Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-18-2008, 05:33 AM   #21
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby View Post
But one from the University of Florida would be top-notch. Go Gators!
Well, I am asking about those accredited but non-top-ranking universities. A few examples I am looking into are:
1) University of South Australia (EQUIS accredited)
2) Charles Sturt University
3) Charles Darwin University

These are ordinary universities which are legitimate, but not ranked among the top 100 in the world. They are accredited by the Australian government. For South Australia, it holds an additional accreditation from the world's leading business school accreditation agency.

Would you respect more a financial consultant who holds a professional Doctorate (Doctor of Business Administration) from one of the above universities than you would another who doesn't hold any?
AdventuresAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2008, 10:03 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventuresAddict View Post
Would you respect more a financial consultant who holds a professional Doctorate (Doctor of Business Administration) from one of the above universities than you would another who doesn't hold any?
No, I wouldn't.

A doctorate is generally considered a narrowly-focused academic degree, more suitable for teaching and research than practice.

If qualifications are important to you, I'd suggest that you pursue a CFA or similar designation, rather than a doctorate (from any university, in Australia or elsewhere).

Personally, if I were looking for a financial advisor or consultant, I'd place much more emphasis on his or her documented track record than any formal qualifications.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:55 AM   #23
Dryer sheet aficionado

But it seems to me that the majorn certifications in this industry----CFP, ChFC, CLU, CFA and CPA----are becoming more common nowadays. So, to distinguish oneself, an MBA or DBA might be helpful. While the PhD is indeed an academically inclined and focused research degree, the DBA is quite different. The DBA is a practitioner's doctorate, which focuses on applied research rather than pure (academic) research. So, while a PhD thesis may focus on, say, what's the Safe Withdrawal Rate, a DBA thesis would focus on the applied aspects, such as on how to craft a portfolio for a young person preparing to retire in 20 years using current knowledge about the various assets (eg stocks, bonds, property, commodities, metals). This would be a step above the above-mentioned certifications. The exams for the certifications test the ability of candidates to apply existing assumptions but not to research in depth into the assumptions themselves. So, I thought a DBA of such nature would be of value and shows a much deeper understanding of how to apply knowledge to produce results.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:39 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventuresAddict View Post
But it seems to me that the majorn certifications in this industry----CFP, ChFC, CLU, CFA and CPA----are becoming more common nowadays. So, to distinguish oneself, an MBA or DBA might be helpful. While the PhD is indeed an academically inclined and focused research degree, the DBA is quite different. The DBA is a practitioner's doctorate, which focuses on applied research rather than pure (academic) research. So, while a PhD thesis may focus on, say, what's the Safe Withdrawal Rate, a DBA thesis would focus on the applied aspects, such as on how to craft a portfolio for a young person preparing to retire in 20 years using current knowledge about the various assets (eg stocks, bonds, property, commodities, metals). This would be a step above the above-mentioned certifications. The exams for the certifications test the ability of candidates to apply existing assumptions but not to research in depth into the assumptions themselves. So, I thought a DBA of such nature would be of value and shows a much deeper understanding of how to apply knowledge to produce results.
Ah, I wouldn't call the CFA "more common". There are about 70,000 charter holders in the U.S. and only an additional 3000 or so new charter holders a year. This is not a horn blowing. It's the fact that the exams require you to ruin three years worth of your social life + whatever number of years you have already trashed working on your MBA and M.Sc. that eventually make most test takers say enough, and that's the price you pay on top of the crazy curriculum.

The difference between a professional designation and a DBA is that you can still hold a decent-paying job while studying for you professional designation, but a DBA is a full-time-plus job that pays TA-level salary. Choices! I wish you the best.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 11:25 PM   #25
Dryer sheet aficionado

I am surprised that the CFA is so highly regarded and exclusive in the US. In Singapore, it seems to me that more and more people hold it. Comparatively, the DBA is certainly tougher and more demanding, since a Doctorate by definition is the highest degree. You could expect a DBA to teach CFA students, but not the other way round. Oh, by the way, certain accredited DBAs can now be studied part-time, just like the CFA. That's why I am asking for you guys' opinion. I wouldn't leave my job and income for 3 years for studies. Otherwise I can never retire by 35 as planned.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:46 PM   #26

If a DBA can be done part time, and it's what you want to do, then by all means go for it. It will be worth the effort.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote