Join Early Retirement Today

leverage techniques
Old 12-26-2006, 10:54 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

leverage techniques

Hi folks, I am a forum newbie but I have a serious question. I am interested in aquiring foreclosed properties at a low sale price and renting them out to HUD voucher recipients. The FMV rent equation is fairly high here (>1K/mo 3 & 4 Bedroom) and the housing prices depressed. My question is not about aquiring the first property, but LEVERAGE TECHNIQUES to aquire additional properties without waiting to use equity buildup with accerlarted mortgage payments.

Does anyone have any good leverage schemes with the bank to build up real estate inventory faster than waiting for existing inventory equity to mature?

Thanks much --
DollahBillYall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: leverage techniques
Old 12-26-2006, 06:38 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

this should be interesting...anyone want to take a stab at an answer(s)?
Old 12-26-2006, 08:58 PM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DollahBillYall
Does anyone have any good leverage schemes with the bank to build up real estate inventory faster than waiting for existing inventory equity to mature?
Personally, I wouldn't touch this with a 10 foot pole, but my brother has played in this arena quite a bit. Basically, what he does is look for houses that appraise for higher than the sales price -- or that he thinks will appraise a lot higher with minimal work. With the instant paper equity (appraisal minus sales price) he has collateral to leverage on the next property.

Now with that said, I think there is a LOT of risk in this. Not only do you have normal rental property risk, but you also have increased risk in the properties (hidden problems in foreclosed houses), and a substantial amount of risk in this type of tenant. I suppose the return could be nice, if things go right. (FYI, this is the kind of stuff that they promote on late night infomercials which generally make my skin crawl.)
dandan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 09:05 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

You can buy with no money down pretty easily these days, if you have a decent job and/or decent credit. If you can find houses that cash flow positive, then you could, in theory, buy pretty much an infinite number of them, right? In reality, the mortgage lenders would probably cut you off at around 10 or 12 houses, depending on your income. I have a friend who did this, he was cut off for awhile at 12 houses, even though most of them are cash flow positive. He never put more than 5% down and on many houses put nothing down.

You can definitely make money doing this. The downsides are that you will be dealing with very low income tenants and they can cause a lot of problems (crime, drugs, destruction of property). Depending on your state, you could have a tenant who knows how to work the courts and then you're looking at months with no rent, while they sit in the property. Also, almost anywhere that cash flows positive these days, with less than 10% down, is not an area that is likely to appreciate much. You have to save up all those $100 per month profits and hope they cover the cost of a new roof, new furnace, etc, over the years.

I would look at multifamily apartments and apartment complexes, they are generally easier to manage than SFHs, and more profitable over the long run.
macdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 09:06 PM   #5

So Dollah, you are looking for advice on how to get poor quick??

Honestly, you can make a lot of money this way. You can also loose everything.
With a softening housing market and the HUD designation you are really asking for trouble.
I would suggest a safer way of making money would be learning the numbers and playing blackjack for a living (which I also wouldn't recommend normally, but it is safer, imo, than what you are proposing).

In any event, good luck.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:03 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The timing on this could no possibly be worse..............I think the "education" would be very expensive.............

Wouldn't touch this with a 10-foot pole...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 05:08 PM   #7
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks all for the replies. I was surprised by the responses but they are valued. For example, I would think (it may be my naivete and that I don't know Sugar honey iced tea) that a soft housing market would be ripe for deal making, especially on foreclosures, since it is a buyers market. While I generally agree with most points made, I don't really understand the rationale for that one. Isn't this a renters market?

Thanks all -
DollahBillYall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 09:26 AM   #8

It is a great market for buyers.
It is a very poor market for selling.
The future of the real estate market is unknown, but many feel we are in for at least 2 years of a soft market.
Leveraging multiple properties with the least amount of funds available using "aggresive" loans is a disaster waiting to happen.

If you go ahead with this, I would recommend trying it out with a single property. Rent it out for a little while and see how it goes.

Remember, aggressive loans mean they make more money for the bank/mortgage company. Meaning, it costs you more.
Anything goes wrong with any one of the properties and the whole house of cards can come down. Set up your system very carefully.

Anyone remember the blog by the guy that admitted illegally obtaining multiple loans (I am not implying in any way you are planning this Dollah, it is just a great site to see how bad it can get) and then had his house of cards fall down. He was blogging in efforts to obtain loans from people to start his 'system' up again. I originally found the link in this forum, was thinking it might be useful for dollah to see.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:34 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Interestingly enuff its been harder to get renters now than it was in the past. Although its probaly not as big an issue if you going to go section 8 .

Leverage is a 4 letter word here. Most would rather have root canal than owe anybody any money.

Depending on where you live it may be possible to do what you describe. You will need to keep a nice safety cushion. Since you may be buying into homes that need some money invested before you can rent them out. Then it has taken hud some time to get me my first checks. Once your in the system they come like clockwork.

I think your jumping the gun in any case. You would need to start following home sales and calling hud to get a good idea of what the exact numbers they are paying. Although hud does have rental figures on their site. Although this guy didnt do the section 8 this talks about buying hud homes.

http://forum.richdad.com/forums/tm.a...ode=&s=#316408
spideyrdpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 08:34 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras
Anyone remember the blog by the guy that admitted illegally obtaining multiple loans (I am not implying in any way you are planning this Dollah, it is just a great site to see how bad it can get) and then had his house of cards fall down. He was blogging in efforts to obtain loans from people to start his 'system' up again. I originally found the link in this forum, was thinking it might be useful for dollah to see.
www.iamfacingforclosure.com

Moron at work!

