Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Long Term Trends Affecting Young Dreamers
Old 01-11-2005, 05:22 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Heh,heh,heh - every generation is going to hell and damnation - remember evil rock and roll, James Dean, Marlin Brando, etc and those hippies!

My Father used to say in the 1930's - Lawrence Welk was considered out there on the fringe.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2005, 05:33 AM   #22

Quote:
The trend you speak of is real.

You can see it in the way many kids dress for school with baggy ripped clothes, blue hair, nose and tongue rings, etc. They listen to rap songs that talk about killing cops, degrading women, and include every swear imaginable, but they can't listen to Christmas songs in school. *Many more kids play video games that make it "fun" to steal cars, shoot and chain-saw people in half rather than learn how to be good citizens through the boy and girl scouts . *Many schools don't have students say the pledge of allegiance followed by a moment of silence, but they do allow speakers that talk about "alternative lifestyles." *Gay lifestyles are promoted as mainstream to toddlers and young children with cartoons, books, and targeted TV programs, while we see less of the old-style shows that promote family values with respect to parents and elders.

There is a real decay in the moral fabric of society and too many adults are not helping kids get out of this quandary.
R40,

Hey, Bob Smith is not talking about the kids. He's talking about the adults that are running the country and raising the kids.

You've heard of Enron, Worldcom, Tyco etc. etc. ? The kids are reacting to what they see in the current society.

He is also speaking of dishonesty. Just because you don't happen to like gays and they may not fit into your religion, doesn't mean the U.S. should adopt your standards. There are plenty of countries that endorse religion and not FREEDOM. A lot of those countries are in the middle east!
Old 01-15-2005, 08:50 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

He is also speaking of dishonesty. Just because you don't happen to like gays and they may not fit into your religion, doesn't mean the U.S. should adopt your standards. There are plenty of countries that endorse religion and not FREEDOM. A lot of those countries are in the middle east!
Some interesting notes I came across regarding the US "adopting" Christianity...

http://www.wtv-zone.com/Mary/forsakenroots.html
Old 01-15-2005, 09:00 AM   #24

e. "there are plenty of countries that endorse religion and not freedom". The USA endorses freedom, we just don't practice it.

JG
Old 01-16-2005, 08:40 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Heh,heh,heh - every generation is going to hell and damnation - remember evil rock and roll, James Dean, Marlin Brando, etc and those hippies!
Unfortunately, that is literally true. The vast majority of people in every generation are lost:

Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:

Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Matthew 7:13-14 KJV
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 03:24 AM   #26

Quote:

Unfortunately, that is literally true. *The vast majority of people in every generation are lost:

Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Jimmy Swaggart and Jim and Tammy Baker used to quote the same passages. What they didn't realize was that the quote had more to do with themselves than the people that they were pointing at.

Careful who you point at. You might be pointing at a mirror.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:31 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Careful who you point at.
Oh, I'm not pointing at anyone in particular. I don't have the right to judge people.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 11:47 AM   #28

Quote:
Unfortunately, that is literally true. *The vast majority of people in every generation are lost:

I'm actually quite surprised that any who profess to be Christians even contemplate accumulating the level of wealth required to retire early.

Didn't somebody say:
Quote:
And again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.
You would think that if they truly believed in their religion that they would be more worried about their "salvation" than about their money. Of course, you find that most people only use religion as a means for advancing themselves and for beating on others.
Hyperborea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 12:28 PM   #29

Quote:
I'm actually quite surprised that any who profess to be Christians even contemplate accumulating the level of wealth required to retire early.
To me being Christian just means treating other as I would want to be treated. It has nothing to do with accumulating wealth, so I don't understand the point you are trying to make.

Besides, I believe most Christians (as well as non-Christians) can contribute more to charity when they are richer rather than poorer. I certainly can and have.

In fact, one of the things I plan on doing as I need to work less hours is volunteering more of my free time to good causes. Sometimes it's not all dollars and cents that makes a difference.
Old 01-17-2005, 01:51 PM   #30

Retire@40

Quote:
To me being Christian just means treating other as I would want to be treated.
Does this include gay people ?

