Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-24-2007, 06:54 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Looking at traffic and beach reports for the weekend, heck I am retired why do I need to go anyplace on holiday weekends?

To wait say 2 hours for a dinner at a resturant?

Hummm, next week would be a better time.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2007, 09:41 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeeeee View Post
I didn't realize we were coming up on Memorial Day. Most days in retirement are pretty much like a holiday anyway.

"Who are all these people, and why arent they at work?!?" Happens to me all the time.

Probably a good time for me to share my long weekend vacation strategy.

Almost everyone tries to 'game' the system by getting 9 days off in a row by taking the 4 days off after the holiday weekend. Only problem with that is so does everyone else. So you're 'vacationing' with 90 million yahoos at the beach, then everyone goes back to work and their head catches fire when they see that over a weeks worth of work crap is smouldering on their desk.

My strategy was to work the 'short' week, enjoy a nice quiet office with nearly zero people in it, get lots of paperwork and other 'catchup' stuff done, then take the following week off. Then everyone comes back from their 'vacation', they all run around screaming trying to catch up...and i'm at the nearly empty beach.

Only downside to this is sometimes people got grumpy that they wanted me to do something and I wasnt there.

Like I cared.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 12:33 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby View Post
Getting married.
Wow!

Going on a honeymoon?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 08:24 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Friday....hung out with some friends.....painting canvases till 2am.
Saturday.....hung out with friends, went to a 7 year olds birthday party, chilling out with my little kittens.
Sunday....varnish paintings, all day bbq.
Monday-June 3...On Vacation!!!!
Old 05-27-2007, 05:39 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

West Point does a pretty good graduation ceremony.

Saturday morning at 6 AM the USMA security line stretched about five miles up the road from their first gate for a 9 AM event. Local police eventually got the traffic divided among the gates (sentries, ID checks, sniffers, dogs, who knows what else) and into the shuttle lot. The stadium was tighter-- bag searches (no backpacks or large bags), metal detectors, and Secret Service everywhere. Dick Cheney, of course, had the helicopter drop him off at the back entrance.

The crowd was 1000 "just get me outta here" cadets, the Corps' underclass, and about 8000 families & relatives. The process ran like a well-oiled machine through the various speeches. The Academic Dean made a comment about the ones who managed to stay ahead of him and who were thus recommended for their degrees. (The "Anchor Man", the class's lowest-ranked graduate, had a 2.003 GPA and received about $2000 in classmate & alumni donations.) After the cadets picked up their diplomas, reps from the Class of '57 met them behind the stage and presented them with their first set of 2LT bars. Kids lined the back of the field for the cadet hat toss and had a mad souvenir scramble. Older kids saluted the cadets, hoping to be the first to do so and to be rewarded with a silver dollar. It was a great feel-good time all around.

The cadets were in their cadet graduation uniforms, of course, so they had their own scramble back to their rooms to change into regular Army commissioned-officer greens for their "barring ceremonies" scattered around the campus. My nephew and his Combat Weapons Team buddies chose to have their officer supervisor administer their oaths on the firearms range. They followed up by rapid-firing their last USMA pistol loads into their targets and we broke for a Subway lunch.

Cheney had one final chance to redeem himself in my eyes. He could've celebrated the cadets and their day by talking about them and their accomplishments with more bright prospects, but instead he chose to give a political "big picture" speech that attempted to rouse the rabble by warning us of the scary terrorists about to slaughter us in our beds. What a downer, and it should've just been read directly into the congressional record. Thanks, Dick, great way to start an infantry career, you have a nice life too. The Army Chief of Staff gave a much better (and more entertaining) speech at the Family Banquet the night before, so hopefully no one holds his performance against him.

We had a good celebration dinner with my nephew's girlfriend and her family (he's upgraded from dating midshipmen to dating fellow 2LTs). After he & she take care of a few weeks' leave he's spending about two years in training-- basic officer leadership, infantry officer's school, miscellaneous skills schools, Ranger School, and finally Special Forces training. His only reservation is that at age 25 he feels like he's getting a bit old for all this physical abuse…

We're spending the rest of Sunday rounding everyone up, moving out of the Greater Metropolitan Fishkill hotel, returning the cars, getting to the train station, and mounting our Manhattan invasion. What could possibly go wrong?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 06:40 AM   #26

Dh is working, I'm still recovering from surgery so it's a quiet weekend here. Parents may have a cookout tomorrow and if I'm up to it we may go to the parade in town. Pretty much the normal Memorial Day weekend here except I'd be working on planting annuals around the yard, my nephew is coming to help me out this week for some extra summer cash

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 08:58 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
His only reservation is that at age 25 he feels like he's getting a bit old for all this physical abuse…

You can feel free to share the collective naughty gestures issued by everyone here...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:14 AM   #28

Quote:
We're spending the rest of Sunday rounding everyone up, moving out of the Greater Metropolitan Fishkill hotel, returning the cars, getting to the train station, and mounting our Manhattan invasion.
Isn't the mid-Hudson valley a beautiful place? To get from West Point to Fishkill you probably crossed the river at Bear Mtn, right? I grew up in the little town right across the river from West Point, Cold Spring, NY.

Mike D.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:22 AM   #29

Back on Topic

We visited our neighbor's pet goat farm to meet the goats and see the new babies. They are very cute and loved the bread and sugar cookies that we brought with us.

Mike D.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg goatBread.jpg (57.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg goatCookie.jpg (51.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-27-2007, 09:11 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
You can feel free to share the collective naughty gestures issued by everyone here...
Well, he did get caught in the backsplash when frosty beverage spewed from my mouth as I choked over his comment.

Otherwise I reserve those gestures for the day when I can do as many pushups as he can do pullups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Isn't the mid-Hudson valley a beautiful place? To get from West Point to Fishkill you probably crossed the river at Bear Mtn, right? I grew up in the little town right across the river from West Point, Cold Spring, NY.
Beautiful. Sure. All I could think about was how "beautiful" it must look under all those January snowdrifts. The fire hydrants even have three-foot-tall red & white striped fiberglass poles on top so that the firefighters can find them. Which probably isn't much good unless they bring a defroster too. My nephew kept pointing out all the places where he's slipped on the ice and abraded/broken various parts of his anatomy.

Going south on the Bear Mountain road, at the top of the pass, as you go over the top of the hill you look down the other side and it's a huge dropoff with just two flimsy concrete barriers between you and the world's longest hang time...

Gimme aloha and the Ko'olau any day. This trip is making me appreciate home even more.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 09:37 PM   #31
Administrator

Saturday - drove the roadster around all day (which was sunny and hot). Lunch in Kent, CT, a very lovely little town

Today - went to church; mowed the lawn; lunch out; roto-tilled the flower bed for the young wife; power washed the porches

Tomorrow - relax; grill some steaks and drink some wine.
Old 05-27-2007, 10:12 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Well, he did get caught in the backsplash when frosty beverage spewed from my mouth as I choked over his comment.

Otherwise I reserve those gestures for the day when I can do as many pushups as he can do pullups.

Beautiful. Sure. All I could think about was how "beautiful" it must look under all those January snowdrifts. The fire hydrants even have three-foot-tall red & white striped fiberglass poles on top so that the firefighters can find them. Which probably isn't much good unless they bring a defroster too. My nephew kept pointing out all the places where he's slipped on the ice and abraded/broken various parts of his anatomy.

Going south on the Bear Mountain road, at the top of the pass, as you go over the top of the hill you look down the other side and it's a huge dropoff with just two flimsy concrete barriers between you and the world's longest hang time...

Gimme aloha and the Ko'olau any day. This trip is making me appreciate home even more.
I grew up in the Hudson Valley. Somewhere there is a picture of my mother sitting on top of a snowbank next to the top two feet of a utility pole.

Once we were cut off for three days (electricity stayed on), the drifts were too deep to plow. They brought in front loaders and trucks and dumped the snow into the river.

I wax nostalgic.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:36 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

And then there were the times we had to walk to school...800 miles each way...and uphill in both directions...through hundreds of feet of snow, barbed icicles thrown at us by giant yeti's...and this after spending the night in our house at -300 degrees, clinging to the windowsills because we couldnt afford floors. Fortunately we had a hearty breakfast of hot gravel which we harvested ourselves at 3am (so we had time to get to school of course) from a mine we dug under the house.

We really appreciated that house a few years later when we had to move and live in the middle of a road. We enjoyed the snow then, as we could heap it around us as protection from the snow plows and yeti's.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:59 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

We went to West Point (graduation of relative?) when I was about four years old, and I still remember the experience; thanks for the reminder, Nords.

We've had a tradition of driving up the coast about 80 miles to a town in Oregon every memorial day. I think we'll skip it today, and spend the $48 we'll save on driving costs on a nice breakfast.
Old 05-28-2007, 02:16 PM   #35

Just finished first tour of the year. Perfect weather (highs around 70, light winds).

Saturday - rode 100m down to Escondido, CA on coastal route
Sunday - rode 74m up to Corona on I15 frontage route
Monday - rode 62m home to Long Beach on Santa Ana River / coast route
Old 05-28-2007, 02:47 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

It's been raining very hard for three days in the Houston area (with small breaks between consecutive hard rains) and most of the city seems to be staying indoors this holiday. My neighborhood looks like a ghost town when I venture outside...I did manage to power wash my driveway this morning before the heavier rains hit the area, though.

From what I hear, the rain is much lighter down on Galveston Island and the beaches there may be the place to be today...but I'm about 75 miles north of the island and I don't want to take the chance of driving that far for nothing, not to mention the probable crowds and traffic problems.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:54 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I spent part of Saturday and Sunday at Seattle Folk Life Festival. I've been going for years, an always have a good time. I have some friends that I mainly see there-people who live out in the country, or who are from other cities. There is a pretty large group who come from the Bay Area or Sacramento. Sunday night I watched the very moving Memorial Day Tribute from DC. This evening if I have the energy I may go back to Folk Life for the finale.

Ha
Old 05-28-2007, 04:13 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

DGF had guests (an old h.s. friend and family).

Friday: humongous breakfast, visited JFK museum (i.e. the old Texas School Book Depository), had Tex-Mex at La Hacienda for dinner, then went to a double-A baseball game, only to be rained-out...

Saturday: make-up baseball game, dinner at Maggiano's. More rain...

Sunday: ribs, beer, and assorted trimmings on the BBQ. More rain...

Monday: w*rk...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 09:02 PM   #39

Albany, NY - saw some fam, visited a few breweries and drank all kinds of different beer
Saratoga Lake - smaller than most mega-lakes in the region but nice
Saratoga Springs - awesome town BTW, they planned it right; real estate prices are really rising in the area; saw some 1 bd condos right off the strip for 500k
Lake George - a bit crowded but nice first visit
Prospect Mountain - it was a clear day and we could see Vermont's Green Mtns off in the distance

Good weekend