Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-21-2015, 12:08 AM   #161
Recycles dryer sheets

On the TV side. I will give Verizon a call tomorrow. I probably turn the tv on once a week if that. Apparently they don't have a customer retention department anymore. Looks like the two options for my complex are Verizon or U-Verse. U-Verse is more expensive with a slower plan and they charge extra for the wi-fi router.

I was stressed out for a while at work and ate daily at our cafeteria. Very easy to spend 10 bucks a day there. So $50/week * 4 weeks = $200. That's not including groceries or eating out.

My vacation has sucked, I didn't see any friends, have mostly been in the apartment by myself and father's day is tomorrow. One of my younger friends who makes over double what I do is vacationing in Florida with his bf and not long ago he was in Europe for work. He just bought brand new sports car and his bonus is more than what make in a whole year.

I have broken down a few times and made frivolous purchases to help fill a void. Maybe the car was one of them. I've tried to make friends in my 4 years here but not much luck. I try not to drink / eat out for health reasons and most of them are the opposite. My ex would go out 4 times a week and likes to drink...

Done meetup groups, made postings on craigslist, went to a bike rally thinking I'd find someone to talk to, tried to go to a bowling event by myself before anxiety kicked in. No one other than the guys I dated briefly have come to my apartment and I've been here 6 months. In some way I justified spending money I didn't have to on dates because I at least got some kind of attention. As far as friends, almost all of them earn more than I do by 50-100% or have a multi-income household so even if we do find a common ground place I take a bigger hit financially.

2 years ago my student loan was $39k now it's $17k. If I paid the minimum the loan would be closer to $30k but I'd have a lot more in savings. I now see how it's an absolute must to have a buffer.

As far as my current earnings. That's only been the case for the last 2 years. For 2012 I grossed ~$29k/yr. Half of 2011 with my move I had 0 income and only grossed about 14k for the year. Half of 2009 / 2010 I lacked ambition & worked a misleading part-time job before depleting 10k of savings to live then got a full time job making my total gross in 2010 about $17k and in 2009 I was jobless for 2 months before going into the pt time gig where I never made more than $500/mo. In 2008 I bought the car that I sold last year. So yeah I've been all over the place. I take full responsibility for my actions, no one forced me to quit a job after I emotionally felt broken and defeated...or work for a cheap multimillionaire CEO when I knew my talents / value wasn't being recognized. That was all my doing.

Raises / promotions are a possibility. I'm still trying to move up. Without going into too many details I'm at the lower end of the pay band for my position and have been doing the job of two people for a while. It's been a bit frustrating but I need to become vested while also eliminating these gaps on my resume. Over the long term I don't know if I can reach the level needed in this field to hit my earnings goals. A lot of what they've learned is from experience but the only way for me to get experience is to reach out to other people. However when I'm fighting to stay above water each day and they're bombarded with meetings...time for secondary projects isn't easy.

In closing. Yes I can and will do better. Comparing myself to others is kind of depressing so I try to avoid that when possible. I don't necessarily see everything that was involved to help get there where they are today. Not sure if I could personally handle their 60+ hour weeks. At that point I'd feel like a slave to a job. So I'm going to compare myself to where I was a day, week, month, year ago to see where I'm trending. I really do appreciate everyone's advice here. I don't post much because it seems like I'm so far behind. I want my results / actions to count more than what I type here.

Can't change the past but I have control over my present and future.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2015, 12:45 AM   #162
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I cannot believe that your FICO is so high.... higher than mine and I can guarantee I have more money and more income...

But, I do have a car note and a house note.... but low interest so do not want to pay them off....

As for comparing yourself to others that go out all the time, go to Europe etc. etc... that is a fools game... if you do not have their education, their salary etc. etc. there is no way you can keep up with them... it sounds like you wish you could and are getting depressed because of it... which leads you into making bad decisions....

