Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-26-2011, 12:50 AM   #101
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Man View Post
I also left a high cost of living state.

I was in California and left for Texas in 2003. Best financial ever.
California and the Long Island / NYC area are comparable when it comes to cost of living from what I've read. Those expenses month to month really start to add up.
MBAVisionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2011, 01:11 AM   #102
Recycles dryer sheets

To MooreBonds:

2. I have a general feeling that particular recruiter got recognition for simply having people walk through the door regardless of whether they were qualified. Clearly if he looked at my resume he would've seen that I didn't have a professional background in marketing. He asked me specifically about marketing policies that I've implemented. It's been over a month since the interview and not so much as an e-mail asking what my status is or if I'm still looking. Sure I could message him back, but based on the limited number of jobs posted and the way our last conversation went, it seems like a lost cause.

3. I included a cover letter with the resume and filled out a form they required. I went into their office, said I mailed my information out to them in July. They said there's no telling what happened to it and asked me to fill out the form again. I sat down and one of the receptionists is asking what to do since all my information was already in their computer system. Lame.

I have made them very clear in my last meeting there with two people, indicating I did not want to be a bank teller again. Nor did I want to do one of those jobs that is all sales, where you get put on probation if you don't meet your numbers for a week. I have friends / ex-coworkers who have had those types of jobs and hate it. He seemed to have a difficult time finding anything that even remotely fit my criteria. His speciality is banking and he encouraged me to look at the company's websites directly, which I have and continue to do. The other woman I spoke to that day said she deals with people who have been doing clerical / administrative work for several years.

Will touch bases tomorrow to see if anything has changed with them.

Gave up too easily probably because: a) my heart isn't in banking b) the first phone call I got I was spoken to in such a condescending way I didn't feel like arguing. It is my tendency to diffuse conflict by just ignoring it. I've seen the part-time and full-time teller jobs paying 11-13/hr. I'm exploring every other option than to do that again. I spent 40k+ on college not to work a job that leaves me at the poverty line...A decade doing jobs that involved almost no brain power and so much repetition I could do it with one eye open. No more.

During that time period I applied to 20 other positions. If one person or company brushes me off I go onto the next one. I am clear about what I want. When I see something that fits the criteria, I apply for it. It's 2:30am now and I'm still looking. That's how serious I am about my job search.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:46 AM   #103
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Texas View Post
Yup. The highlight of the weekend is going to Amarillo. Some of you young 'uns (and non-Texicans) may not remember the tornado that went through Lubbock in about 1969. It left an imprint on one of the tall bank buildings.
Yes, the tower/building was "twisted" and they thought they were going to have to tear it down, but didn't.

Left there late '67 (military) and volunteered for Nam (long story) rather than stay there. That tells you how much I hated it .
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:50 AM   #104
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Yes, the tower/building was "twisted" and they thought they were going to have to tear it down, but didn't.

Left there late '67 (military) and volunteered for Nam (long story) rather than stay there. That tells you how much I hated it .
You volunteered? Wow, that says a lot! I drove through a couple areas that looked frozen in time. I enjoy driving through open spaces. Visited Cresson Ranch a few weeks ago for a motocross event. Open land as far the eye can see.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:58 AM   #105
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAVisionary View Post
You volunteered? Wow, that says a lot!
Just take the first hour of the movie "Born on the 4th of July" and you will understand the era I grew up in (both father and future FIL - he served in the "Bulge") had a different view of the situation at the time. Ron Kovic/me shared the same image - before and after our respective "service" to our country.

I learned the truth, after I arrived in-country, but that's another story (not to be discussed in this forum)...
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 12:45 PM   #106
Recycles dryer sheets

The important piece for me to remember is that actions speak volumes. Whether I'm digging up a lead, doing research on a company before I apply and the daily job search. It all is on me to take the initiative to get the process going. A hope and pray mentality only does so much. Emotions typically get in the way of clarity. Successful people keep on trying even with rejection.

Last but not least thanks to all those who have commented. I honestly do appreciate it, even if we disagree. I hope none of my comments / responses were taken the wrong way.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:52 PM   #107
gone traveling

I mean best financial move ever.

Both coasts are expensive except Gulf Coast.

Quote:
California and the Long Island / NYC area are comparable when it comes to cost of living from what I've read. Those expenses month to month really start to add up.
ER Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 07:49 PM   #108
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Last but not least thanks to all those who have commented. I honestly do appreciate it, even if we disagree. I hope none of my comments / responses were taken the wrong way.
I was actually afraid that I was coming across a little sternly...I realize that you only use one or two sentences to describe different situations that could have pages written to fully detail them, and it's difficult to convey it in such a short summary. I just don't want you to go through all the efforts of digging up all these apparently halfway promising leads and then just not feel up to following through all the way to the absolute dead end.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:13 AM   #109

Another one who grew up in Huntington, Moved to Peru and not a day goes by that i do not think about Little Vincents (Village Pizza for you old folks)or a Gyro at the Mediterranean Snack bar.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:36 AM   #110
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
Another one who grew up in Huntington, Moved to Peru and not a day goes by that i do not think about Little Vincents (Village Pizza for you old folks)or a Gyro at the Mediterranean Snack bar.
Little Vincents is great if you're up late and need a bite. I don't eat pizza though and thought it tasted like cardboard, so that might be why I wasn't a huge fan. :P MSB rocks. So close to where I lived and everything was made fresh.

I'm guessing they don't have good pizza in Peru? :P
Old 09-28-2011, 08:24 PM   #111
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooreBonds View Post
I was actually afraid that I was coming across a little sternly...I realize that you only use one or two sentences to describe different situations that could have pages written to fully detail them, and it's difficult to convey it in such a short summary. I just don't want you to go through all the efforts of digging up all these apparently halfway promising leads and then just not feel up to following through all the way to the absolute dead end.
I appreciate the concern. I actually didn't go through a whole lot of effort to find that lead, two clicks on craigslist. Sometimes I've found it to be intentionally vague, at least on a semi-public forum such as this.

I am turning a negative into a positive though, have a couple more leads that are of higher quality. People who work at companies in the area and might be able to get me an "in". Applied to 10 positions in the last 10 days, bringing my number up to 54 total. Also gotten some rejections. I take it for what it is. What's meant to be will be.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:09 AM   #112

Recruiters and temp agencies don't find jobs for people, they find people for jobs.

I felt most of the ones I interviewed with were just adding to their resume banks without a specific real job in mind for me. However a select few seemed to have appropriate jobs and even got me one or more interviews. I tried to stick with those types when I found them.

I keep hearing it's much easier to get a job if you're already employed. In 2001 after looking for months I dumbed down my resume and applied for a retail job and held it for 5 months before getting back into my field. I wasn't getting ahead, but I was treading water financially.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:34 PM   #113
Recycles dryer sheets

BigMoneyJim, thanks for the comment. Yeah I'm learning that it's every man for himself in the career world. Can't depend on anyone else other than yourself to get in the door and get promoted when the proper time comes.

They say it is much easier to get a job when you're already employed. The exception, or at least what I like to believe the primary exception would be if you have relocated to a new area. My experiences over the next months will tell me whether this is really true.

Up to 75 jobs I've applied to so far and I keep on going. Can't stop now, I'm almost at the finish line!
Old 10-09-2011, 04:42 PM   #114
Full time employment: Posting here.

Are you tied to Austin or can you move to San Antonio?
East Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:52 PM   #115
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Texas View Post
Are you tied to Austin or can you move to San Antonio?
Tied to Dallas right now. Lease, bf / his job and friends here. There are plenty of opportunities in the area, I see thousands of job postings (Find jobs in Texas | Indeed.com). Really trying to find the right fit.

By right fit I mean not working at a supermarket cashier or other type of non-thinking job that would've been okay five years ago but now would be a very destructive career move.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:45 AM   #116
Recycles dryer sheets

Update: Up to 102 jobs I've applied for, been on 3 interviews in the last two weeks. One was with a CEO who later told me they got a lot of candidates for the position and it was difficult to make a decision, but I would be considered for other positions that may open up, etc. The other I met with two VPs and a Manager. Spent about 4 hours interviewing in total. Crossing my fingers, but still actively looking.

Got $50 back from my Citicard thank you points and $75 is coming to me from FatWallet's cashback program with our AT&T U-Verse contract. I'm doing the Income-Based Repayment program with my Sallie Mae student loans. Apparently I now fall under the following category:

"If your reduced payment under IBR does not cover the interest on your loans, the government will pay that interest on your Subsidized Stafford Loans during your first three years in IBR. After three years, and for all other loan types, the interest will accrue but not compound. That means it will be added to your principal, but interest will continue to accrue only on the original principal amount."

My car will be paid off in 2 months and my required student loan payment looks like it will be 0 for the next 12 months.

Partner is getting a raise at his company which helps out, though I still am not trying to take advantage. At this rate he probably will be able to retire at 50 or earlier if he chooses to.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:37 PM   #117
Recycles dryer sheets

Hey guys and gals! Just wanted to give you a quick update...
I have a job now and will be starting next month! Really came down to the wire. Kind of a long story...

Almost got a position paying 30/hr (60k/yr), but the company couldn't guarantee a start date for me. Went on 3 interviews, met 5 employees there, know two other people who work there personally and spoke to 3 different recruiters. After all this, they still weren't able to give me a start date. Ultimately, I had to make the decision to move onward

Starting salary is 35k (equivalent to 67k where I was on Long Island) but there is definitely room to learn / grow and I really consider this the start of working in a new industry. Been in banking for 6 years on and off with little growth to show for it. Definitely thinking more strategically this time around.

As for my personal finances...
1. Have 2500 in credit card debt to pay off, may do a 0% card so the interest doesn't keep racking up. My debt to credit ratio is still relatively low, I have about 14k of total available credit. Finance charges are about 25-30/month.
2. Car is paid off in full.
3. I have almost 0 in savings for all practical purposes.

Still a work in progress, but at least the boat isn't sinking anymore.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:46 PM   #118
Administrator

Congratulations on the new job. Seems like things are really looking up for you.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:16 PM   #119
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thank goodness for good news! I'm glad everything (finally) worked out. Best of luck.
East Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:26 PM   #120
Administrator

Congratulations.

Welcome to Texas.