The whole leveraging to buy houses is potentially attractive on two conditions: 1) if the properties will still flow cash after you have leveraged them up the wazoo, and 2) you still have the liquidity and free cash to swoop in and deal with expensive problems when they occur

If you are serious about this, start with one property and see hoow it goes for a year or two. One thing is for certain: houses will still be for sale and renters will still be around ina couple of years. If your first effort works out, thewre will still be opporttunities.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 09:44 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Wow, that guy *is* a moron! I hope his wife/GF/fiance figures it out and leaves him before he drags her down too.

I like this quote from his blog:

Quote:
Since I didn’t have any money, I “juiced up” the equity on most of the houses by getting cash at close. The cash-back was to pay for the holding costs, travel, repairs, etc. So every time I bought one there was a “CHA-CHING” sound and my bank account got fatter. This gave me a false sense of profit and kept me going.
hmmmm, kinda has that old 'total returns don't matter' ring to it, doesn't it? Just look at the 'cash flow' from each closing! And, now he's bankrupt (or considering it) and will let the rest of us pay for his ticket in this high-flying risky game.

I'm sure he would have shared his profits with all of us had he been lucky and 'won' this game.

These guys make me sick. - ERD50

ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 11:04 PM   #12

dont let everyone scare ya. if ur gonna buy, do it now...not when the market is up. buy something that needs cosmetic non-structural repairs (siding,paint,flooring,windows,drywall,plumbing etc). Hopefully, you can save some $$ by doing these repairs yourself...otherwise, i'd stop right there....not a good market for buying and then paying for someone else to fix it up...imho

but you can then obtain heloc on the property and buy another.

im on my 3rd, they are rented, and im cashflowing on all 3. just gotta maje the right purchases and dont plan on selling them anytime soon EXCEPT for selling as investment properties that already are rented and will cashflow immediately

good luck
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 09:48 AM   #13

I think most of the people here tend to be careful investors so RE speculation and leveraging won't be too popular. I agree with the post that suggests getting into it slowly with one property and seeing how it goes. I like the option of getting a duplex, living in one unit and renting the other, that's what I do and my only housing cost is $4k in RE taxes each year,
mortgage interest, insurance and basic repairs are covered by the rent.

Lastly I'd like to rant about those house flipping shows. How can they rennovate the places for say $30k when that's what it costs to do just a kitchen. seems like the budgets are way out of whack and I'd personally like to see a few more people loose money on the deals to give the audience a reality check.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 10:04 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan

There are still deals to be made. The big thing for me is the risk/reward ratio. If someone rolls the dice with their financial future, they might come up lucky.

I see people proud of their second vacation homes because they have gone up in value so much. But so have many other asset classes. And the others do not demand taking on debt to enjoy the returns like real estate.

My stocks and funds do not need hurricane/flood/tornado insurance and the associated worry.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DollahBillYall
Thanks all for the replies. I was surprised by the responses but they are valued. For example, I would think (it may be my naivete and that I don't know Sugar honey iced tea) that a soft housing market would be ripe for deal making, especially on foreclosures, since it is a buyers market. While I generally agree with most points made, I don't really understand the rationale for that one. Isn't this a renters market?

Thanks all -
IMO, the rationale is that as usual the future is unknown. For one, the landing is soft now, but what will it look like three years from now ? Will the price you pay for the house today seem like a good deal in three years ?

If housing prices continue to decline, will rents decline as well ? Will more people rent their houses if they can't sell them ?

I wish I could tell you with certainty.

-helen
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 02:58 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun
Lastly I'd like to rant about those house flipping shows. How can they rennovate the places for say $30k when that's what it costs to do just a kitchen. seems like the budgets are way out of whack and I'd personally like to see a few more people loose money on the deals to give the audience a reality check.
As someone who has renovated two of my last three houses, I can say it is all in the labor. The first house I renovated I had someone else do the floors. I walked away with about 20000 in my pocket. I could have sold it for more, but I gave my BIL a sweet deal. The second house I renovated I had someone else do the kitchen (custom cabinets) and the carpets. Everything else was done by me and the DW. The second house we walked away with about 90,000 in pocket. If I had hired everything out I would have spent a lot more than I made on both houses. So unless the person does most of the work themselves I agree with your point.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:07 PM   #17
Dryer sheet aficionado

Just be careful as to the condition of the houses you buy.
Sect.8 inspectors can be very nasty and gig the house for a variety of reasons.
I hope that you are in an area where there are renters to be found that are good.
My last two years are the worst I've had in the last two decades.
Put one in,evict two others.
Then there are the trashings that can be in the thousands of dollars.
Most landlords just wind up eating the trashings instead of getting insurance companies involved.
The tenant pool has never been worse than today.
During the last few years good tenants wound up buying their own homes.
Now we just wind up selecting the best of the worst.

Ray
raysk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 07:37 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Raysk, what part of the country are you in?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 07:54 PM   #19
Dryer sheet aficionado

Northern Ohio.
Just about the worst area of the country for residential rentals.
raysk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:59 PM   #20
Dryer sheet wannabe

Brewer beat me to posting this link, but I read through the http://iamfacingforeclosure.com/ blog once in a while out of curiosity.

I don't have experience with any rental properties but I would be cautious and start slow. Review lots of properties before your first deal and see how you like being a landlord.

John T. Reed has many good real estate investment books available though his web site. Also has a good real estate guru ranking available on the site.
http://www.johntreed.com/

-Mark

mjarzoms is offline   Reply With Quote