Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Long Commute is a source of unhapiness of work
Old 12-20-2006, 09:26 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Commute is 4Km (10 minutes at 0700h; 15 minutes at 1800h) and traffic moves well unless there's a blizzard.

A few years ago I had a job offer in Toronto, to manage two sites approximately 20K apart. Commute would have taken ~2 hours per day. My response: Fuhgeddabouddit!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2006, 09:37 PM   #42
Dryer sheet wannabe

I do not think there are any cookie cutter formulas here. I would rather commute 1 hr+ to a job I love than 2 minutes to one I cannot stand ........ many shades of grey in-between.

Old 12-21-2006, 09:13 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When I was working, I think I only had a commute of more than 20 minutes for one brief period of time (less than a year). For 6 years, my commute was less than 1 mile. When I had the long commute, I got some language tapes and used the time to brush up on my Spanish. It made the 50-60 minutes seem tolerable.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:22 AM   #44

Umm - OK, we're crazy - I used to commute 85 miles each way on I-80 (Sacto-Berkeley) - now commute 40 miles each way.... but not every day as I can telecommute. DH commutes 70 miles each way towards Stockton.....we hate it - we look forward to saying goodbye to CA -why do we do this? We have a house almost paid off that has appreciated close to 100% in 5 years and when we leave here, we will have a nice amount of cash to purchase our next roof.

As for fun stuff to do around here - well, that's a different story - great hiking, skiing, cultural (if weird at times), easy airports.....so there's good and bad.

Loved my commute in Europe - 5 minutes through beautiful countryside.

Deserat
Old 12-21-2006, 09:41 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor
If not for the fact that I want to spend more time with my family I would not mind a longer commute.
This might sound crazy to you, until you realize I commute on a bicycle. 7 miles one way takes me about half on hour.
Same here. My commutes from 1979-2006 slowly grew (4m, 5m, 11m, 15m, 17m, 23m) with
each move and job change in the Los Angeles area. I bicycled most of the time, and the
longer the better, even when it was almost 2 hours each way. On the days I drove, I
always got home in a foul mood.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:59 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via MSN to cons Send a message via Yahoo to cons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
Do you agree with the following order of importance of a job? Commute is almost at the bottom of list - surprisingly.

Salary
Good environment
Benefits
Good co-workers
Good technology
Enjoyable projects
Challenge
Good management
Stability
Freedom
Flex time
Education
Commute
Advancement potential
Independence/trust
Training

commute would definitely be higher on the list for me. however, it did take a few years to cut the commute time down to where it was stress free.

when i started working for my current employer 5 years ago, my commute was between 45 mins (w/o traffic) and 60 mins each way. after almost 3 months of all the stress it was causing, i found an apartment that was 25 mins each way, never hit traffic. luckily i was still single at the time, so the stress was bearable to some extent.

when we were looking to buy a place, close proximity to work was very important. we were lucky to have found a place that was safe, clean, quiet, and in a good school district. my commute is now between 8 - 13 mins, depending on how i hit the traffic lights. i take local streets to get to/from work, no more highways/expressways, but many more stop signs. the short commute definitely reduces the stress. with a wife and kid at home, can't imagine how it would be now if i still had that long stressful commute.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:47 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserat
Umm - OK, we're crazy - I used to commute 85 miles each way on I-80 (Sacto-Berkeley) - now commute 40 miles each way.... but not every day as I can telecommute. DH commutes 70 miles each way towards Stockton.....we hate it - we look forward to saying goodbye to CA -why do we do this? We have a house almost paid off that has appreciated close to 100% in 5 years and when we leave here, we will have a nice amount of cash to purchase our next roof.

As for fun stuff to do around here - well, that's a different story - great hiking, skiing, cultural (if weird at times), easy airports.....so there's good and bad.

Loved my commute in Europe - 5 minutes through beautiful countryside.

Deserat
I hope your 100% appreciation on your house shows up when and IF you can Sell IT!!

Timing of this market is getting ugly.

Homes are sitting a long time and prices here in NJ are down 25%. We got lucky last spring PERIOD! I could not get 525,000 for that house I sold in april now, the prices are listing in the 440,000 range.

Good Luck my friends
Old 12-22-2006, 09:05 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by cons

when i started working for my current employer 5 years ago, my commute was between 45 mins (w/o traffic) and 60 mins each way. after almost 3 months of all the stress it was causing, i found an apartment that was 25 mins each way, never hit traffic. luckily i was still single at the time, so the stress was bearable to some extent.
My commute has been 45 minutes each way for the last eight years. The commute for the next job will be 20 minutes but not as short as the commute time of 8 minutes for the job that I had turned down. Every time I drove by that company, I said to myself, "I could have saved my commute time significantly."
Old 12-23-2006, 06:20 PM   #49

17 miles takes about 22 minutes. First I drive through my small town, then onto the state road, then through another small town, then 6 more miles of country roads to the manufacturing plant in the cornfield. The traffic jams come only during planting and harvest when the tractors are out on the road. Even though I don't have to deal with traffic jams and the drive is relatively short and the scenery changes with the seasons, the repetition (driving the same route) drives me crazy.