Join Early Retirement Today
Leave or Stay?
Old 06-18-2005, 10:22 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
Leave or Stay?

Currently have a decent paying job....although getting bored.* *

For those that have left good companies, can you share learnings on:

*Did you leave too soon or to early?
*How long was the grass "greener" on the other side?
*Did you experience the 10-20% increase in pay?

I plan to work on my resume this w/e...any tidbits here I'd appreciate as well.* I haven't done this since grad school!* *

P.S. Batman Begins----good beginning....lingers on afterwards in my opinion. 5.75/10

Tommy_Dolitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Leave or Stay?
Old 06-18-2005, 11:22 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Every time I have jumped, it been a 25% or greater bump. I usually stick around until I am really sick of it, so I tend to wait too long. The grass stays green for 1 to 3 years, usually.

I recently switched jobs and as usual, climbing the learning curve is a challenge. OTOH, my base here is bigger than total comp at the last place, and bonus can be a multiple of base in really good years.

"Neither my companion or I carry firearms on our persons. We depend on the goodwill of our fellow man and the forbearance of reptiles."

- English Bob
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 12:39 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I wouldnt leave a job unless I hated it for less than 20-25%

The grass stayed greener until I realized that I just accepted the same pile o' crap I had at the last job, only with different names and faces.

Size of the company was irrelevant. I worked for one 10 person company that had the worst politics and horsepuckey I've ever seen. Two companies north of $20B had the least.

I think you know when its time to go. If you dont leave until a long time after that, its too late. If you jump at some little thing without having a strong motivating reason, its too early.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote