Join Early Retirement Today

LIBOR ARM: I think I broke mine! : )
Old 01-05-2008, 05:06 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

LIBOR ARM: I think I broke mine! : )

Has anyone ever gotten a 10/1 LIBOR ARM loan? This option is tempting me as the home I want to get I think stands a good chance to appreciate in 5 years and we're talking ~$300/month less going this route vs a fixed.

My main questions are:

1) What is the rate of equity build using this route vs fixed?
2) For the 10-year period, is the rate locked?
3) After the 10-year, what is the maximum the new rate can be adjusted?
4) Are you allowed to refinance into a different scheme if other products are available after year 10?

Thoughts, watch outs, learnings?

Also, in Gwinnett Co, GA can you choose to pay property taxes in lump sum or do you have to pay per month?

Thanks,
MFG
Mary_From_Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2008, 06:34 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Read the very fine print of the documentation the lender provides you in advance of agreeing to this loan. I don't know if there are any "standards" regarding a 10/1 LIBOR Arm, but I will tell you that when we have used adjustable mortgages in the past, we calculated what the payment would be on the full note amount at the very highest interest rate and if we couldn't afford to make that payment at the time the loan papers were signed, then we went another route. I would also say (and this is just mho) that I would never buy anything with the thought that appreciation would assist me with a higher payment if the rate resets. If you can do this at a $300 per month savings, what did you plan to do with the $300? If you plow that into the loan, would it make a reset easier to deal with?
bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 12:02 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

MFG,

Read my answer to a similar question you posted on your other thread.

As for your other questions here about the loan, we here on the board have no way to tell. You should be asking these questions of the lender or mortgage broker who is offering you this product. That being said, the terminology 10/1 would generally indicate that the rate would be fixed for the first 10 years and then reset annually after that. Generally speaking, you can refinance anytime you want; however your existing mortgage may have prepayment penalties that could apply.

As far as your property tax question, you should ask the Gwinnett County assessor's office. In my county, I have the choice of paying my property taxes six months at a time or one year at a time; I've no idea if this is typical. Also, note that I do not have a mortgage escrow account; if I did have one then 1/12th of my property taxes and property insurance would be added to my monthly payment; the mortgage company would then save up those extra amounts and pay my property taxes and insurance when required.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:56 AM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
MFG,

Read my answer to a similar question you posted on your other thread.

As for your other questions here about the loan, we here on the board have no way to tell. You should be asking these questions of the lender or mortgage broker who is offering you this product. That being said, the terminology 10/1 would generally indicate that the rate would be fixed for the first 10 years and then reset annually after that. Generally speaking, you can refinance anytime you want; however your existing mortgage may have prepayment penalties that could apply.

As far as your property tax question, you should ask the Gwinnett County assessor's office. In my county, I have the choice of paying my property taxes six months at a time or one year at a time; I've no idea if this is typical. Also, note that I do not have a mortgage escrow account; if I did have one then 1/12th of my property taxes and property insurance would be added to my monthly payment; the mortgage company would then save up those extra amounts and pay my property taxes and insurance when required.

2Cor521
Thank you. Looks like fixed is the way to go.
Mary_From_Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:00 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

I used an 8/1 mortgage for 5 years. rates dropped and I refinanced to a lower fixed rate. No prepayment penalties - but I asked before agreeing to the initial loan. 10 years is a lot of wiggle room to give you an opportunity to obtain a lower rate and many people move before that time.
I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote