Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Miguel and Michele Suarez
Old 11-30-2006, 06:52 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azanon
Fair enough, but my only point is that its one thing to have nothing and need a couple hundred thousand to pay for retirement, and quite another to actually own something worth a couple hundred thousand and simply convert/liquidate that asset to cash.

No one will just loan you 200K for nothing, but they will pay you 200K for a house; including a bank. I see a difference there.
If you were selling the house, the buyer would be getting all of the upside on the deal as well as the downside. If you are borrowing aganst the deal, the lender gets none of the upside and much of the downside. See the difference?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2006, 09:14 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I have no quarrel with solving the problem for the kid's education. I just think they're going about it the wrong way. There's more than one way to skin a cat, and surely a decent FA can find an alternative to cutting an already modest retirement contribution rate.
And I would bet this FA did suggest a number of alternatives. The million dollar issue is finding an alternative that is acceptable to a couple who need a serious attitude adjustment about spending, etc. And that will fit in a page and a half of text for a mag article.

I'm certain we can assume the advice given in one of these articles has been reviewed a number of times. An FA's living is his advice, thus putting it out for all to review and critic is major. Especially, this type of advice.

I'm a half full person. Thus, I choose to assume this FA has done his homework and is trying to resolve a serious budgeting issue here.

How long ago did you go to grad school ? Are you sure the >1000 GRE gets you in grad school still exists today ?
HelpMeRhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 09:15 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpMeRhonda
How long ago did you go to grad school ? Are you sure the >1000 GRE gets you in grad school still exists today ?
Sure it still exists. But only if you want to go to East Butt Plug Community University.

- George Orwell

Old 11-30-2006, 09:20 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Sure it still exists. But only if you want to go to East Butt Plug Community University.
@#$% Brewer !!!, I just spit coffee all over my computer !!!
Old 11-30-2006, 09:51 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I didn't say any grad school, but you can get into grad school with that and get it paid for. I know breaking 1000* got me full tuition remission at Baylor University, and Baylor U is no slouch school. I got well over that too, but they made it clear that was the magic number.

* that score excludes the analytical score. I'm not sure if its customary to do that all across the US but it is where I live.
What was your degree in? Baylor is a fine university...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 10:27 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Send the bills to Az.

- George Orwell

Old 11-30-2006, 12:05 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I can hear our school song now... Theme from Deliverance!!

Sorta brings a tear to my eye... :P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 02:25 PM   #48
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooreBonds
The net worth of the couple was lopsided by the home equity....IIRC, about 3/4 of their entire net worth was tied up in the house equity.
This is exactly why they should consider converting some of this home equity into another asset class. Well, that and the fact that doing so will also improve their net worth by a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooreBonds
If you take out a secondary loan against your house for $500k and take out 90% of your equity, you'd be left with $1MM in home with $900k in loans.
I agree with you -- that doesn't sound like a good idea. Did the advisor say to take out $500k of equity? (You didn't mention a dollar amount when you first told the story.) I would take out a lot less, say $200k.

Ok, so here's the situation...

Couple has a $1MM home with a mortgage of about $400k. This leaves equity of $600k, which is 3/4 of their total net worth of $800k.

If mortgage rates are favorable, say, in the 6% range or less, why not refinance and take out an extra $200k? Invest it in a stock index fund. Now they've got $400k home equity and $400k in other investments. Seems less risky than $600k/200k to me.

Plus, investing that money in a lump sum should give them an extra $1.6 million after 30 years.

Would you agree, MooreBonds?
furpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 10:33 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
So, you think I should advise people to dramatically decrease their retirement portfolio, when $30 billion plus a year in financial aid is not applied for?? Interesting...........
How much of that $30B in financial aid is available to a college student who's parents make $100K per year and have a net worth of $1M? Not talking academic scholarships or student loans.
Hydroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 11:23 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydroman
How much of that $30B in financial aid is available to a college student who's parents make $100K per year and have a net worth of $1M? Not talking academic scholarships or student loans.
At some point we need to ask, "how should be available ?"
Old 12-09-2006, 12:23 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
At some point we need to ask, "how should be available ?"
Agree. That question also needs to extended to those who make a conscious decision to ER with a significantly reduced income from their working years and then have their kids apply for college financial aid based on the lower income? Kind of a form of quitting ones job and then applying for welfare.
Hydroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 01:14 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Agree. That question also needs to extended to those who make a conscious decision to ER with a significantly reduced income from their working years and then have their kids apply for college financial aid based on the lower income? Kind of a form of quitting ones job and then applying for welfare.
Also agreed
Old 12-11-2006, 08:19 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If the parents make over $100K a year, have a net worth of $1 M plus, are committed to LBYM, and believe an education is important, would they not support the child's education??

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 02:52 PM   #54
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Your reading comprehension lacks something to be desired, I guess. I said it was specifically at Baylor U, which definitely does not fit that description. Try to focus brewer. Also try to separate personal thoughts you have evidenced by your jokes from others.
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 02:53 PM   #55

Quote:
You find humor in your ignorance? This is not an insult, i'm seriously asking you because what i said was true; 1000+ (math and verbal) got you full tuitition remission in the Baylor Biology Dept when i went in.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:53 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
What was your degree in? Baylor is a fine university...........
My degrees are in Biology. And yeah, i think so too.......
Old 12-11-2006, 02:54 PM   #57

Quote:
Send the bills to Az.
You truly are an idiot sometime.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:02 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You truly are an idiot sometime.
Hey, Ding Dong Daddy: let me know when you are ready to get down to "yo momma" jokes...

- George Orwell

Old 12-11-2006, 04:38 PM   #59
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Your reading comprehension lacks something to be desired, I guess.
I hate to tell you this, but the above sentence is a double negative. Since it "lacks something to be desired" there is nothing to be desired, therefore his comprehension is great. The phrase should be "leaves something to be desired."

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 04:46 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
You find humor in your ignorance? This is not an insult, i'm seriously asking you because what i said was true; 1000+ (math and verbal) got you full tuitition remission in the Baylor Biology Dept when i went in.
Not worth the hassle. Simply isn't enough value coming from your posts to warrant the BS.