Join Early Retirement Today

loving what you do
Old 08-20-2007, 08:11 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

loving what you do

Greg and I had the pleasure of visiting with my cousin's son yesterday. He lives in Brooklyn NY and was in town to visit his mother. He is a 27 year old engineer and his business partner is a metal artist. They started a business that does custom metal work. .:: 4th State Metals ::. Check on "in progress" and look at the film of them suspending police cars from a ceiling as part of an art installation. Great fun!

It was so enjoyable listening to someone excited about their work and their future. He even likes their landlord, who lets them cut holes in their building provided they patch them up later. And isn't concerned if rent is a few days late.

Anyway, enjoy your work. It is not all about ER.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2007, 08:43 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

They should meet my niece who lives in New York City and designs purses from skateboards .wwwbeckycity.com

Old 08-20-2007, 08:45 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I thought this was going to be a thread about lawyering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
He is a 27 year old engineer and his business partner is a metal artist. They started a business that does custom metal work.
When they get tired of the winters, there's lifetime employment out here for residential gates & balcony railings...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:51 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
They should meet my niece who lives in New York City and designs purses from skateboards .wwwbeckycity.com
Hey, maybe we can fix them up! I love the purses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

When they get tired of the winters, there's lifetime employment out here for residential gates & balcony railings...
They are too high priced. Recently they did a $4000 toilet paper holder and magazine rack.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:55 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
They should meet my niece who lives in New York City and designs purses from skateboards .
Isn't it difficult for her to maintain her balance while she works?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 09:22 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
They are too high priced. Recently they did a $4000 toilet paper holder and magazine rack.
They'll fit right in. We need a little healthy competition to shake up the market around here...

Dynamic Expressions - Custom architecturally designed decorative entry gates in Honolulu, Hawaii. - For the Elite

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:46 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
They'll fit right in. We need a little healthy competition to shake up the market around here...

Dynamic Expressions - Custom architecturally designed decorative entry gates in Honolulu, Hawaii. - For the Elite

Wow. I can't get over their hours of operation. They love their job too.

Quote:
Hours of Operation:
Monday–Friday
9:00 a.m.–9:00 p.m.

-CC
Old 08-21-2007, 04:51 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCdaCE View Post
Wow. I can't get over their hours of operation. They love their job too.
You're not kidding.

Most of these guys used to be nuclear welding technicians at the Pearl Harbor Shipyard until the 1990s combination of supervisory personalities and the submarine force's drawdown encouraged them to seek other employment. Compared to 24-hour shiftwork and the radiography quality assurance hassles, today they probably feel like they're playing for pay.

I think they also get a lot of showroom traffic in the evenings. Most of these high-rolling customers are working all day and not "available" for shopping until after 6 PM.

Did I mention that the military and the state's crumbling infrastructure are making this island a lifetime-employment paradise for civil engineers, too?

Old 08-23-2007, 10:53 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

<snip>

Did I mention that the military and the state's crumbling infrastructure are making this island a lifetime-employment paradise for civil engineers, too?
Next thing you're going to say is that there's a plentiful amount of money to solve these infrastructure problems.

Don't get me wrong. If life was all $20 bills to fix $15 problems, I'd make a lot lower salary.

I can't imagine what Hawaiians pay for a cubic yard of concrete, a ton of Portland cement or a pound of reinforcing steel.

-CC
Old 08-23-2007, 12:25 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCdaCE View Post
I can't imagine what Hawaiians pay for a cubic yard of concrete, a ton of Portland cement or a pound of reinforcing steel.
It's probably not made of the gold it's priced at.

But, hey, in the vast majority of the state you don't have to worry about freezing weather or snow loading. And you can cast concrete walls in a continuous pour!