that were affected by the lay offs that were anounced in early May, one was only here for a few years and wasn't too bright, 3 were close to retirement, not sure what they are going to now. Anyway there were more today, don't know any details yet other then my department wasn't affect.

Bob
hvBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 11:06 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

I wish I could get laid off from IBM now.
Old 02-18-2007, 06:06 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickj
Are they offering a generous severance package. I know Boston Scientific gives 1.5 months of pay per year of service, 2 years of bonus plus medical benefits.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:31 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I wouldn't worry; I'm sure they'll be another layoff coming soon. IBM in Austin just had a substantial layoff back in September. This was in the processor design group, once thought to be an untouchable area.

But my question is, why not just leave? Is it the severance package?
CompoundInterestFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 10:52 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't really want to leave to do the same thing somewhere else, I would rather have the severance and be forced to find something completely different.
Old 02-20-2007, 08:06 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Don't really want to leave to do the same thing somewhere else, I would rather have the severance and be forced to find something completely different.
My sentiment exactly...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:37 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan

Left in 1992 with a golden handshake. Went into consulting then CEO of a couple of tech companies. Finally retired in 2002. Learned more in the last 10 years than in the previous 10.

Don't hurry. Your time will come.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:42 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Are you really sure you want to wait around for that? What if it never happens?

BTW, do you have an idea of what you'd like to go into?
Old 02-20-2007, 10:59 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't really think that it will (layoffs) happen. I don't really want to wait around even if it would. More just a fantasy.

I wish that I had a passion for some type of work, but I don't that I know of.

If I were to leave, I think I would have to go back to school. That doesn't really appeal to me unless I can find something there that I really want to study.

Also I have a family, so I don't really want to make them suffer if we had to downgrade our lifestyle or move etc. so that I could go back to school.

Anyone have any ideas of a good career with a low barrier of entry :-)
Old 02-20-2007, 11:47 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I wish that I had a passion for some type of work, but I don't that I know of.
I know what you're saying. I went through something similar a few years ago. I left Megacorp voluntarily and took some time off, did some traveling with my girlfriend (now my wife), and during that time I racked my brains trying to figure out what my "calling" was. After much soul-searching (including dilligently going through "What Color is Your Parachute?"), I discovered that there really wasn't anything that I wanted to do that would qualify as work. The bottom line is, if I didn't have to work, I wouldn't. That doesn't mean that I would sit on the couch all day and watch TV, but I wouldn't do anything that resembles what I'm doing now. I'd do some traveling, some rock climbing, some surfing, maybe write a little, and after I got tired of that, I'd probably do some volunteer work. But nothing that's nearly as stressful as what I'm doing now.

However, as strange as this may sound, simply coming to that realization made me appreciate my job that much more (I'm a computer engineer). I get paid very well, I get to work on interesting problems, I'm pretty much always learning, I work with (mostly) intelligent professionals, and I don't have to punch a clock. The people around me trust me to get my job done. Sure, the hours can be hell sometimes, but since I've taken that break, I've gotten much better about respecting my limits. Even though I'm full time, I treat the job as a contracting gig, b/c you never know when layoffs are coming in this field.

I know some people who live to work, and I respect the fact that they've always known what they've wanted to do and enjoying doing it. But I've realized I'm a "work to live" person.

Quote:
Anyone have any ideas of a good career with a low barrier of entry :-)
Yeah, that's a tough one. It sounds like you're open to a wide range of possibilities. As corny as it may be, "What Color Is Your Parachute?" may actually help you narrow down your interests into things that really appeal to you. Like I said, it didn't lead me to any particular profession, but it really made clear what my strengths and weaknesses are. And I realized that my current field is one of the best in which I can utilize my strengths.