milestone reached!

Is this an issue with my browser, or are you posting squares?

I believe it's an iOS emoji (it's hands clapping). Shows up fine on my iPad, but may not work on a PC or android device.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Good job saving OP. 400k is our finish line (at least I hope it is lol) keep on saving and you will find yourself able to walk off the hamster wheel much earlier than you planned.

In 2002 our after-tax account dipped to $78K. I remember that number for some reason. It quintupled by 2008, despite being underemployed and underpaid for 3 of the 6 years. Last year we saw a 25% return, so of course that can 't continue. Look at the numbers, but stay the course.

Our nest egg lost $50k in last couple months, with the down turn in the market. Although we recovered about 1/2 seeing it down that much was a surprise. I know it is all funny money till you sell, and I know ups and downs, I went through 87 without a panic, and haven't made any rash decisions due to market moves, but that was first time I have seen the paper loss of that much. Ouch. It was only about 6%, but it was $50K!!!

Our nest egg lost $50k in last couple months, with the down turn in the market. Although we recovered about 1/2 seeing it down that much was a surprise. I know it is all funny money till you sell, and I know ups and downs, I went through 87 without a panic, and haven't made any rash decisions due to market moves, but that was first time I have seen the paper loss of that much. Ouch. It was only about 6%, but it was $50K!!!

Every time the big paper loss hits(and each one is always bigger than the last) i think to myself "wow, i can lose XX,000 in days, and the bills are still paid. I must be ok"

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

The roller coaster continues... Today we made it back up over the 400k mark. Hopefully this threshold will stick now.

The roller coaster continues... Today we made it back up over the 400k mark. Hopefully this threshold will stick now.

Keep throwing cash at it, it will bounce. We are almost back to the highs already. Just don't let fear ever convince you to lock in losses.

I was able to throw some cash at it during the downturn. I'll have some more next week to throw in. My spreadsheet still shows that I'll be OK to retire at 50.

I was able to throw some cash at it during the downturn. I'll have some more next week to throw in. My spreadsheet still shows that I'll be OK to retire at 50.

even if your spreadsheet said you were screwed, you would probably still be fine, assuming no panic actions. many in their sixties retire on 400-500 and do just fine.

We're at about $430k. Getting closer, but my etfs have only returned about 2% since July. I guess when you average it with 2013 returns, it's not so bad.
We're at the significant point in investing where our available cash is not enough to patch holes when the market downturns. The volatility definitely is more stressful when net worth is higher!

Rising stock values now will make your retirement portfolio lower (assuming you are investing monthly and returns average out over time).

So root for stock market crashes.

Back
Top Bottom