The first thing you have to do is be happy with YOURSELF... it can be hard to do, but if you are not..... nothing in life will go well.... good luck...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 06:49 AM   #163
Give me a forum ...

Wow, some of the last few posters are really dishing out the "tough love". You could change a few things but you are trying and thinking about where to go next. Given the example of your parents and the fact you are a young single guy, I think you are making a real effort.

Check your expenses for some places to cut back, don't make any extra payments on your student loans, put that money into an emergency fund. Get some clarity about what you spend on cars and you will keep making strides in the right direction. Also, don't think you have to make so many excuses for your past actions, just try to learn from them so you don't repeat them. Good Luck
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:02 AM   #164
Give me a forum ...

I know the OP said 'tough love'... but I do not see it that way... I see it as a different perspective that I assume nobody he knows is telling him...

He asked for opinions and I gave mine... he can take it or leave it as I have no skin in the game... nothing personal on whatever decision he makes...

I do find it fascinating what some people say is normal.... from the court shows that I watch at time it does seem like an expensive phone plan with an Apple is 'required'... I saw one the other day where the person had to borrow $50 to start their plan and the monthly bill approached $500... for two phones... and these are POOR people... then was surprised that their friend did not pay their share....
Old 06-21-2015, 07:54 PM   #165
Recycles dryer sheets

I may have mis-estimated my earnings history for the last few years. Here is a more accurate summary:

2014 $55,334
2013 $48,247
2012 $29,685
2011 $15,528
2010 $17,615
2009 $29,884
2008 $35,799
2007 $29,129
2006 $25,550
2005 $18,450
2004 $14,614
2003 $11,439
2002 $12,923
2001 $6,365
2000 $7,297
1999 $1,924

I was in HS from 99-01, full time college student from 01-05 and in grad school from 05-07.

Update - I called Verizon and would have to pay a $180 early termination fee as my contract is in effect until December 14, 2016. Downgrading to internet only 50/50 would be 84.99, 25/25 would be 74.99. So getting rid of TV and doing internet-only would only save me like $5-10 per month. Actually more once you roll in taxes / miscellaneous fees. I didn't feel like arguing with them on the phone.

Thought about moving to a 3g/4g service like Clear. A friend used it for a month years ago and returned it due to extremely poor service. Yelpers agree, it sucks.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:11 PM   #166
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I know the OP said 'tough love'... but I do not see it that way... I see it as a different perspective that I assume nobody he knows is telling him...

He asked for opinions and I gave mine... he can take it or leave it as I have no skin in the game... nothing personal on whatever decision he makes...

I do find it fascinating what some people say is normal.... from the court shows that I watch at time it does seem like an expensive phone plan with an Apple is 'required'... I saw one the other day where the person had to borrow $50 to start their plan and the monthly bill approached $500... for two phones... and these are POOR people... then was surprised that their friend did not pay their share....
I agree with you on what is normal in this country. I'm sure some people making near minimum wage are going working and borrowing money just to have the latest phone. Not thinking long-term about their career or other aspects of life. $500/mo for a phone I'd do a $20 prepaid before I did that. I cosigned a phone for someone in 07 that was $500 and he was working as a cashier. Couldn't afford a car. Dating-wise he would go out with friends and never invite me anywhere. He said the phone was a gift to him and wouldn't give it back. I cut ties to him after that and fortunately only had to pay back a portion to the phone co.

My friend with a ton of credit card debt. He borrowed close to $30k on a car at close to 10% interest because of his credit. Then proceeded to drive almost 15k miles in 6 months. The car was worth about 10k less than he paid for it when he asked about turning it in. He moved closer to work, gave up his $1k+ luxury 2br apt to live in a room but still has the expensive car.

My takeaway is putting things into perspective. Many non ER folks don't think about the long term impact of their financial decision. They think short-term and falsely attach happiness to material things or experiences that often go on credit. Then time passes, the bill is still there and the item / experience that once brought joy is now a burden.

One of the things I overheard MMM speak about is studying happiness to help break the attachment with consumerism. He's spot on.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:52 PM   #167
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAVisionary View Post
I may have mis-estimated my earnings history for the last few years. Here is a more accurate summary:

2014 $55,334
2013 $48,247
2012 $29,685
2011 $15,528
2010 $17,615
2009 $29,884
2008 $35,799
2007 $29,129
2006 $25,550
2005 $18,450
2004 $14,614
2003 $11,439
2002 $12,923
2001 $6,365
2000 $7,297
1999 $1,924

I was in HS from 99-01, full time college student from 01-05 and in grad school from 05-07.

Update - I called Verizon and would have to pay a $180 early termination fee as my contract is in effect until December 14, 2016. Downgrading to internet only 50/50 would be 84.99, 25/25 would be 74.99. So getting rid of TV and doing internet-only would only save me like $5-10 per month. Actually more once you roll in taxes / miscellaneous fees. I didn't feel like arguing with them on the phone.

Thought about moving to a 3g/4g service like Clear. A friend used it for a month years ago and returned it due to extremely poor service. Yelpers agree, it sucks.
Well, it looks like you are now going in the right direction salary wise..... good for you...

Yep, it does not make sense to downgrade for $10 per month... internet is expensive in the US for some reason (well, I know... due to monopolies)... in Europe it is much cheaper... so are cell phones... I think we are moving in the right direction on cell phones but not internet...

Just another suggestion.... never put anybody on any kind of plan with monthly payments unless you can cancel at any time without a fee.. it is surprising how good some people are at getting people to do things for them... they will promise any and everything if you just do this for me.... but they have zero intention of doing so... they just move on to the next mark... It sounds like you have been learning some of these lessons as you age... most people go through this learning process...
Old 02-17-2018, 10:12 PM   #168
Recycles dryer sheets

It's been a while, but wanted to give you guys a few updates...
2016: Not justifying it, but I traded in my 2014 MY car for a more powerful one, setting me back $32k. Paid Off $47k in Student Loans, payments were about $60k once interest was added in.
2016/7: Incurred almost $8k in medical debt, an unpreventable ER visit in 2016, a followup visit for surgery in 2017. Due to the nature of the condition, left untreated it easily could have killed me. That debt went on credit card at 0%.
2017: Got a promotion, $5k bump in salary to $67k/yr
2018: January - Paid off all medical debt. February - Paid off iPhone 7+. Got a new job with a salary of $80-90k.

401k is currently at $35k. In the process of rolling it over. Company match won't kick in until 5 months from now. 3% at 100%, then 50% match up to an additional 3%. It's going into a Fidelity account 95% FSKTX at a .03% expense ratio, 5% in BlackRock US Debt Index Non-Lendable Fund Class F at a .03% ratio. Short term I'm only putting in 6%.

Need some advice from someone wiser. My 1br rent is $848/mo and comes up for renewal in June. Considered moving to a nicer place, one closer to work (currently have a 30-40min commute), but 13% of my gross is sort of a steal. Currently owe $20k on the car at 1.9%, that is my only debt right now. I'm not sure what order to do things. I could pay the car off in 9 months, max out my Roth IRA for 2017/8, max out my 401k for 2018 and reduce my taxable income. There is a definite possibility of moving in the next 2-3 years, plus I'm single so real estate likely won't be a short term play.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:17 AM   #169
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sounds like you are doing quite well, MBA.

Here's how I would tackle it. Calculate your year-by-year cash flow and net worth over the next five years. Optimize for the maximum net worth in year 5.

The expenses can be at a high level, maybe 10 categories. These would include your required living expenses: housing, food and other household basics, vehicle operating costs, taxes, health insurance, etc. You will also need a line to account for your all-in vehicle capital costs, which can be variations of a cash purchase, monthly P&I payments, savings for the next vehicle purchase and depreciation.

Once you have a good handle on that, subtract the bottom line from your gross salary for a "free cash flow" number that you can use as the basis for part 2 of the spreadsheet, a series of what-if allocations between all of your discretionary spending. This would include travel & entertainment, and the variety of investment options you have laid out: cash savings, 401k, Roth, early payment of debt. For the 401k, you'll have two components - your contribution and a credit entry against the tax bill. (The match doesn't affect your cash flow; it flows directly to the next page of the spreadsheets.)

The investments you make will cascade down to part 3, your balance sheet with net worth totals by year.

Keep it simple to start. Version One doesn't need to have complicated projections on salary changes, inflation or investment returns.
No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 01:10 PM   #170
Give me a forum ...

You still need to come to grips with your car spending...if you keep swapping out your vehicles like that, you are going to have an uphill climb.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:10 PM   #171
Give me a forum ...

The commute is not bad compared to many...

But, how much would it cost you to move closer? Is the new place in a nicer neighborhood?

Also, do you drive the whole way or take some form of public transit?

I know that here there are closer places to downtown, but there is a good amount of RE between where I am now and downtown that is much worse than here... and getting really close is at a much higher cost... I had about 50 to 60 minute commute and lived with it for years... no good alternatives..
Old 02-19-2018, 06:06 PM   #172

Welcome back MBAVisionary. Congrats on paying off the student loans.
Maybe stay put for one more year and pay the car off. That way you free up some cash for a nicer apartment.
jfn111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:20 PM   #173
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
You still need to come to grips with your car spending...if you keep swapping out your vehicles like that, you are going to have an uphill climb.
Couldn't agree with this statement more. The car I had a 2014 Nissan Altima was sort of known for transmission problems that I found out after I bought it. The warranty on the 2008 was extended to 10 years/120k miles.

Examples:
1.https://www.carcomplaints.com/Nissan..._failure.shtml
2. Nissan Altima Transmission Problems | Nissan CVT Transmission Recall
3. https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...-lawsuit.shtml that's with a similar transmission used in the Sentra.

The 2016 Maxima uses a slightly different design with a chain as opposed to a series of steel bands and metal links. Over time it has proven to be more reliable. I'm still on the fence about getting an extended warranty. It's about $3k, but a new one would be about $5k with parts and labor. Maybe my intelligence is lacking for getting another car with a CVT that doesn't have the best track record. Then again I had my 2008 for 7 years with only one minor transmission issue. Kind of a crapshoot.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:26 PM   #174
Recycles dryer sheets

<mod edit>

I've been in Texas since 2011. Yeah I've become more conservative as I get older. You'd think a gay, black mixed race guy from New York would be super liberal. I am with certain things, but still like people to pull their weight when possible. It's a good city overall. Not perfect but the job opportunities, lack of state income tax, relative low cost of living, warm climate, central location in the US still make it a good choice. The pensions were mismanaged, education system is in disarray, plus police department has big recruiting problems, along with the city growing faster than they can build. Pros and cons right?
Old 02-19-2018, 07:31 PM   #175
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfn111 View Post
Welcome back MBAVisionary. Congrats on paying off the student loans.
Maybe stay put for one more year and pay the car off. That way you free up some cash for a nicer apartment.
Thanks for the welcome back. Yeah I might just renew. Would like a decent cushion in case an emergency pops up. Murphy's Law... I have never had more than $5k liquid at any point since 2009. It's gone almost entirely toward debt. Can't take back the past but that's really my biggest regret. I've been hyper focused on paying along with adding debt and didn't think too much about where I'd be in a pinch.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:53 PM   #176
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAVisionary View Post
Couldn't agree with this statement more. The car I had a 2014 Nissan Altima was sort of known for transmission problems that I found out after I bought it. The warranty on the 2008 was extended to 10 years/120k miles.

Examples:
1.https://www.carcomplaints.com/Nissan..._failure.shtml
2. Nissan Altima Transmission Problems | Nissan CVT Transmission Recall
3. https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...-lawsuit.shtml that's with a similar transmission used in the Sentra.

The 2016 Maxima uses a slightly different design with a chain as opposed to a series of steel bands and metal links. Over time it has proven to be more reliable. I'm still on the fence about getting an extended warranty. It's about $3k, but a new one would be about $5k with parts and labor. Maybe my intelligence is lacking for getting another car with a CVT that doesn't have the best track record. Then again I had my 2008 for 7 years with only one minor transmission issue. Kind of a crapshoot.
LOL..I'm driving a 13 Altima that I never had a minutes problem with..Maxima is a big step up from that model...that's a lot of car ...
Old 02-19-2018, 07:57 PM   #177
Full time employment: Posting here.

<mod edit>

Too many times people move to an area they love, and to flee the mess where they live. Then they vote in the same policies and people as the place they left, thus turning the new place into the old.

I am hoping to move within 5 years an Texas is one of the places I am considering. Time to move to a place with better weather.
SheitlQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:39 PM   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheitlQueen View Post
<mod edit> Too many times people move to an area they love, and to flee the mess where they live. Then they vote in the same policies and people as the place they left, thus turning the new place into the old.
There is so much truth in it, it is frighting.

People move to the country side, and complain about the cow manure or gun fire in the woods.

People move from high tax states to low tax states, and complain about the lack of services.

and so on.

It's a natural thing - it is hard to leave behind the things that you thought were 'good', and to want them in the place you've gone. It is not so easy to remember WHY you wanted to leave.
copyright1997reloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:56 PM   #179
Recycles dryer sheets

Htown Harry it's been a long day, but I started doing a few scenarios. Needs work. I think from a net worth perspective nothing is going to beat maxing out retirement accounts. Just need to quantify it and finish my calculations.
Attached Images
File Type: png worksheetdraft.png (653.7 KB, 24 views)
Old 02-19-2018, 09:20 PM   #180
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
LOL..I'm driving a 13 Altima that I never had a minutes problem with..Maxima is a big step up from that model...that's a lot of car ...
My biggest thing really and this is going to sound really superficial. Is that I see the same damn car every freaking where. Either the current design of one of the last 2 before. Not a day goes by when I don't see like 100 of them. I do hope that over time they become easier to repair. Seems like most shops won't even touch a CVT. Either a rebuilt, or new one, not swap out a defective part within. Going to do my fluid flushes and pray. Every make / model has its issues whether it's an Mercedes S-Class, Lexus LS 460, Cadillac CTS-V, Honda Civic. Toyota dashboards melting / cracking, which has never happened with my unreliable Oldsmobile or Nissan models. lol

Speaking of the Civic, my friend has a used 2016 and it wouldn't' respond to either key fob, the door wouldn't unlock and the battery wasn't dead. It was parked in his garage. He had to get a locksmith to jimmy the door enough to hit the unlock button on the panel. It's a known issue, but Honda has no fix. Never happened again. Weird stuff.

I had a used 03 Maxima in 2005, the Altima was great on gas but I never liked a 4 cylinder car. The car made it almost 200k miles before it got totaled. To be crystal clear I traded this car in at 80k miles, my butt only got like $6k for it from a tradein. Royally screwed by the dealer all for that new car feel / smell / bs that goes away after a year. So it basically at 15k miles / yr lasted 8 more years...

That could've been my ticket to earlier retirement. Instead I bought 3 new cars over the next 11 years. Including my current car some napkin math suggests $54k will be spent in on vehicle purchases accounting for trade in value. Found the vin on Google at a junkyard... I swore the transmission was going to go out on it too. Maybe I need to just take a chill pill, maintain my car and lose the fear of catastrophic failure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maximatotalledinfo copy1.jpg (63.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 840213316-6L.jpg (48.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 561938036_03c4219582_o.jpg (640.4 KB, 19 views)