From your earlier post I gather you think of the gay lifestyle is decadent/immoral. I've been with my partner for 17 years and it doesn't feel the least bit decadent/immoral to me.

Best regards,

-helen

Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 02:57 PM   #31

Quote:
Retire@40

From your earlier post I gather you think of the gay lifestyle is decadent/immoral. *I've been with my partner for 17 years and it doesn't feel the least bit decadent/immoral to me.

Best regards,

-helen
Yup, Helen 'they' have a hard time 'gettin it'. - They claim they like Freedom, until someone starts practicing it.

And then there is that passing out the Fish and Loaves thing. Welfare I say - Welfare
Old 01-17-2005, 02:58 PM   #32

Quote:
It includes everyone. I have nothing against gays. I've got gay friends that are very good people. I just don't believe the gay lifestyle should be imposed on young children as it is being done these days in elementary schools and cartoons.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:48 PM   #33

Quote:
It includes everyone. *I have nothing against gays. I've got gay friends that are very good people. *I just don't believe the gay lifestyle should be imposed on young children as it is being done these days in elementary schools and cartoons.
Retire @40.
I'm not Helen. Just curious. (I don't have a dog in this fight). My oldest daughter is 40, so a long time since I've been exposed to the elementary schools.
How is the gay lifestyle being imposed to elementary school children?
Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 03:52 PM   #34

Quote:
To me being Christian just means treating other as I would want to be treated. *It has nothing to do with accumulating wealth, so I don't understand the point you are trying to make.
That's exactly the point. If you read the literature (particularly the new testament) it seems to be saying that striving for wealth is something one shouldn't be doing. If one shouldn't be striving for wealth then how is one to retire early? Trying to understand how one reconciles an essentially communistic religion with goals of building up big piles of mammon so that you can stop working.

Quote:
Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal: But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal: For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
<snip>
No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon. Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on.
Hyperborea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 05:53 PM   #35

Quote:
How is the gay lifestyle being imposed to elementary school children?
Well, I do have a child in elementary school and I see the attempts. Why they want to shove it down our throats, I don't know. I think it ends up being counter-productive because it makes non-gay parents angry that our kids are being taught sexual material at an age when they still believe in Santa.

They are even putting out videos to be shown in elementary schools like this one: http://www.fflibraries.org/Education_Docs/ELEM99.htm

And here's another example:

Artist: Gigi Kaeser, Peggy Gillespie and Pam Brown
Confronting Bodies: Cambridge School District
Date of Action: 1995
Specific Location: Cambridge, Massachusetts
Description of Artwork: The exhibit, "Love Makes a Family: Living in Lesbian and Gay Families," features photos and text showing families with gay children or parents.

Description of Incident: The two-week exhibit and supporting panel discussion was planned to heighten awareness for alternative lifestyles at Peabody Elementary School.

And another example:
Under the recommendations, which will soon be adopted by the California Department of Education as administrative regulations to be followed in every K-12 public school, all curriculum in the state will be changed to include alternative sexual lifestyles. In other words, literature, math word problems, health and social studies classes, as well as other subjects, will be tailored to positively portray homosexuality, bisexuality and transgenderism. sourcehttp://wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=22709

I don't want to make this ER forum into a gay issues forum, so that's all I will have to say about this matter.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:42 PM   #36

Quote:
I don't want to make this ER forum into a gay issues forum, so that's all I will have to say about this matter.
Well, you did bring it up and actually it is very much an ER topic. *And IMO, it is appropriate for this thread, "Long term trends affecting young dreamers".

Not being able to have a civil union makes it much more difficult for me to plan for ER. *It hinders things like rebalancing between accounts, health insurance, pension payouts, social security payouts, estate and inheritence taxes etc.

These are not small points, they can add up to hundreds of thousands of dollars - in the estate taxes alone. *It really burns me to think that my partner and I can spend a life time accumulating assets together then have one of us have to pay estate and inheritence taxes upon the death of the other. *

Health insurance as we all know is very, very expensive. *Having to carry two separate policies costs us a lot of money while working, and during retirement it will be even worse.

Your perception is that gay lifestyles are being shoved down elementary school kids throats (I hope I am not putting words in your mouth ).
My perception is that they are trying to make schools a safer place, by teaching tolerance at an early age, for kids who are gay. *Being gay and a high school student can be very dangerous, and this is not acceptable.

Best regards,

-helen

Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 07:33 PM   #37
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And another example:
Under the recommendations, which will soon be adopted by the California Department of Education as administrative regulations to be followed in every K-12 public school, all curriculum in the state will be changed to include alternative sexual lifestyles. In other words, literature, math word problems, health and social studies classes, as well as other subjects, will be tailored to positively portray homosexuality, bisexuality and transgenderism.
Wow. Sounds just like my school days at Blessed Sacrament. If William has 2 crucifixes, and Mary gives him 3 more, how may crucifixes will William have?

Aside from the computational issues, there were social issues here too. Like would Mary ever get close to a boy, even one carrying crucifixes? Not at my school. If Mary came onto the boys' end of the playground, the boys would run at her trying to hike her skirt or at least knock her down. The supervising nun would attack the boys, in order to preserve Mary's virtue. And besides, any boy carrying crucifixes would have been a dead duck.

To morph it to the issue at hand...

Matthew, Bruno and Brad are heading to the bathhouse. Between them they have 1 condom and 2 hits of Ecstasy. How much fun will they have?

Lots! They can share the Ecstasy, and who the hell needs condoms?
Old 01-17-2005, 07:45 PM   #38

Quote:
It includes everyone. I have nothing against gays.

. . .

Description of Incident: The two-week exhibit and supporting panel discussion was planned to heighten awareness for alternative lifestyles at Peabody Elementary School.

And another example:
. . . all curriculum in the state will be changed to include alternative sexual lifestyles. In other words, literature, math word problems, health and social studies classes, as well as other subjects, will be tailored to positively portray homosexuality, bisexuality and transgenderism. . . .
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying . . . Since you don't have anything against gays, what is it that you are opposed to -- increasing awareness of the lifestyle or portraying it in a positive light?

Don't we now have educational books, videos etc that portray the heterosexual lifestyle in a positive light? Is there a difference that I'm missing?
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 08:56 AM   #39
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:

Don't we now have educational books, videos etc that portray the heterosexual lifestyle in a positive light? *Is there a difference that I'm missing?
Seriously. Why can't children learn about homosexual families? Maybe they have a child in their school who has homosexual parents. What is wrong with making sure they are tolerant of differences? Maybe there is a child in their school who happens to be homosexual. Learning about homosexuals doesn't force anyone to become one. It just encourages tolerance. Just as homosexuals tolerate heterosexuals. I don't hear them complaining about heterosexual couples portrayed in their children's teachings.
gia6898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 09:53 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Why they want to shove it down our throats, I don't know. *I think it ends up being counter-productive because it makes non-gay parents angry that our kids are being taught sexual material at an age when they still believe in Santa.
I'm half of a team of blatantly heterosexual parents who started teaching our kid sexual material before she entered first grade-- with that subversive & seditious propaganda called "Where Did I Come From?"

The vast majority of us know what a tough experience our raging hormones made out of high school. Imagine being one of the minority of kids whose budding biological imperatives seem oriented toward homosexuality. What if you didn't have any information on the subject besides a community impression that it's not good, or from old Seinfeld routines? Information about homosexuality is just as beneficial as information about heterosexuality.

I think the schools are teaching our kids about blacks, Asians, Muslims, Jews, communists, and even Democrats. Strangely they're not teaching enough financial management, stockpicking, or low-cost tax-efficient index mutual funds. But I'm not hearing any objections on those topics!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote