Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-08-2007, 09:15 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

With a name like Citrine, you must be partial to gemstones.

My favourites are amethyst and blue topaz......but I have a spectacular citrine set in a silver ring that I bought for a couple of hundred dollars.

Who needs diamonds anyway?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2007, 09:24 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Citrine is my birthstone.....and I love gems of all sorts....amethyst is also one of my favorites. I also love the fact that each stone has its own healing power and qualities.

Not to stray too far from the topic....but except from a few indulgences, I sock away as much as I can from my salary, windfall, my paintings. This year has been a bit expensive already.....medical complications with my cat, setting up the studio in the apartment, adopting two new kittens, and hopefully a trip to Arizona in November.
But I still hope to pass the 170K by 12/31/07! Will keep you posted

Old 07-08-2007, 09:42 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Aha.....an artist!

Guess we know what you plan to do in RE!!!!
Old 07-08-2007, 09:52 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Re: Milestone

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj86 View Post
Probably a newby question, but what is LBYM?

I guess it has something to do with indexing?
LBYM... isn't that "Leave ($) beneath your matress"
Old 07-08-2007, 09:25 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileydog View Post
LBYM... isn't that "Leave ($) beneath your matress"
Might be kinda lumpy - I only keep rolled change around the house
Old 07-08-2007, 09:56 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrine View Post
Jay:

Cubic Zirconia just doesn't sparkle like diamonds do!
And Jewelry is an investment....they would retain their value if I ever need to sell them!

Citrine

Try silicon carbide - higher refractive index than diamond (although slightly softer on the mohs scale). It is doubly refractive due to the combined elemental structure, but I doubt most people could see a difference with close examination even if told.

As for jewelry being an investment? All of my (very limited) second-hand experience has been massive initial depreciation followed by appreciation that significantly lags CD rates.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:56 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cho oyu View Post
As for jewelry being an investment? All of my (very limited) second-hand experience has been massive initial depreciation followed by appreciation that significantly lags CD rates.
Agreed. The "it's an investment" rationale can be used to justify all sorts of dubious purchases: e.g., boats, clothing, classic sportscars, 'collectables', etc.

However, it is clear that citrine has good spending habits. We all need a few fun and frivolous things in our lives, and if she enjoys diamonds, who am I to criticize?
Old 07-19-2007, 01:54 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
Agreed. The "it's an investment" rationale can be used to justify all sorts of dubious purchases: e.g., boats, clothing, classic sportscars, 'collectables', etc.

However, it is clear that citrine has good spending habits. We all need a few fun and frivolous things in our lives, and if she enjoys diamonds, who am I to criticize?
I certainly didn't intend to criticize - there's no reasonable way to, say, justify having as many bicycles as I do.

I took the comment on investment as being straight, not sarcastic. Perhaps I need to inject more humour and laughter into my life?
Old 07-19-2007, 10:02 AM   #29

The idea that jewelry is an investment is a cultural thing I think....indian women are sent off to their husband's house with a lot of gold and jewels....in case anything were to happen, she could sell the pieces and live off the money.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:50 AM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Traditionally the attraction with diamonds or even precious metals is that when the invading army is approaching you can gather your wealth and flee. Some believe that diamonds and precious metals have universal value wherever you may have to go.

Try to do that with your investment properties, stock certificates/mutual funds, or your bank CD's
Old 07-19-2007, 01:13 PM   #31
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post
Traditionally the attraction with diamonds or even precious metals is that when the invading army is approaching you can gather your wealth and flee. Some believe that diamonds and precious metals have universal value wherever you may have to go.

Try to do that with your investment properties, stock certificates/mutual funds, or your bank CD's
I did all right with my bank and investment accounts when I fled New Orleans just before Katrina made landfall. But then, maybe you were thinking of some destination more remote than Huntsville and then Troy, Alabama, where I ended up.

(More remote than Troy, Alabama? What am I saying? LOL)

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 09:13 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Citrine- Congratulations on hitting 3 multiples and your maxing of both retirement accounts. Filling both accounts worked well for me. You are past the hard part, so from here on it is the same, but easier. You will get to FI/RE while your co-workers are still refinancing their homes for a new car. Why pay interest when the same money could go to retirement savings, it is just a different choice.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:19 AM   #33
Dryer sheet wannabe

Congratulations!! It really is awesome!!

(I'll be 32 next year but am nowhere near! Okay, I also live on another continent, but still.. Very impressive.)

& Hello from a fellow wanna-be artist!
(You're ahead of me too, with the studio and the exhibition!)

P.S. A documentary on TV said that diamonds are still the quickest and easiest way to carry a lot of money abroad (it was about smugglers in Africa, but still.. )

Rewarding yourself with them upon your FIRE day seems quite appropriate! (as long as you keep 'em insured, I suppose!)
Old 09-12-2007, 12:14 PM   #34

Thanks Freeline.....I sold all of my furniture and use my apartment for the studio....great tax deductions at the end of the year!
It is kind of nice to not have much furniture or things to take care of.....very liberating!
Old 09-12-2007, 12:26 PM   #35
Dryer sheet wannabe

Wow! Inspiring!!

But I guess you don't sleep in the studio, but elsewere-?