Join Early Retirement Today

living abroad
Old 07-22-2006, 01:32 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

living abroad

recently returned from Bali Indonesia. Have purchased land with my father(retired in Bali) and just completed our home.
How many people currently spend part of the yr abroad or intend to retire overseas? I know that venturing "outside the box" is a tad bit risky or adventurist for most. So many of my freinds spend there whole life in North America and never aspire to experience new cultures. What a shame. My goal is by 35 to be able to live for 6 months in indonesia on my investment income. The price of living in western Canadas is becoming unbearable. Price of living in Bali is extremely appealing. Our maid works four hrs per day 6 days a week for a salary of roughly 45 american dollars per month. Monthly grocery bills maybe one hundred dollars which includes fresh fish, tons of fruit, western staples, beer etc. Property taxes on one hectare of land 50 dollars, satelite tv(hbo, espn.abc bbc ) 35 dollars per month the list goes on. Just curious how many would enjoy life outside of north america for half of the yr or longer...
mosaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: living abroad
Old 07-22-2006, 01:55 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Put me on that list. Bali sounded nice - and very inexpensive - do you have any links to additional info?
Old 07-22-2006, 02:13 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I have spent a lot of time abroad and although I am still far from FIRE, I plan on having a residence in the US and living abroad part of the year.

With the Patriot Act and all the other stuff going on, who knows though, I may end up in the Caribbean or Belize permenantly.
Old 07-22-2006, 02:23 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

How safe is Bali?
macdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 02:44 PM   #5
Dryer sheet wannabe

Bali is very safe. There have been two terrorist attacks in the Kuta area in the last five yrs, though security was quite heavy when I was there. I reside in the North of Bali. Less crowded, cheaper and more in tune with nature. There is virtually no violent crime against westerners. Theft from property can be a problem yet many westerners have night watch man as we do. A really beautiful and rewarding spot to resid during the rainy months in west coast Canada...
Old 07-23-2006, 03:21 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

When you look outside the US for retirement choices your options really open up. We could not have semi retired with the same standard of living in the US. No maid, no $2.99 shorts or shirts, no all you can eat beach resorts for $39 a day. While it's not the US that is not necessarily a bad thing.
Old 07-23-2006, 03:50 PM   #7
Dryer sheet aficionado

I'd love to do it. We lived in Australia for 2 years a while back and had a great experience.

Taxes can be tricky when living overseas, but we ended without any major headaches.
Old 07-23-2006, 04:06 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
When you look outside the US for retirement choices your options really open up.
Thank God!

Quote:
While it's not the US that is not necessarily a bad thing.
Sure hope so.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:47 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I have lived abroad and still travel extensively abroad. I do not consider it risky or adventurist at all. The world is great, but my travels show me how good the US of A really is.

I am sure that we could easily live part or all of the year abroad now or in the future. But where we live will be based mostly on where our friends and family are. Right now, they are world-wide, but mostly in the US, so that's probably where we will end up.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 12:06 PM   #10
Dryer sheet wannabe

Its no canada( joking) yet i am sure nice for you and yours. Mind you i think it might not be as nice a few yrs down the rd. All i was saying in regards to my freinds is they should venture outside their comfort zone and open themselves up. In terms of finances most of my freinds can barely get by in Canada. Retiremnet prospects for them are scary indeed.
Old 07-24-2006, 07:44 PM   #11
Confused about dryer sheets

Can non-Indonesians own (not a life estate, not a lease) land in Indonesia

Also, what about possible immigration problems with extended stays

I've been to Bali and it is beautiful.
Spacebär is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 10:10 AM   #12
Dryer sheet wannabe

yes utilizing several legal contracts we own our land in Bali. My father comes home to Canada once per yr and returns to Indo with a sponsorship letter. He pays a man in the govt to extend his visa.(dont know legalities this is how things in indonesia are done) When I was there I took a quick flight to singapore for two days and then came back and got an extended visa... Could have avoided this with sponsorship letter and getting visa in Vancouver from indo embassy. You can apply for retirement visas and also get a Kitas which is a work permit ... hope this helps.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:41 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Arif, where do you live?
claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 10:24 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Arif, where do you live?
In Panama, right outside Panama city.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:25 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

oooops i thought the title was living with a broad
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote