Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Looking for a town to raise children
Old 06-10-2007, 09:58 AM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Looking for a town to raise children

I'm not sure that this is the right place to ask the question, but I am young and dreaming...

My wife and I have a 3.5 mo. old baby and live in Arlington, VA. We love Arlington, but to afford it we don't live in the best neighborhood. It was ok before we were parents, but the kids in the area aren't the type with which we want our children to grow up (staying out late and their parent's don't care, rude, seem to have a fondness for the idea of gangs)

We're looking for a nice town (on the east coast) with some perks of living near a city that's not in the middle of nowhere... Any suggestions?

I guess we'd like to live in a city without living in the city.
captain_krunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2007, 10:02 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_krunk View Post
We're looking for a nice town (on the east coast) with some perks of living near a city that's not in the middle of nowhere... Any suggestions?
Edgewater? Crofton? Bowie? Eastern shore?

Sometimes it's easier to screen out what you don't want by using the "Yeah, but..." process and then choosing from what's left over.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 11:07 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_krunk View Post

I presume you know that such a place, when you find it, will almost certainly be very expensive?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 12:32 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

If you don't care about being on the coast and don't mind the midwest, Fishers, IN is right outside Indianapolis, and was voted 24th most desirable city to live & raise children.

Cost of living is great, access to great shopping and dining. We have the Indianapolis Colts. Winters aren't totally horrible. No ocean though we do have Indiana Beach
CybrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 12:34 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I guess there are a lot of places that might work, but I see two things you will need to address: how much are you willing to spend and where do you have to be in order to work. You'll likely end up with a compromise in any case.

For example, there are lots of places in suburban NJ and around Philly that might work. But Jersey is likely to be pretty expensive (especially RE taxes and general cost of living), and Philly may not offer the kind of labor market access you require.

We ended up compromising a bit. We found a place in suburban Jersy that has costs we can deal with, and it is a doable (if a bit lengthy) to the finance jobs I typically would be looking at. The trade off is that the town's schools are so-so (we will do Catholic schools) and cost of living is a tad higher than I would like (I'd be shocked if my RE bill won't top $7k for my ho-hum 2000 sq ft house). But we get to live in a cul-de-sac on the edge of a lake with neighbors we count as friends and generally like. Kids play freely in the street and when a strange car enters the 'hood you can see all the adults' heads turn to keep half an eye on who it is. And the local police blotter has entries for DWIs at worst, mostly crowded out by nuisance crimes at the train station and people calling the cops because there is a squirrel "acting funny" in their driveway (a baby looking for its mother).

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 01:50 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
... and people calling the cops because there is a squirrel "acting funny" in their driveway (a baby looking for its mother).
Sounds like something Don Knotts & Opie would end up investigating...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 02:02 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Sounds like something Don Knotts & Opie would end up investigating...
Pretty much. That's why I mumble a bit about the property taxes, but I wouldn't consider moving while we have kids.

- George Orwell

Old 06-10-2007, 02:31 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CybrMike View Post
No ocean though we do have Indiana Beach
"Pollution, pollution, you can use the latest toothpaste; and then rinse your mouth with industrial waste." Tom Lehrer

Quote:
...and people calling the cops because there is a squirrel "acting funny" in their driveway...
"Water, water, everywhere, and not a joke to drink..." Hawkeye Pierce

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 04:34 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Might be useful as a jumping off point:

Neighboroo - Neighborhood Information for Real Estate and Marketing

Lets you check crime stats, cost of housing, education stuf and other salient stats. Seems to have some iffy data here and there and also seems to lump some areas together that arent really particularly similar.

The GUI is slick, and might help you weed through the areas you're looking in.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 05:16 PM   #10
Administrator

Virtually anywhere in Connecticut (outside of the major cities) is great. If you need to work in NYC, you trade time for money. That is, to live closer to NYC and have a shorter commute, you pay more in housing costs. The trick is to find your own personal comfort point. My own commute is almost two hours to midtown Manhattan (by train), but I get to live in a large house on the water in a historic town with good schools.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:31 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Come south! Justin lives in Raleigh, which is really nice, but think about some nice coastal NC and SC cities as well. Beaufort (NC and SC) are nice, Wilmington is great. I'd say Charleston, but I grew up here and didn't turn out all that well, so you'd have to take that into consideration...

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Ithaca?
Old 06-11-2007, 11:17 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Ithaca?

How about Ithaca, New York?

college town; great schools and lots of family-oriented activities; pretty landscape; cheap real estate; within striking distance of NYC should the urge to visit a real city hit..

on the downside, it does have cold winters, though.

If i ever move back to the East coast, I shall seriously consider Ithaca.

winnie
winnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:23 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
How about Ithaca, New York?

college town; great schools and lots of family-oriented activities; pretty landscape; cheap real estate; within striking distance of NYC should the urge to visit a real city hit..

on the downside, it does have cold winters, though.

If i ever move back to the East coast, I shall seriously consider Ithaca.

winnie
Crappy winters and a lousy job market, but otherwise, I am with you. I like Oneonta for much the same reasons.

- George Orwell

Old 06-11-2007, 01:25 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

My picks:

Burlington, VT
Bangor or Augusta, ME
Charlottesville, VA

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote