Join Early Retirement Today

Lessons Learned from Urban Meyer
Old 12-09-2010, 06:37 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Lessons Learned from Urban Meyer

Urban Meyer stepping down at Florida Gators - ESPN

Quote:
I've not seen my two girls play high school sports. They're both very talented Division I-A volleyball players, so I missed those four years. I missed two already with one away at college. I can't get that time back.
Here is how I am reading this:
-You can have what others view as a dream j*b and still have more important things
-You can love your j*b and still have more important things
-Maximizing your payout may not be aligned with your goals in life
-There are still some people in this world who value family.

Quote:
At the end of the day, I'm very convinced that you're going to be judged on how you are as a husband and as a father and not on how many bowl games we won.
Lazy? Selfish?

Regardless, my hat is off to you Monsieur Meyer.
ronocnikral is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2010, 06:49 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

He has also made a ton of money so he can now step away and be a full time family man. That helps.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:50 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronocnikral View Post

-You can have what others view as a dream j*b and still have more important things

Lazy? Selfish?

It helps when you have made ~$50 million during your career...

Age 50, DW is 54, 1.4M split 25 Stock, 40 Mutual Funds, 25 Bonds, 5 Commodities, 5 REIT. Own Home, no debts.
Automatika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:01 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronocnikral View Post

Lazy? Selfish?

I think these are great lessons for any of us to learn. Even those who have a dream job are still w*rking and are not free.

And at how much do we value our freedom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automatika View Post
It helps when you have made ~$50 million during your career...
If it is "easy" to retire at $50,000,000, why not $40,000,000? Or $400,000? For some it might be $100,000,000. No matter how high one's trigger point, it sounds like the thought processes can be very similar.

Glad he didn't have one-more-year syndrome.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:06 AM   #5
gone traveling

Good riddance. His exorbitant compensation far outweighed his contribution to education, and the media focus on this guy exemplifies what is wrong with our higher education system in America, IMO. According to the article in USA Today yesterday, coaches at the top 120 US Universities earn an average of ~$1.3 Million/year. That's fine, if the alumni are footing the bill, not the taxpayers who have no say in the matter. I'd rather see my tax dollars go toward making higher education more affordable and funding academic programs and research that benefits successive generations. University athletic programs that do little more than churn out illiterate, narcissistic, spoiled, future felons for the NFL and NBA is not an accomplishment, but a waste of public funding.

But maybe that's just me.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:14 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Glad he didn't have one-more-year syndrome.
Actually, he sort of did. He announced a leave of absence a year ago, that he was taking the 2010 season off -- and not much longer he announced he would be back.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:17 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
According to the article in USA Today yesterday, coaches at the top 120 US Universities earn an average of ~$1.3 Million/year. That's fine, if the alumni are footing the bill, not the taxpayers who have no say in the matter.
I believe most of the big-time programs make enough money that these salaries are funded by the athletic programs themselves. In fact, in some states I believe the law prohibits use of the general fund or money from taxpayers on athletic programs.

Having said that, I hate what college football has become. It's even more cutthroat, underhanded and Darwinistic than the blatantly capitalist, for-profit NFL. Ever since the Supreme Court took control of the TV contract away from the NCAA in the 1980s and gave it to the teams and conferences, geography and traditional rivalry has mattered less than being in the right conference and TV markets -- leading to jumping ship on your conference mates, leaving them to twist in the wind and sometimes struggle to survive. It stinks. And I've said nothing about the majority of players on big-time programs not really even being interested in the education, which is really a shame given that a lot of bright kids who want the education either can't get in or can't afford it because some jock with a 900 SAT is given a free ride.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:20 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Urban is a frequent topic of conversation in these parts. My take is that he does not do well with severe stress (not many do, given that type of career) and is emotionally drained. How much is just needing to get out of it for his own mental health, versus wanting more time with family remains to be seen.

Time will tell. A new career as an 80 hour/week commentator, for example, would suggest to me that the issue was not entirely family-driven. But, hey, it's his choice all the way.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:22 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Actually, he sort of did. He announced a leave of absence a year ago, that he was taking the 2010 season off -- and not much longer he announced he would be back.
He unretired the next day! Don't be surprised if he pulls a Michael Jordan/Brett Favre in a couple of years, or months from now.
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:30 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

please excuse. i was unaware this option was only available to the uber rich.
ronocnikral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:33 AM   #11

Quote:
I believe most of the big-time programs make enough money that these salaries are funded by the athletic programs themselves. In fact, in some states I believe the law prohibits use of the general fund or money from taxpayers on athletic programs.
The Water Boy's Mamma figured it out - there's big money in the foosball.
Quote:
Having said that, I hate what college football has become. It's even more cutthroat, underhanded and Darwinistic than the blatantly capitalist, for-profit NFL.
It's why the only football I watch these days is the local high school and the Super Bowl and that's it. I don't have a clue who is the QB for the local NFL team.

Regardless how the man arrived at the decisions, I know how painful it is to come to this realization:
Quote:
I can't get that time back.
However, I do give myself credit for doing it on a lot less than $50 million and not waiting until my kids were grown.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:46 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

One of the things that amaze me is that he thinks he is out of the norm....

I have known a lot of people who worked 60 to 80 hours a week to 'make ends meet'.... they do not have a stash of money to stop....

I remember a long time ago one lady who worked a full time job where I worked and then went to another full time job after working all day... she had been doing it for two years before I heard anything about it...
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:54 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
the only football I watch these days is the local high school and the Super Bowl and that's it. I don't have a clue who is the QB for the local NFL team.
Someone who knows less about the NFL than me! That's great.

I most DEFINITELY know who Drew Brees is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brees.jpg (5.1 KB, 113 views)
File Type: gif Saints2.gif (7.6 KB, 110 views)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:12 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Who will come out of retirment in 2011 first - Urban Myer or Brett Farve?
jwkde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 01:47 PM   #15

He made the right call, but it's relatively easy to do with serious money already in the bank. It's the same scenario I've seen played out in Silicon Valley. High stress environment where many folks decide to call it quits after banking several million in options/stock. They dump most of their company's stock, rebalance, buy a house in a relaxing location (some stay in the Bay area, but move North to Marin County), and enjoy their family lives. After a few years, they start or join another business, but have the financial freedom to limit their commitment.

In Meyer's case, he seems to have a 100% commitment to whatever he puts his mind to. He has now realized that wasn't in the best interests of his family or his physical health.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote